• slim jim

Official News Guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    DOES YOUR SHERIFFS HAVE ONE OF THESE?

SHERIFF.jpg

LOOK HERE TOO:

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Polyg...s:/ap/20080416/ap_on_re_us/polygamist_retreat
    Military Camp

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Haha, that's pretty cool. I want a M113. I've seen a few different county Sheriff's departments that have them or something similar. I don't see anything wrong with that. Some people get bent out of shape about the whole "militarization" of the police (kind of a misnomer IMO). Personally I look at it like this. They are there to do a job that could likely become dangerous and bullets could start flying. Because of that possibility they wear body armor and carry weapons like M4's and Mp5's so that they will have sufficient ability to return fire if they come under fire. I mean they are putting themselves in harm's way, so why shouldn't they do everything possible to protect themselves? Some people act like SWAT teams should be issued pink tu tu's, stacking up on the compound armed only with .38 cal revolvers, politely announcing their presence so as to not scare anyone inside.

In this situation, judging by some of the aerial photos I've seen the compound appears to be 3 stories tall and quite large. On top of that it looks like there is a pretty large amount of open ground to cover up to the compound. Because of that, in a worst case scenario, anyone held up in the compound could have the advantage of high ground and a lack of cover up to the compound so things could go south very quickly. So what do can the SWAT team do? They use an armored vehicle to transport them more safely up to the compound. People see tactical gear, "assault rifles", and armored vehicles and they sometimes get all bent out of shape thinking the police are somehow "declaring war" on civilians. That's just preposterous. Now the day when the police are rolling armored vehicles up and calling in air support and arty strikes (I'm joking obviously) on a house they are doing a no knock warrant search for because the owner forgot to pay a parking ticket, then that is the day they will have gone too far.

Oh yeah, and if they had a M2 .50bmg or Mk19 40mm mounted on that M113, well then that would be a little overboard.

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    I used to live in Midland Couny; three of our kids were born there. One of them lives there again now with his family. Never realized they had any armour.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I think they were expecting another Waco.Kind of weird that Midland has one for such a small county.They have no armored vehicles in my town which is having a drug war across the river in Juarez.

Moe Howard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    That thing came in handy when they helped enter that LDS compound in El Dorado. Midland is the only SWAT team anywhere in the vicinity that has such a thing.

shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Now the day when the police are rolling armored vehicles up and calling in air support and arty strikes (I'm joking obviously) on a house they are doing a no knock warrant search for because the owner forgot to pay a parking ticket, then that is the day they will have gone too far.
    So did the Philly PD come close in '85?

shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Care to elaborate? Offhand I can't think of what you are referring to.
    Sorry for raising this thread from the dead; I haven't been on for a while and I just now saw this.

I was referring to the MOVE group:

I [obviously, I hope] don't agree with the [expletive]-heads... much like I didn't agree with Branch Davidian philosophy, or with Randy Weaver's... I only mentioned it because it [IMO] came close to meeting the conditions HK_Fiend [jokingly/sarcastically] laid out.

Now the day when the police are rolling armored vehicles up and calling in air support and arty strikes (I'm joking obviously) on a house they are doing a no knock warrant search for because the owner forgot to pay a parking ticket, then that is the day they will have gone too far.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Damn! That's pretty messed up. The police dropped a bomb made out of C4 on the house and fired over 10,000 rounds into it?! Wow.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    So the cops dropped a C4 bomb on the house and let it burn to the ground! That is kinda shitty! Okay that is really shitty, there were kids in that house.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Most agencies that have any armor at all get them as hand-me-downs from DRMO or other, larger agencies. We have a hand-me-down from DPS. There is a significant negative backlash to deploying such a vehicle so we do so sparingly. We do not want to get a reputation of being overly militaristic so it is used only in "special occasions"

Top Bottom