• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Before I run off, I'm shark on a rampage today. I didn't intend to rip anyone personally. If I did let me know.

Yall have a good one.
    DK Firearms

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    This is stupid. I don't sell ammo but my suggestion to OP is to quit crying like a pissy little baby and get out earlier and get in line. You know where they're getting it. You know what time they're getting there. So get your cry baby ass out of bed, put on a fresh diaper, grab you a binky and go get in line.

I am sick of seeing threads started by people who are too lazy or too stupid to be able to buy ammo at non-panic prices. It's simple; do what everyone else does. Watch the classifieds threads closely (good deals are everywhere if you actively look for them), get up early and get in line at places like Walmart and Academy. Watch the Ammo availability threads on this forum, and last but not least quit whining about what others are doing with property that rightfully belongs to them. You are not only being a hypocrite (give your stuff away for what you paid when the market is going for 3 - 4 times. Bet you won't), but you are also breaking one of the Commandments by coveting.

I sold a couple of guns on ArmsList at the height of the panic, asked reasonable prices for the market condition and sold them to people who were elated to be able to get them and who no doubt gave them loving homes. Along the way I had a few assholes send me rude and idiotic messages hiding behind fake/throw away email accounts telling me what an asshole I was for listing my belongings for market price (I actually had them listed for less than most other similar items because I wanted them to move quickly). The messages didn't quite have the effect that the assholes thought they would. I just scanned over them and as soon as I saw it was not a buyer I'd just delete it and move on to the next one.

Don't be an asshole. Quit writing asshole messages to the sellers. If you are not interested in what they're selling or can't afford their asking price (and are too lazy/stupid to haggle) then move on to the next ad. There's no telling how many deals you missed while you were on your shame letter writing campaign.
    *ROARING APPLAUSE !!* Well said sir, well said.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    No you're right. I think everyone is getting a lesson.

We came back to the States in Feb 2009 after a few years overseas without firearms. We walked right into the first Obama-induced shortage. We had no choice. We couldn't prepare before hand. Since then we've had to work up until now. I think a few things changed since 2009 for us. We had to re-establish a US life, a home, vehicles, jobs, hobbies, etc. Overall the biggest factor on our perspectives about things we do? Politics and the awful leadership we have. I think going to prepper-like status is the only way to take care of ourselves from the market/outside forces of the household. This thing we are in now, it's tipping the scales for us.
    Then you should have seen the reelection as the time to stock up, not Sandy Hook. If you remember the first Obama induced shortage, you really have no excuse.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Then you should have seen the reelection as the time to stock up, not Sandy Hook. If you remember the first Obama induced shortage, you really have no excuse.

Hey, I remember this guy. :rolleyes:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Like others said stock up on some of the less desirable items now, or simply save up and buy more in bulk later.

Something else to think about...some of us are also weighing the ammo budget against other necessities we need to stock up on that aren't necessarily guns and ammo. For example, food prices have gone up significantly the last couple years. Hedging against inflated food prices requires a little up front investment in gardening enablers like drip irrigation, raised beds, food storage or other solutions. There's also other areas of your life where critical resources are still at great prices. Invest in those things now and buy up more ammo when those prices come back down.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Thanks TXR for a informative post with no attacks or accusations.
    Honestly, the name calling and bitching from both sides is getting real old, real quick.

+1
    While not illegal, karma is a real bitch, sometimes.

On a different note ...

I was shooting some of my stash this morning at a local range/gun store. Was chatting with the RO and owner when a guy walks in with a Sig 9mm and a box of ammo.

Said he was signed up to take his CHL class, had just bought the gun and wanted to run a few rounds through it before the class. Asked if there was any 9 and the store had none. Said he had found some in Weatherford for $30/box and would do what he had to do.

He explained that he had about a month before the state would no longer waive his fees due to his military service. Said he was a bosun's mate for 8 years.

I reached in my bag and handed him 100 rounds of S&B 115g FMJ and thanked him for his service.

Now THAT is FREE market ... :D

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    +1
    While not illegal, karma is a real bitch, sometimes.

On a different note ...

I was shooting some of my stash this morning at a local range/gun store. Was chatting with the RO and owner when a guy walks in with a Sig 9mm and a box of ammo.

Said he was signed up to take his CHL class, had just bought the gun and wanted to run a few rounds through it before the class. Asked if there was any 9 and the store had none. Said he had found some in Weatherford for $30/box and would do what he had to do.

He explained that he had about a month before the state would no longer waive his fees due to his military service. Said he was a bosun's mate for 8 years.

