Guns International

Doing favors doesn't pay, that's for sure.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So tonight I wound up not having enough time to look at another TGT member's car because of what happened with another car-related favor I had to do. Before I start, let me say for the record that the TGT member is being very cool about everything and isn't being demanding or torpedoing my weekend like the person I'm about to rant about.

It all started the other night, when my wife gets a phone call and tells me that her manager's car is dead and could I please go have a quick look at it? It's almost 10 at night, but the guy doesn't have any other form of transportation (which is an utter POS) so I agree. I grab what few tools I keep around the house that might help me figure out and hopefully fix the problem, pile the wife into the car and go pick the guy up at work. He gets out of work (with his brother who he lives with... and both need a ride) and we head over to the scene to see what's up, where we meet with brother #3. The car is dead - cranks over great but won't start, which is an improvement on the last no-start I fixed on this car. I wind up not even using the tools I brought, I simply started with the basics.

Spark? Yep, I can hear it popping like mad when I pull a wire part-way off a coil. Fuel? I take the cap off the Schrader valve and push down on the valve... no fuel come shooting out at me. Not even a dribble. No pressure at all. Houston, we have a problem.

I spend a few minutes doing little more than poking at the car with a stick to make sure it is indeed dead and asking questions like "it's not out of gas, is it?" "You're sure the fuel gauge is accurate?" By the end of the night, I'm stuffing the trio into the back seat of a Grand Am so they can ride home, and we've agreed that I'll price parts and fix his car for him Saturday after I was done working at noon.

I was not looking forward to this at all, since the car is a mid-90s Camaro, and changing the fuel pump means removing the rear axle and exhaust from the car. What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday afternoon. They asked if I could fix it sooner, on the ground. I laughed out loud.

The fun started after I priced the parts. They were too expensive (probably because I priced out OEM stuff - cheap parts suck), so they were going to get their own. This worried me since finding parts on a Saturday afternoon takes an act of Congress, but I figured that if they got the wrong pump, I'd just have to push the car into the parking lot and let it sit for the weekend - not my fault if that happens, so my worries went away. This, after my wife asked me if I could fix the car for only $150. Yeah... right. $150 barely was going to cover parts. I'd like to see some money for my troubles.

So today at around 11AM, I start getting that worried feeling again when the car hadn't been towed to the shop yet. I like to have everything lined up neatly before starting something like this, because one little hiccup and things will go very badly indeed. So I call the wife's boss, and he sounds like he's just waking up! Worries returning big time!!! I let him know that it's nearing noon, and that since I do not have a key to the shop and will be locking a door behind me when I leave that means that when I leave, I can't come back... Implication here is that I'll be forced into a choice between sitting around waiting for hours on end or simply telling him to piss up a rope.

I'd have offered to do it next weekend, but I'll be at the Reliant next Saturday. Didn't tell him that I wouldn't be in town, either, so he may have been mistakenly counting on me doing this next weekend if this weekend fell through. I'll admit, it would have been worth the look on his face.

So they call a tow truck... and my wife has to go pick one of them up so that he can meet the tow so they can give him a key. Tow driver is getting pissed because they called him with no way to get to the car, and he's wasting time idling around waiting for them to get there so he can get on to other jobs. Oh joy.

They get it all settled out, the tow truck arrives pretty well after noon (grrr), and I get the beastly job knocked out. I finally cleared the shop after 6:30, called the TGT member and he tells me that tomorrow would be fine. I really hadn't called to bail on him - I wanted directions to his house - but was pretty relieved when he suggested it.

On top of it all, the exhaust that this guy's brother had someone put on the Camaro was a total POS, and I had to cut a couple of the hangers to get it off, then weld them back on again... along with welding up a multitude of holes that the previous welder missed because he was inept/retarded or maybe simply blind - the booger welds he left behind suggest all three. The only good thing that came about was that I didn't wind up pulling the axle assembly completely off - I pulled it most of the way out and let it droop there at the ends of the control arms. I didn't want to have to tear the rear brakes apart (the car has drums) to take the parking brake cables off, too... That would have added another hour, easy.

