• txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    TXI,

Yes, quite screwy.

So with an LTC, I can legally carry an illegal knife, right?

If so, this is quite a conundrum. How can something be legal and illegal simultaneously?

With my LTC, am I legally allowed to carry a double edged blade over 5.5" or is there a limit even with the legal/illegal conundrum?

One of our members here was arrested for carrying an illegal knife while carrying his handgun and license to carry. He was arrested by DPS Troopers and had to post bail. Cost him thousands in attorney's fees. The DA finally dismisses the case in the "interest of justice".

While I believe it perfectly legal, I strongly caution against carrying an illegal knife with your LTC and handgun.

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    I know this is an older thread, but in 2017 Abbott signed a bill into law that changed up knife laws since this thread was last written in... I have one of those double sided OTF dagger style blades. Are they still illegal? it seems from what I've been reading, you can carry whatever the heck you want (including swords) but carrying knives is now "location restricted" like with a LTC. govt buildings hospitals schools etc. anyone know for sure? I'd like to be sure before I go waltzin down the street with my OTF in by pocket.

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    Why does one need to carry a knife, illegal or not, if you carry a gun? :green: If it's that critical, you live or frequent the wrong places. IMHO!
    If an attacker grabs your strong arm, it'd be ideal to have a blade handy on your weak side so you can stab the assailant and get distance between you two and then draw your firearm.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I know this is an older thread, but in 2017 Abbott signed a bill into law that changed up knife laws since this thread was last written in... I have one of those double sided OTF dagger style blades. Are they still illegal? it seems from what I've been reading, you can carry whatever the heck you want (including swords) but carrying knives is now "location restricted" like with a LTC. govt buildings hospitals schools etc. anyone know for sure? I'd like to be sure before I go waltzin down the street with my OTF in by pocket.

Yes it's legal. I carry an OTF dagger myself. Awesome knife but difficult to clean your fingernails with it. The double side makes its awkward. Don't pull it out in church or the courthouse. Sheriff's dept lobby is also a bad idea.

Opening a can of snuff in 7/11 is ok. Cutting a chicken fried steak with it while dining at cracker barrel will get you looks. Don't wave the knife around like a wild man and you be ok.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Legal to purchase.
    "Legal to carry" or not is up to the po-po when they see it.
    If Officer Dontlikeyou doesn't like you that day you get to wear shiny bracelets.
    If he thinks it's cool, you don't get to wear the shiny bracelets.
    You may win in court later but it will cost mucho dinero to get there.
    Me thinks why bother? Just carry a regular old folding single edge knife.
    Double edge knives suck as tools anyway.
    Don't go running around all drunk ninja like and the po-po will leave you alone.
    I see people all the time wearing sheath knives.
    So there I am, out in the 'tween land of Texas (tween any kind of town), its about 0300 and trying to get home before dawn. I am honking hard in that Corvette, that big 427 with solid lifters, radical cam and some 12:1 slugs burning Shell 100 proof.

The FM is clean and dry and the stars are out. I have driven this before and its a straight shot ahead to Grapevine Tx. I am running about 110 coming out of near W Tx I top a long rise and at the bottom is THE MAN. On come the Reds and I pull over, know he's got radio.

The wait is LONG till he rolls in behind me. He gets out asks to my my DL which I have out already and I am clean. Then he asks how fast I was going? I said not sure but around 110, he smiles and says, no, try 117 and let me see that engine. Next thing I know he asks if he can drive it.

Officer Likeyou said no ticket. We part friends but he tells to watch out, he is taking a Deputy job over in Tarrant County.

Years later and its the same story, same road, same place (different girl I am dating out there) and a different Corvette. BUT its me and one of my buddies and he has a Corvette. We top the rise and there is the law. I am lead and I decide to stay on the go pedal knowing my buddy cannot keep up with me, but fast he is. In the rear view I finally see my buddy pull over and I know just ahead there is a side road that turns to dirt and will take you over to another FM that leads to Azle Tx just outside Ft Worth, out of my way but I don't care.

I get home to a flashing answering machine and with his ONE call my buddy says I am in jail, come get me.

I call another buddy who lives in the same complex and we both go up to Decatur Tx. The damage: Charged with excessive speed (NO MPH listed), reckless driving, resisting arrest and Radar Machine Repair, $825. Seems we blew thru at over 120 mph and Lawman said it burnt up his machine. All total it was a couple of thousand and no jail time.

Officer Dontlikeyou wrote the ticket.

Luck of the draw I guess...

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Yep
    SByn5VV.jpg

Top Bottom