Don't neglect your fuel filter

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by Shorts, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Finally got around to changing my fuel filter. Been riding around the truck for ~7k since I got it. Anyway, if you haven't done yours in a while, get it done. Spend the $12 and 20min it takes to change it out.

Old filter
    [​IMG]

Now, about that oil change...:lolz:
    [​IMG]

2. usmcpmi

usmcpmi Active Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I wish it were that easy... the fuel filter in the Jeep Wrangler is in the fuel tank, and sold as part of the pump/ sending unit assy. About $400 and half a day to change.. Not sure who had that stupid idea but they have my vote for dumbass of the year award. MG

3. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    My wife's fuel filter has needed changing since i bought the car and I can get it off. '99 Grand Am and apparently I need a special tool to get it off. I hate Pontiac..

at least I got the air filter and spark plugs though.....LOL

4. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Mark, it is sooooooooooooo that easy. You gotta come to the dark side baby. Cummins, all the way....mmmmmmm :happy0001: A 1 1/8" socket and a bottle to catch the drainage from the canister under the hood.

As for the stupid idea, all design engineers should be hauled out to the field and shot. They know how to make things look pretty, but they have no idea how to make them functional to live with them everyday or through a lifetime ownership.

Burk, its like the secret key all brands do. At least one of the regular maintenance items requires a 'special tool'.

5. usmcpmi

usmcpmi Active Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Shorts, I know, I know.... I've been trying to get my hands on a 12 valve with a manual pump for a while now... It would be perfect in the Power Wagon! The FF on the PowerStroke isn't too bad either.... just have to get it back from the body shop to be able to put one in! MG

6. jdh

jdh Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    93 Chev Diesel fuel filter requires no tools but the ones God gave you to change.

No wrench, no catch bottle, just your fingers and a rag to wipe them off when your done. Five minutes from the time the hood latch is pulled until the hood is shut if you take your time and stop for a cold one half way through.

7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The aerodynamic plates on the bottom of my car gotta come off to get to my fuel filter....

8. claymore504

claymore504 Well-Known

Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Anyone in in the Katy/Cypress area need a fuel filter done give me a shout. give me a shout for any tune up/maint type issue! :happy0001:

9. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    After I located the fuel filter on my pathfinder I got it done pretty quick. Now to do the spark plugs is going to be a royal B*TCH of a job and expensive. It's got those coil packs instead of wires and the manifold has to come off of one side to get to them. PITA! Big time. I'll probably wind up paying someone to do it though I don't want to hurt nothing.

10. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    #1 cause of electric fuel pump failure is a restrictive filter so as Shorts said "Change your filter"
    Average cost on a GM fuel pump is $550.00 + so that $100.00 fuel system service is cheap in comparison.:2cents: