• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    In Texas, can a deer hunter still get in trouble for possessing one LEASHED dog while hunting? How about if the LEASHED pooch is even tied up at the deer stand?

Is the leash on the hound proof enough to the game warden that the dog is not actually a method of take, an instrument to the hunt?
    DK Firearms

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    From the code of conduct:

“Excessive Thread Creation
    Creating an excessive number of threads or threads that lack substance makes it difficult for members to find information and track more useful threads. If a thread already exists on a topic do not create another covering virtually the same topic. If the thread consists nothing more than a random off topic though it is probably not worthy of its own thread. These threads may be locked or deleted and members guilty of starting such disruptive threads will be removed at the forums discretion.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    In Texas, can a deer hunter still get in trouble for possessing one LEASHED dog while hunting? How about if the LEASHED pooch is even tied up at the deer stand?

Is the leash on the hound proof enough to the game warden that the dog is not actually a method of take, an instrument to the hunt?
    Okay. Which hunting book from 40+ years ago told you to bring a dog to your deer stand?

I have never actually hunter deer....... in 3, 2, 1.....

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

Creating an excessive number of threads or threads that lack substance makes it difficult for members to find information and track more useful threads. If a thread already exists on a topic do not create another covering virtually the same topic. If the thread consists nothing more than a random off topic though it is probably not worthy of its own thread. These threads may be locked or deleted and members guilty of starting such disruptive threads will be removed AGAIN at the forums discretion.”

FIFY.

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx

Creating an excessive number of threads or threads that lack substance makes it difficult for members to find information and track more useful threads. If a thread already exists on a topic do not create another covering virtually the same topic. If the thread consists nothing more than a random off topic though it is probably not worthy of its own thread. These threads may be locked or deleted and members guilty of starting such disruptive threads will be removed at the forums discretion.”

The above does not pertain to me. This is a serious thread. There is nothing else at this site covering this. I ran a search already. A serious question was asked. I wasn't aware that there is posting quota for site members. Nothing on Google has been able to answer my question. It might not be an important question to some but it is important to me. If no person here is able to answer my question, I will ask the game authorities then. I don't want to get busted (fined, jailed) for having a dog in the field where I'm not allowed to have one. I don't want to put any dog in danger of getting shot where the dog isn't welcome or supposed to be. I'm a serious conservationist. My aim is to employ dogs in the pursuit of game to the extent the law allows. The TPWD website doesn't even cover dogs and big game.

I have emailed the TPWD the following serious questions regarding dogs and I'm waiting for a response.

1. Is it lawful in TX to use one or more dogs to blood-trail wounded deer?

2. What is the limit for the number of dogs that may be used?

3. Must the dogs be leashed?

4. May a deer hunter lawfully be in immediate possession of at least one leashed/tied-up dog while hunting deer?

5. May a deer hunter lawfully have possession of any leashed/tied-up dog while actively pursuing such game for companionship or personal security in the field or as a "service animal"?

6. Should prospective deer hunters ask land owners/managers about the use or possession of personal dogs first?

Last edited:

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    Okay. Which hunting book from 40+ years ago told you to bring a dog to your deer stand?

I have never actually hunter deer....... in 3, 2, 1.....

No such book. Of course, if the present-day LAW tells me not to, I won't. An ethical hunter still must follow the law and the wishes of the land owner or manager regarding the rules.

Even my 1970's dove book tells me to follow the game laws and first get permission from private landowners. Dogs on feathered game afield are pretty much commonplace all over. Most states have restrictions for dogs on big game.

Last edited:

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    Why don't you ask the person whose property you are hunting on?
    They may not want you to even if it's legal.
    Of course, I would always ask the property owner as well. The property owner might be rancher or farmer and dogs and livestock might be an issue. I still want to know what the state game authorities have to say about it. The property owner might OK dogs under certain conditions but the law might not allow it still.

Top Bottom