I reached in my bag and handed him 100 rounds of S&B 115g FMJ and thanked him for his service.

Now THAT is FREE market ... :D

Good job! Given the lack of 9mm, that was a genuine sacrifice.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I've got all I need and he didn't ... simple solution.

And I too have been taking steady delivery of ammo at pre-panic prices.

Remington sub-sonic 22LR at $33/500 and 45ACP $14/box

Its out there ... just takes a little effort.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've got all I need and he didn't ... simple solution.

I wish I could bottle this attitude and dump it in the public water supply.
    I'd try to sell it, but those who need it most wouldn't buy it. : )

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    So what's coming next in the arena of shortages? (Hint...12 gauge field loads). Every week, I buy 10 more boxes. Is that "hoarding?" Hell, no! It's reading the market and acting accordingly!

You snooze.....you lose.
    Flash

Solid advice.

I just picked up 3 cases of Remington 12GA Field, 3 cases of Remington 20GA Field, 3 cases of "Estate" 12GA Dove & Target, and 3 cases of "Estate" 20GA Dove & Target.

All from Academy in McKinney.

Don't worry, they still have plenty.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

You're right, ramping up for a year long deployment and getting our shit straight for that should have taken a back seat. What were we thinking :rolleyes:

You hurt my feelings!!! But a nice BBQ holster rig w/ivory inlays will make it all better........:cool:

That'll make it better huh? lol I'll see what I can do. I liked your ideas. Biggest thing to figure out is working with the ivory stock. If we can fab the pieces it'll be a cool project.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ignore Hoji, he can't see through the cloud of smug that surrounds him.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    What is happening with ammo? one reason there "seems" to be a shortage is somehow certain people are interrupting the supply chain and buying up ammo and then trying to resell on Gun Broker it for 2 or 3 times it's value to desperate gun owners. This borders on criminal in my book. These people are taking advantage of their jobs somewhere in the ammo supply chain and even at the retail level. Probably stock people. This appears to be very popular with the .22 cal CCI Mini Mags. Guys are trying to sell it for $15 to $25 per 100. Then if you look at the other ads these guys are posting you'll see there are multiple ads that they are doing the same thing. So somehow they are able to purchase thousands of these rounds and then try their dirty deeds. This isn't capitalism. this is something that is legal but definitely not fair play. That is where a lot of the ammo is going. The manufacturers are making more ammo than they every did. There is no shortage, only people creating the appearance of a shortage for their personal gain. It's almost like an organized crime ring because it is a relatively small amount of people who are in a position to intercept large shipments of ammo to retailers.

Also, you might have already noticed that there are folks lined up at Walmart at 7:00am. All the popular ammo is sold out within 20 minutes to about 15 to 20 people. then these guys do the same thing. They get on Gun Broker and try to resell the ammo for 2 or 3 times it's value. Though Walmart doesn't sell them, I saw a guy advertising a box of 25 Remington Golden Sabre .45s for $75. It really pissed me off and I wrote him and called him on his greed.

The only way to stop these jerks from doing this and creating an artificial ammo shortage is if we, the gun owners, stop buying their ammo at hyper-inflated prices from these jerks. WE HAVE TO STOP IT OURSELVES. Just refuse to do it. Go without if you have to. It won't last long if we all stick together and stop them in their tracks.

WE ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT CAN STOP THIS STUFF AND ALLOW THE MARKET TO RETURN TO NORMAL ON ITS OWN. PLEASE STOP BUYING AMMO FROM THESE PEOPLE.

I was on Gunbroker looking at ammo prices last night. Its crazy how much most of that stuff is selling for.

I agree with much of your post. The way to combat is to not pay inflated prices. At some point the market will calm down and get back to normal. I have not overpaid for ANY ammo since all this started. Not one bullet at an inflated price. And I intend for it to stay this way. And I think most of us on this board have done the same. Its the other morons out there, many of whom I think have flat out panicked, who pay stupid prices for ammo.

I'm on board with you. No inflated ammo purchases for me.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    wake up early and call academy to see what ammo is in stock. been finding ammo that way.

If you want bulk packs you gotta get there EARLY. Like 6am and wait. Most will tell you what days the tuck comes in on and you can schedule around it hopefully.

I asked today what had been coming in cause I wasn't able to make any early runs lately and was told they are getting some thousand round cans of .223 and UMC 9mm value packs.

You just gotta be one of the first in line. It goes to whoever can get there first.

Top Bottom