• ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    .44 Magnum does not equal .480 Ruger

Even though the case looks exactly the same size, and the grain weights are the same.

I was a bit surprised at the .480's recoil. Very sharp, nice and peppy. Very unlike .44 Mag.

I did not want a second go at that one. I will, however, shoot .44 Mag with content.
    Hurley's Gold

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I know the feeling.I had a 454 casull that was a wrist breaker.I just got a ruger .357 maximum in a trade so apparently I did not learn my lesson.I am not worried about recoil but I will be wearing some really good hearing protection when firing my new toy.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Alan, I have to laugh!

A friend of mine has a nice scar on his forehead that perfectly matches the rear sight of a Magnum Research .454 Casull. Knocked him out cold!

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    .44 Magnum does not equal .480 Ruger

Even though the case looks exactly the same size, and the grain weights are the same.

I was a bit surprised at the .480's recoil. Very sharp, nice and peppy. Very unlike .44 Mag.

I did not want a second go at that one. I will, however, shoot .44 Mag with content.

Can you say recoil?

Mark F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    .44 Mag isn't that bad.

.454 Casull, .460 / .500 S&W, and now... .480 Ruger are on my one-time list. Although I want a big bore revolver still.

I suppose that would depend on the revolver and the load you decide to use. I have owned and shot all of the "big bore" guns and my preference is still the 44 Mag. The 44 Mag is versitile and affordable to shoot. Since I reload, I usually make up a batch of target grade rounds, and then I'll make up some "Monster Slayers" for people that like to see big muzzle flash and massive recoil. these are typically 305 grain plated wadcutters powered with 25.5 grains of H110. Only a select few revolvers can withstand the pressure these beasts generate. But they'll make a 480 liook like a peashooter.

Bitmap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    I find that a Ruger SRH .454 is worse for me than a S&W M500. The extra weight and muzzle brake on the X-frame helps with the muzzle rise and recoil. I like using PAST or Uncle Mike's padded shooting gloves with either one. With the .454 my palms get tired first. With the .500 my forearms get tired before my palms.

20 to 40 rounds through either and I'm ready to put it down and use something else for a while.

Plugs and muffs together help, too.

ChicagoTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Allen, TX
    Chad,

While not a perfect 5/5 at 300, that's still some really impressive shootin' for a ~5" barrel with open sights - I think i'd be doin' good to get one.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I got the chance to shoot the John Ross edition of the S&W500 yesterday at LSGR. I shot a 350 gr hand load and it was very controlable and nou painful in the least. The JR edition has no compensator.

If you just follow the basic rules of pistol handling you should not get any scars or concussions:p

-EAD-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    Houston
    I got a chance to shoot a .480 at ASC here in Houston... brutal thats all I have to say.

They made us go to the 25y range and I was just happy to hit the plywood much less the target.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    SRH .454 Cassull is my preferred hog hunting pistol. I bought is as a quick fix, because at the time I really wanted the 500 (they were just becoming available). However, after knocking down a few hogs using 300gr Hornady's......I decided that there was no reason to go bigger. It's an animal, and actually took 2 hogs one night as a pass-through with 1 bullet. In the heat of the moment, I don't notice the recoil while hunting. There is just too much excitement.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Okay, a question for you big bore guys.

I've only shot a few .44 mags in my day. What is the preferred grip on a big bore like a .44/.50/.454? The gentleman in the video was using a sort of thumbs forward grip, and it seemed the gun got pulled out of his left hand, and near hit his head. When I use a thumbs forward grip on my autos, most of the gun retention is done with the left (weak) hand, and the right hand concentrates on aiming and trigger control. My left hand is not limp or holding lightly, just not as tight as the left and, and I use a bit of push pull. I'm thinking with the way big bore revolvers are constructed, it might be better to wrap your left thumb behind the frame, under the hammer to keep the gun from getting out of the grip. What say you?

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Okay, a question for you big bore guys.

I've only shot a few .44 mags in my day. What is the preferred grip on a big bore like a .44/.50/.454? The gentleman in the video was using a sort of thumbs forward grip, and it seemed the gun got pulled out of his left hand, and near hit his head. When I use a thumbs forward grip on my autos, most of the gun retention is done with the left (weak) hand, and the right hand concentrates on aiming and trigger control. My left hand is not limp or holding lightly, just not as tight as the left and, and I use a bit of push pull. I'm thinking with the way big bore revolvers are constructed, it might be better to wrap your left thumb behind the frame, under the hammer to keep the gun from getting out of the grip. What say you?
    The thumbs forward grip is a BAD IDEA on revolvers let alone the big ones. The pressure that comes out the sides of the cylinder is violent enough to take piece's of said thumbs. the push pull is most likely the best way, but I'm no expert. You never want any extremities (like fingers, thumbs) along the side of a revolver. Weather it is a 500 or a 22, it is just not a good idea.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I am a 44mag nut. I love them.
    Over the years I have owned 8 different 44mags.
    I currently own a Ruger Redhawk with a 7 1/2 barrel and a Super Blackhawk with a 10.5 in BULL barrel.
    The Blackwak has been loaded up too 1820 fps with a 180gr JHP for white tail deer hunting. (deers drop on the spot)
    As well as 1575 fps with a 300 gr LRN.
    The Blackhawk has been proven to be dam near indestructible.
    The fastest I ever pushed a 240 gr. JHP out of the Redhawk has been just over 1600 fps. Trust me this is not a load you want to shoot.
    Hard on the hand and over time I am sure is hard on the gun.
    It does prove one thing - Rugers are tough guns.
    I would love to have a 454 Casual.
    I've shot a few and loved them and they are fairly comparable in cost in reloading too the 44mag.
    As for the other big bores out there, I would love to own everyone of them but reloading is just too cost prohibitive.
    So for now I will just drool and slobber over them.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    A couple of years ago, I compared my RSRH .44mag in 7.5" barrel to my buddy's Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull in 6.5" ported barrel. I have to admit I could handle the Taurus better than my RSRH. I think the ported barrel had a lot to do with it, not sure though.

Top Bottom