And at the end of all this ordeal, one of them offered to give me a few bucks, he had maybe $50 he could pay me on the spot. I told him we'd settle up later when he could afford it. Honestly, the amount of labor charge for that job (at $40/hour - my buddy rate - 4.6 hours for the fuel pump, figure you can add in another .5 for the fuel filter and I don't even care about ten minutes' welding) is high enough that it would be like offering to pay $2.50 for the meal your family just ate in a decent restaraunt. Not much more than a token... or an insult.

So that's my weekend so far. How's yours?

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Sounds like you should have wired an external kill switch to the pump so if they don't pay up you can hit the switch and when they call you to fix it again tell them to pay in advance and hold the car for a few hours, hit the switch then call them back!

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    When stuff like that happens to me I just hope there is such thing as karma that is really cool of you to help people out. Even though it was a rough deal you feel good doin it huh.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Sorry to hear about your lost weekend... I can relate... been there before. Finally got tired of it. Now the only ones I do "favors" for are my parents and close family. Every body else pays cash, or trade....the only time I will consider a charity case is if I feel they deserve it. Helping someone is fine, but having them dump the entire repair on you is B.S. MG

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    We have a generation of mangers who believe they own you 24 hrs per day,personally I will give all I got while on the job but when I walk out the door it's my life,cell phones, email, end at the door. Its a large contributor to the break down of families.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have two seemingly contradictory statements;

1) No good deed goes unpunished. Author unknown

2) No one can take advantage of you without your permission- Dr Phil. ;)

That said, you are a good guy, and good things eventually befall good guys.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    We have a generation of mangers who believe they own you 24 hrs per day,personally I will give all I got while on the job but when I walk out the door it's my life,cell phones, email, end at the door. Its a large contributor to the break down of families.

This couldnt be more true. I worked the late shift, but when my boss called me at midnight and asked me to finish a part, I said sure, i could do that, you know, because my weekend was starting, and I needed the money for next weekend for bills. I finished the part at 0400, and at 0630 he calls me again to see if I wanted to come back in for a few hours to work on another part. Of course, I havent went to sleep, but I obliged. I ended up working again until 1300 on a Saturday, but hell it was double time. By this time, I am exhausted and its still a 30 mile drive home. He called me again, this time at 1530 the same day, and mind you, I havent slept yet, now for two days, and I finally became irrate and basically told him to go F** himself. I come to work on Monday and he tries to write me up, but let me tell you, the Union had fun with this, and nothing else came of it. So yes, I understand the mentality of the modern day managers and supervisors, and truthfully, they're mostly all a**holes. My wife and I were on the verge of divorce because of my job, but when they laid me off, it was a Godsend. Sorry to hijack...

Rock on!

Brad L.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I God I trust - All other pay CASH up front!!!!
    I remember those deals when I had my shop.
    After a got screwed a few times I figured on a better way to discourage such requests.
    I reduced my hourly rate only if they came down to the shop and played "Shop Monkey"
    They cleaned bays, walls, restrooms, ect..

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I God I trust - All other pay CASH up front!!!!
    I remember those deals when I had my shop.
    After a got screwed a few times I figured on a better way to discourage such requests.
    I reduced my hourly rate only if they came down to the shop and played "Shop Monkey"
    They cleaned bays, walls, restrooms, ect..
    An excellent way to discourage such sh*t heads. Hey M. I've this problem with my Pathfinder would you consider ....................... J/K. I hope you maneged to salvage some weekend out of your week end.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I forgot to mention that this guy is a liberal Democrat. Yeah, he's all about everybody getting their "free" health care. Somehow I don't have this problem when I work for conservatives or (especially) libertarians.

An excellent way to discourage such sh*t heads. Hey M. I've this problem with my Pathfinder would you consider ....................... J/K. I hope you maneged to salvage some weekend out of your week end.

Dude, unless you're a closet Obama supporter, I'm willing to trust you. :p

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom