• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Did anyone else here get a chance to see this? For the last couple of months, every morning at 8 A.M. Spike TV was playing four different shows about personal protection, three of which centered around encouraging gun ownership. Most of the advertisements consisted of either guns or gun gear (and an extremely annoying Macy's commercial!). Very strange to see such a concept on TV.

My favorite was Conceal and Carry School, which documented a class of students learning how to responsibly use firearms. Each one gave their back-story and why they wanted to learn to use guns (usually because they were victims of crimes). Their progress through the class was tracked and they were all followed-up on one year after graduation.

Unfortunately last week they decided to play the newest Rambo film instead, which makes me wonder if the block has been canceled.

At any rate, the episodes can all be found for free on Spike's website, here:

Don't Be a Victim | Real Attacks, Stories, Strategies and Tactics

The tabs on top will take you to each episode of each different show, listed in order.
    Gun Zone Deals

blackwater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    odessa
    Yeah I would watch it every saturday until I got conned into working saturday at my school for extra money to support my shooting habit, so I set up my dvr to record it and I noticed that too!!! I wonder if it will come back on? It was a great series if you ask me.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    One of the guys that does an occasional segment on "Dont be a Victim" is Phil Chalmers. He is an expert on kids who kill and a great speaker. I attended a training that he was at last month which was really informative. If you see an episode that he is on, check it out, it is worthwhile info.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I caught the season finale of this a few months ago when it was initially a first run... I hope that they get another group together and do another "season" later this year... For now the website gives us the reruns...

What did y'all think of that final test with the dude and chick fighting?

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    One of the guys that does an occasional segment on "Dont be a Victim" is Phil Chalmers. He is an expert on kids who kill and a great speaker. I attended a training that he was at last month which was really informative. If you see an episode that he is on, check it out, it is worthwhile info.

I'll keep an eye out for him when I get a chance to watch the reruns. Found his website and don't recall seeing him before. Sounds like a good guy doing some very under-appreciated work.

Some of the people they have on these shows are a tad silly, though. I hate the fact they give airtime to people who advocate using strobe flashlights to "Stun" your attacker.

There was even one episode which showed an instructor teaching students how to use Krav Maga to disarm someone holding a gun to your back. This was all done very slowly, of course. :rolleyes:

It's still a worthwhile block of programming. As a civilian I most value the stories of other civilians who were put into bad situations. It's good to get the story and their reactions. It makes me consider how I'd react in similar situations. (Police are often good to learn from, too, but they often tell stories about surviving situations someone like me wouldn't ever face.)

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    What did y'all think of that final test with the dude and chick fighting?

I probably wouldn't have got involved in the first place! If it looked like the guy was about to wail on the chick with a bat I would have drawn my piece, told him to leave, and told her to run. If she stayed, well, that's her ass. I would NOT get in between those two!

I think a big part of the reason so many students closed the gap with the bad guy is because earlier they were taught how to move forward while shooting. In real life this is a fairly useless skill for a non-LEO to have. I want as much space between me and Mr. Bad Guy as possible.

Don't bring Jeet Kune Do to a gunfight!

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I probably wouldn't have got involved in the first place! If it looked like the guy was about to wail on the chick with a bat I would have drawn my piece, told him to leave, and told her to run. If she stayed, well, that's her ass. I would NOT get in between those two!

Exactly that's what I'm thinking... it's a domestic dispute call it in and walk away...

codeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    TX

I think a big part of the reason so many students closed the gap with the bad guy is because earlier they were taught how to move forward while shooting. In real life this is a fairly useless skill for a non-LEO to have. I want as much space between me and Mr. Bad Guy as possible.

Don't bring Jeet Kune Do to a gunfight!
    +1 on not getting involved. I would have walked back into the bank and called the cops.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I think the instructors added that final test to gauge how trigger-happy their students have become more than anything else. You don't want a bunch of people going around playing hero or acting like no one can touch them now that they pack heat.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I think the instructors added that final test to gauge how trigger-happy their students have become more than anything else. You don't want a bunch of people going around playing hero or acting like no one can touch them now that they pack heat.

True but when only one student truly did the right thing and even that wasn't what we would have done... Then it kind of proves that the fear of trigger and confrontation happy people was right...

Top Bottom