• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Finally got around to changing my fuel filter. Been riding around the truck for ~7k since I got it. Anyway, if you haven't done yours in a while, get it done. Spend the $12 and 20min it takes to change it out.

Old filter
    oldfilter40k.gif

Now, about that oil change...
    th_oldfilter40k.jpg
    Lynx Defense

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I wish it were that easy... the fuel filter in the Jeep Wrangler is in the fuel tank, and sold as part of the pump/ sending unit assy. About $400 and half a day to change.. Not sure who had that stupid idea but they have my vote for dumbass of the year award. MG

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    My wife's fuel filter has needed changing since i bought the car and I can get it off. '99 Grand Am and apparently I need a special tool to get it off. I hate Pontiac..

at least I got the air filter and spark plugs though.....LOL

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Mark, it is sooooooooooooo that easy. You gotta come to the dark side baby. Cummins, all the way....mmmmmmm A 1 1/8" socket and a bottle to catch the drainage from the canister under the hood.

As for the stupid idea, all design engineers should be hauled out to the field and shot. They know how to make things look pretty, but they have no idea how to make them functional to live with them everyday or through a lifetime ownership.

Burk, its like the secret key all brands do. At least one of the regular maintenance items requires a 'special tool'.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Shorts, I know, I know.... I've been trying to get my hands on a 12 valve with a manual pump for a while now... It would be perfect in the Power Wagon! The FF on the PowerStroke isn't too bad either.... just have to get it back from the body shop to be able to put one in! MG

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    93 Chev Diesel fuel filter requires no tools but the ones God gave you to change.

No wrench, no catch bottle, just your fingers and a rag to wipe them off when your done. Five minutes from the time the hood latch is pulled until the hood is shut if you take your time and stop for a cold one half way through.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    After I located the fuel filter on my pathfinder I got it done pretty quick. Now to do the spark plugs is going to be a royal B*TCH of a job and expensive. It's got those coil packs instead of wires and the manifold has to come off of one side to get to them. PITA! Big time. I'll probably wind up paying someone to do it though I don't want to hurt nothing.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    #1 cause of electric fuel pump failure is a restrictive filter so as Shorts said "Change your filter"
    Average cost on a GM fuel pump is $550.00 + so that $100.00 fuel system service is cheap in comparison.

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    I like the cheap Cummins filters. Stinkin Chevy fuel filter is 50 bucks for the Duramax. Needless to say mine stays on way to long. Shorts, you need to look into getting a bottle of stanadyne. I use the lubricity formula in anything diesel and never replaced a pump or injector.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    You guys complaining about your duramax engines are making me feel better about keeping the 6.5TD. The fuel filter for it it a whopping $12.95.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I like the cheap Cummins filters. Stinkin Chevy fuel filter is 50 bucks for the Duramax. Needless to say mine stays on way to long. Shorts, you need to look into getting a bottle of stanadyne. I use the lubricity formula in anything diesel and never replaced a pump or injector.

sean, how are you liking Stanadyne? I've seen additive threads and there's a lot of options, mixtures, opinions etc. It can get confusing. I have been using the 2cycle TCW3 from Walmart though. I buy the big jug and keep the little bottle in the truck. I go 14-16oz per tank.

I've wondered if I needed to run a cleaner through. Do you?

What I liked about the DMax is the Allison tranny sitting behind it. I had the chance to drive one for a little bit while I was at a Chevrolet dealership. It shifted weird. Sat lower. I kept comparing it to the Cummins and I knew that truck wasn't for me.

You guys complaining about your duramax engines are making me feel better about keeping the 6.5TD. The fuel filter for it it a whopping $12.95.

The 6.5TD is a beast. I wanted to find an old body style 2dr Blazer or Tahoe with that engine in it. I still might. Tim's been really hating on his Heep lately and I don't blame him. I think he's wanting his 2dr Tahoe back. That was a great truck

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    I've done the fuel upgrades to it. Now I have to find out where all the boost is going. The boost gauge peaks a 7. When it gets the air to go with the fuel it will really be a beast.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    The 2008 F-250 6.4L Diesel is $79.95 for both fuel filters

On on the frame rail under the drivers floor board ( dumb place for it and the water drain)
    The second is on top of the engine.

And Ford won't warranty unless you can prove filter change as per manual.

Ron Carter Ford charges $144.95

Worth the extra $70 so I don't have to jack the truck up to get my Shiner Bock belly under the truck.

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    Everything about the 6.4 is expensive!!! Shorts, I call stanadyne, Holy water! I used it in my 2000 Cummins, Sold it with 345k. No engine probs at all, but the trany was a huge headache. I run it in my 2002 Cummins 1 ton with 129k and no engine probs. My 1 ton has 25,000 pounds behind it all day every day. My 05 dmax just clicked 100k. The only prob I had out of it was the EGR that I fixed with a 15.00 plate. I also run it in 3 tractors and I think its great. 1 bottle does 125 gallons and a bottle is 6 to 7 bucks. The government really screwed us with the ULSD. The older trucks need the sulfur to lube the fuel systems. I love my dodge but I'll never buy another with an automatic. The Allison is the only reason I bought a Chevy.

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    "I've wondered if I needed to run a cleaner through. Do you?"

I don't add any cleaners because diesel has a "soap" in it. As long as you get the proper lube you'll be fine. Only the 2008's and newer were designed to run on the diesel we get at the pump. The ultra low sulfur diesel(ULSD) isn't good for the older trucks without some kind of additive. Regardless of what the sticker on the pump says.

Your government is lying to you again!!! Go figure.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    +1 on replacing filters when you can.
    They are a low cost option and good insurance. I do my own oil on my Hemi and air filter etc. I have done the spark plugs but it takes a few hours and also a few ounces of skin,(I neglected to wear gloves).
    I wish more manufacturers would make everything more accessible to the vehicle owners.

I just rotated my tires but I had been neglecting them and I did not rotate them earlier so I have some crappy wear and I will probably need a new set to get rid of my shudder.:banghead:

Top Bottom