• Thor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N Central Texas
    Political opposition is not a hate crime
    Examiner Editorial
    July 10, 2009

What's wrong with this picture? The federal government spends billions on homeland security, but apparently can't stop foreigners from illegally crossing the border or overstaying their visas. The Obama administration wants to bring violent terrorists captured overseas to the mainland and close the military detention center at Guantanamo Bay. Yet in the latest bizarre twist, legislation quietly making its way through Congress would give the White House power to categorize political opponents as hate groups and even send Americans to detention centers on abandoned military bases.

Rep. Alcee Hastings - the impeached Florida judge Nancy Pelosi tried to install as chairman of the House Intelligence Committee until her own party members rebelled - introduced an amendment to the defense authorization bill that gives Attorney General Eric Holder sole discretion to label groups that oppose government policy on guns, abortion, immigration, states' rights, or a host of other issues. In a June 25 speech on the House floor, Rep. Trent Franks, R-AZ, blasted the idea: "This sounds an alarm for many of us because of the recent shocking and offensive report released by the Department of Homeland Security which labeled, arguably, a majority of Americans as 'extremists.'"

Another Hastings bill (HR 645) authorizes $360 million in 2009 and 2010 to set up "not fewer than six national emergency centers on military installations" capable of housing "a large number of individuals affected by an emergency or major disaster." But Section 2 (b) 4 allows the Secretary of Homeland Security to use the camps "to meet other appropriate needs" - none of which are specified. This is the kind of blank check that Congress should never, ever sign.

It's not paranoid to be extremely wary of legislation that would give two unelected government officials power to legally declare someone a "domestic terrorist" and send them to a government-run camp. After all, the federal government has done exactly this sort of thing before. During World War II, more than 120,000 law-abiding Japanese Americans were rounded up by the government and confined for four years in ten internment camps surrounded by barbed wire and armed guards. Joy Kogawa chronicled the trauma her family experienced firsthand under FDR's executive order: "Families were made to move in two hours. Abandoned everything, leaving pets and possessions at gun point..."

It was wrong then, and it would be doubly wrong now should members of Congress somehow fail to learn from past mistakes.​
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...ion-is-not-a-hate-crime-7949121-50392297.html

I don't know, but it sure appears as if our Government is attempting to subvert the First Amendment. It's time to wake up and pay attention,
    folks !!!

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    introduced an amendment to the defense authorization bill that gives Attorney General Eric Holder sole discretion to label groups that oppose government policy on guns, abortion, immigration, states' rights, or a host of other issues.

2010 can't come fast enough.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    This is some scary stuff... I just want to know when a government for the people by the people became this monstrosity we have now.. The problem is that things have gotten so out of control, with biased and censored media coverage, political appointees and career polititions that dont think they are accountable covering each others backside that I dont see how things can be changed short of.........

Thor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N Central Texas
    introduced an amendment to the defense authorization bill that gives Attorney General Eric Holder sole discretion to label groups that oppose government policy on guns, abortion, immigration, states' rights, or a host of other issues.

2010 can't come fast enough.

Are we willing to wait until then?? There's a LOT of damage that can be done in the interim.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Shhhhhhhhh - quite - someone is listening!
    This forum under these guide lines is a hate group.
    That's where this is headed.
    I just wonder if the populace left really knows what the politicians they have put in office are up too, or are they so deaf dumb and blind not to see????:banghead:
    As stated in another thread, this is starting to sound like pre-war Nazi Germany!

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Are we willing to wait until then?? There's a LOT of damage that can be done in the interim.

As I am a voter, I have done what I can til the next election cycle. :patriot:

Til then, I'll continue to communicate with my those in government, post on forums like these, pay my taxes, and teach my kids what it takes to survive.

If you have some ideas that do not include breaking the law or violence, I'm all ears.

boycan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas

Attachments

• scarboma.jpg
      scarboma.jpg
      6 KB · Views: 165
    • boma.jpg
      boma.jpg
      27.6 KB · Views: 187

Thor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N Central Texas
    As I am a voter, I have done what I can til the next election cycle. :patriot:

Til then, I'll continue to communicate with my those in government, post on forums like these, pay my taxes, and teach my kids what it takes to survive.

If you have some ideas that do not include breaking the law or violence, I'm all ears.

Really?? We are STILL allowed to protest, at least according to the 1st Amendment. Last I knew, that was legal. Perhaps it's time to get together a bunch of people to march on DC when the POTUS is actually around?? Writing our Senators and Congress critters is a good start. I'm really staring to get pissed off at our "leadership". They're partying on our dime and spending like there's no tomorrow as well as attempting to infringe on our rights.

MadMo said:
    I just wonder if the populace left really knows what the politicians they have put in office are up too, or are they so deaf dumb and blind not to see????:banghead:

I'm truly appalled at some of the 0bama supporters. They REFUSE to acknowledge what's happening. A school buddy of mine that I went to Jr High and High School with was an 0bama delegate. He STILL thinks 0bama is "wondrous". :confused: I will attempt to enlighten him, but I don't think I'll be too successful. Here is what he said about his "Idol":
    President Obama has prevented the 2nd Great Depression.
    This is the single greatest economic miracle of all time & that is no exaggeration!
    [Leading economic indicators like new housing starts, factory orders and new mortgage activity prove it.]
    And now, consumer spending [70% of the economy] is also up.
    Oh, and those banks paid back the TARP money early WITH INTEREST!

[I know, employment, right? That is the LAST thing to recover, ask any economist. Be patient]

He is winning back America's foreign friends that Bush alienated
    He is getting us out of Iraq, the wrong war
    He is putting assets back into Afghanistan, the RIGHT war.
    He is shutting down Guantanamo.
    He is ending torture, making sure the world knows it.
    He is DOING HIS JOB

He even told GM & Chrysler to shape up or ship out.

All this in less than his first 6 months!

Soon, we will all have health care too!

ALL of our presidents should be so awful

He said that this article was "fear mongering". Heck, I'm just pointing out a potential problem, as I did with GWB's Patriot Act. We seem to be in a spiraling whirlpool of a drain.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    We have a tradition of opposing the Government. Our Founders against King George, our Stephen F. Austin settlers against Mexico and the butcher, SantaAnna. our countrymen against the despots killing States Rights of Southern States. We lost that one but perhaps the next rebellion will be in the ballot box and we shall win. Give us liberty as the Founding Fathers intended, Freedom by the Will of GOD or we deserve the crap happening now.

Top Bottom