• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I am building a small scale range for family and friends and was considering calling it a ''gun club''. Nothing serious and no dues to pay, plan on setting it up fairly nice with a variety of target types and distances. Just want to be sure that calling it a gun club or shooting club will not put it under any eextra regulation (fees, taxes, environmental laws, etc.). Has anyone dealt with something like this or have any information. I'm sure it could put me under some sort of liability for injuries, ia there a way to be protected from this.

Thanks
    Venture Surplus ad

redneckinmontrose

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Assuming you are on your own private unincorporated land...
    First thought is depending on how small the group is, don't call it anything other than invited guests on your private property
    My suggestion would be to start with a phone call to my insurance agent. A scheduled visit with the local sheriff would be next. Make sure they know what you are doing before the neighbors call in reports of WW III and they roll up on you during a target session.
    A trip to Bayou Rifles or the private range in Tomball would be a good idea to see what they are doing:
    Even though it is a private club, there are rules posted.
    Fenced and gated with a combination lock so that the members can lock themselves in and out - You don't want any local kids going in and screwing around.
    I think there were similar discussions on thehighroad.org a few years ago.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Never done that but I would think friendly agreement/usage is better than a formal group.
    Unfortunately in this society, waiver would be best.

redneckinmontrose ... Houston's montrose? You got some splainin' to do.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thanks, btw, do the "NO LIABILITY" signs hold up or should everyone i let shoot at my place sign a waiver, seems crazy considering how things "should" be but these days you never know what could happen if a buddy bring a buddy with a lack of judgment, its on 20 accres with a locked gate and legal posted no trespassing signs, think i will just keep it simple and invite who i want. And get a good "Not resposible for injury or death" sign, god forbid it is ever needed.

redneckinmontrose

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Yep, that montrose, bout 6 blocks from the mayor. THE parade demobilizes in front of my house.

Covenant House
    Shelters
    Some ward for psycihatric youth
    I don't lack for people watching.
    Only had 4 property thefts in 7 years
    Once found a color television set stuffed in the bushes on the side of the house, guess the perp got tired of carrying it. Took it to the police station - no remote.

Now we are getting to the point where someone should make the statement:

If you need real legal advice, you might want to hire a lawyer....

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep, that montrose, bout 6 blocks from the mayor. THE parade demobilizes in front of my house.

Covenant House
    Shelters
    Once found a color television set stuffed in the bushes on the side of the house, guess the perp got tired of carrying it. Took it to the police station - no remote.

Thanks, most of that has no meaning to me and was not helpfull in anyway. thats like saying ''dont ask us about your gun build, hire a gunsmith''. The advantages of open forums are that you can draw on the experiences of others before spending money when its not needed. such as this case when you chime in after i have formed my conclusion. But at least yoou got to post something, right. GOLD STAR FOR YOU!

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    How often do you come to a complete stop at a stop sign? Signs are.......nice. But what do they really accomplish? Have a lawyer draw up a liability waiver. Always protect yourself. Also, make sure you have the equipment to provide basic medical care if someone should get hurt. And a few fire extinguishers as well.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks, most of that has no meaning to me and was not helpfull in anyway. thats like saying ''dont ask us about your gun build, hire a gunsmith''. The advantages of open forums are that you can draw on the experiences of others before spending money when its not needed. such as this case when you chime in after i have formed my conclusion. But at least yoou got to post something, right. GOLD STAR FOR YOU!

A little high strung today are we?
    redneckinmontrose was answering my #5 post. The Montrose area is predominately the GLBT crowd and a redneck would stick out like a sore thumb (hope that's all that is sore on you).

His advise to seek a lawyer remains sage.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    If you've already formed your conclusion, maybe you should lock the thread so no one chimes in. Certainly you would want to prevent any new or better ideas from rearing their ugly head. They'd be late to the party and that's just rude.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    new better idea's are good, but someone posting nonsense follwed by a remark that berates you for asking what someone elses opinion is before wasting money is not helpfull in anyway.

redneckinmontrose

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Texas Bar Association help line

The news this morning reports that the Texas Bar Association will be sponsering a free help line tonight (Wed) from 5-9pm. 713 759-1133.

Good luck with your range.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    They've done that 1st n 3rd Wed for years but its much more of lawyer referral srvc than legal help

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    new better idea's are good, but someone posting nonsense follwed by a remark that berates you for asking what someone elses opinion is before wasting money is not helpfull in anyway.

Actually, IMO that advice was right-freakin-spot-on.....and offered in a way that couldn't have been phrased much nicer. Maybe you already thought about running everything by an attorney at some point, but you didn't mention so - and there's been more than one person get themselves in trouble because they asked everyone BUT an attorney for legal advice.

This ain't a game of tiddlywinks yer lookin' at - you're potentially putting yourself into position to lose EVERYTHING you own - and if the land belongs to someone else (family member, etc) you're putting THEM in the liability chain as well. What *I* think he was trying to do was to alert you that you're in an area of true land mines, and was simply trying to be sure you remembered to check w/an attorney. One thing for sure - he (and likely many others) will think SEVERAL times before offering you any kind of advice/suggestions in the future, since you've shown that you really don't want to hear anything other than what you want to hear.

Just my thoughts - feel free to denigrate....

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Covenant House
    Shelters

A little high strung today are we?
    redneckinmontrose was answering my #5 post. The Montrose area is predominately the GLBT crowd and a redneck would stick out like a sore thumb (hope that's all that is sore on you).

His advise to seek a lawyer remains sage.

I apologize for the attitude, I didn't realize he was answering another post, my fault for not paying attention, Thanks for EVERYONES input, BTW, how do you close a thread, i haven't been able to figure that one out. Won't be an ass about any of your answers, i promise.

Top Bottom