• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    In my 7.3L IDI I run about 1.5 quarts of filtered (1 micron) waste tranny oil through its fuel system every 10,000 miles. Been doing that since the USDL crap came out. It does help the lube issue and helps keep the injectors clean.
    Target Sports

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    "I've wondered if I needed to run a cleaner through. Do you?"

I don't add any cleaners because diesel has a "soap" in it. As long as you get the proper lube you'll be fine. Only the 2008's and newer were designed to run on the diesel we get at the pump. The ultra low sulfur diesel(ULSD) isn't good for the older trucks without some kind of additive. Regardless of what the sticker on the pump says.

Your government is lying to you again!!! Go figure.

That's what I heard about cleaners but I wanted to confirm - thanks!

Yeah, the older trucks really got screwed with the ULSD (which I'm betting was the goal!). Dad's '99 is really hating life right now and Dad's really hating the truck. He's been contemplating getting rid of it because he just can't sort out the pump/fuel issues.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    ... He's been contemplating getting rid of it because he just can't sort out the pump/fuel issues.

Have him run a quart of tranny fluid through it with each tank of fuel for the next 4 tanks, just make sure he has a couple of spare filters with him. Or if he can get some B5-B20 (5 gallons b100 mixed with rest full tank) will clean and lube the system real well.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Have him run a quart of tranny fluid through it with each tank of fuel for the next 4 tanks, just make sure he has a couple of spare filters with him. Or if he can get some B5-B20 (5 gallons b100 mixed with rest full tank) will clean and lube the system real well.

Thanks for the tip. I'll let him know and see how he goes.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I've been running 1/2 qt of ATF in every other tank of fuel for the last 5 years. 7.3 T still gets 21 mpg on the highway. and will still push you back in the seat when you put it on the floor. ODO now sitting right at 250,000 mi. no major repairs so far. In fact, just picked it back up from the body shop today. Felt good to drive MY truck for once.... last trip was 11-17-09. Full fluid swap scheduled for this weekend. MG

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    My wife's fuel filter has needed changing since i bought the car and I can get it off. '99 Grand Am and apparently I need a special tool to get it off. I hate Pontiac..

at least I got the air filter and spark plugs though.....LOL

That special tool should cost you about five bucks at the local parts store. You're talking about a tool that pushes the little springs inside the collar out so that you can get the line off, right? Every parts store has them. Just make sure that you push the line farther onto the filter before using the tool or you'll never get the little fingers to let go...

#1 cause of electric fuel pump failure is a restrictive filter so as Shorts said "Change your filter"
    Average cost on a GM fuel pump is $550.00 + so that $100.00 fuel system service is cheap in comparison.

Yep. And if your fuel pump ever dies, change the filter when you change the pump for that reason and because a lot of the time the fuel pump winds up inside the filter. I'm a fan of yearly fuel filter changes.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Generally speaking, fuel filters in the tank are considered to be a "lifetime" part. Otherwise, they'd be out of the tank where it's easier and safer to change.

Top Bottom