• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Green Hornet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    North Texas
    Thumbs forward, bent, tucked in behind the cylinder. Shooting hand, high on the grip, muzzle slightly down low.
    I stage the trigger. Shoot in DA mode as well as SA.

The 500, to me is like drinking a bottle of fine beer. You just don’t down it.

I don’t shoot big bores that often, but when I do. I shoot the S & W 500. Stay on target my friends.

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    jktex seems to be the wannabe forum moderator. This isn't the first time either...who gives a flying shat whether its old or not. Keep smoking cheap cigars and abstain from polluting the natural flow of a forum.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Keep it on topic.

That being said, I shot some .44 Magnum +P+ Buffalo Bore loads recently and I still think the smaller .480 Ruger (Alaskan) is more annoying to shoot.

Needless to say, the .44 Magnum flattened the primers out like a Semi running over a squirrel.

Bitmap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    Okay, a question for you big bore guys.

I've only shot a few .44 mags in my day. What is the preferred grip on a big bore like a .44/.50/.454? The gentleman in the video was using a sort of thumbs forward grip, and it seemed the gun got pulled out of his left hand, and near hit his head. When I use a thumbs forward grip on my autos, most of the gun retention is done with the left (weak) hand, and the right hand concentrates on aiming and trigger control. My left hand is not limp or holding lightly, just not as tight as the left and, and I use a bit of push pull. I'm thinking with the way big bore revolvers are constructed, it might be better to wrap your left thumb behind the frame, under the hammer to keep the gun from getting out of the grip. What say you?

I have my right thumb (I'm right handed) wrapped around the left side of the frame. Then I put my left thumb over my right thumb, as if I'm shooting a 1911. I cock the hammer with my left thumb so I don't disturb the grip with my right hand. I shoot from a sort of modified Weaver stance except when I'm zeroing on the bench.

Green Hornet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    North Texas
    I have my right thumb (I'm right handed) wrapped around the left side of the frame. Then I put my left thumb over my right thumb, as if I'm shooting a 1911. I cock the hammer with my left thumb so I don't disturb the grip with my right hand. I shoot from a sort of modified Weaver stance except when I'm zeroing on the bench.

That’s the way I started to shoot, when I first bought mine. A 4 inch model, using mid-range loads. The hammer clipped my left thumb.
    I don’t know how other models recoil. The 4 inch is not that bad though.. I tried using it without the compensator. Much like having the survival model, 2-3/4 inch model uncompensated. I prefer the comp’ed versions.
    The grip I use is a high grip, using my shooting hand.

Example: Differences would be this video: [url]http://www.spike.com/video/what-is-worlds/3025894[/URL] Leaving other aspects of this video aside. Looking at the last woman, Ashton, (stopping the video right before she shoots). She is holding the grip lower than I would grip it. My grip is a little higher than hers. Also I don’t lock my elbows, like she does. I keep them slightly bent, my right elbow bent and turning it out.

I like to try that Dirty Harry grip, that video was showing (movie still). Left hand gripping the right wrist. Shooting one handed with the aid of the left hand.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I still think you're all , I've watched that clip over and over and the only one I ever found was a 1911 that the guy was shooting every so often. the "recoil test" was funny as hell

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I learned the hard way that the grip on a shooting stick is placed too close to the V rest for using with a revolver...made a bloody mess of my non-shooting hand with my S&W 686 after about 3 or 4 shots. :banghead:

Green Hornet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    North Texas
    The author of the video, “Keep your fingers away from the cylinder edge”

Was demonstrating, for this particular reason, see below.

improperhold.jpg

The last I heard. A rumor. The owner of the S&W 460 that was involved was bringing a lawsuit to Smith&Wesson. For excessive cylinder gap. Trama to the owners thumb.
    Whether lawsuit or no lawsuit. When buying a handgun, you should read the instruction manual or take a gun safety course on how to hold a revolver properly.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yep. Fingers away from the front edge of the cylinder. Even at the back edge, you can get a little blowback, but it's not as much. Not nearly enough to hurt you unless a case ruptures.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom