• ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Air and Space parts of the Smithsonian
    Good news is you don't have to go into DC... The one in VA is pretty awesome. It's the one with the SR-71. The NRA museum is close by, too.

Once you see the SR-71 up close, goto the dinky little Air Force museum in Del Rio and check out the camera and flight suit.
    Venture Surplus ad

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Good news is you don't have to go into DC... The one in VA is pretty awesome. It's the one with the SR-71. The NRA museum is close by, too.

Once you see the SR-71 up close, goto the dinky little Air Force museum in Del Rio and check out the camera and flight suit.
    If you ever bump your head and visit Oregon, check out the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville. The Spruce Goose is pretty awesome too.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    If you ever bump your head and visit Oregon, check out the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville. The Spruce Goose is pretty awesome too.

Honestly I'm shocked any Texan knows about that place. I was born in McMinnville and raised 45 minutes away. Evergreen's pretty dang cool. It was quite the ordeal when they obtained the Spruce Goose, and when it was being transported in and reconstructed.

They also have an SR-71 on display.

They built a small theme park across the highway (5 lane undivided hwy, at least it was when I left it a little over a year ago) from the museum. Mostly water slides, I think. Never patronized the park.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Honestly I'm shocked any Texan knows about that place. I was born in McMinnville and raised 45 minutes away. Evergreen's pretty dang cool. It was quite the ordeal when they obtained the Spruce Goose, and when it was being transported in and reconstructed.

They also have an SR-71 on display.

They built a small theme park across the highway (5 lane undivided hwy, at least it was when I left it a little over a year ago) from the museum. Mostly water slides, I think. Never patronized the park.
    Yeah, I lived in Beaverton for about a year and a half after leaving Washington. Rode many times to the coast through McMinnville before finally stopping in the museum to check it out.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Spruce Goose
    I saw it when it was in CA as a little kid. I remember being impressed by the building it was in, too. I had actually forgotten about that. Thanks for sparking that memory.

I don't think I can go back to Oregon, anyways. I'm still wanted there for the heinous crime of pumping my own gas.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Yeah, I lived in Beaverton for about a year and a half after leaving Washington. Rode many times to the coast through McMinnville before finally stopping in the museum to check it out.

Small world. I was raised just south of Hillsboro and SW of Beaverton. Bounced around Washington County - managed to never live outside it aside from a couple random months in Missouri, and then moving here.

Hwy 18 was a beautiful drive. A bit dangerous at times, but beautiful. A lot more pleasant than Hwy 26 or 6 to Seaside or Tillamook.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Small world. I was raised just south of Hillsboro and SW of Beaverton. Bounced around Washington County - managed to never live outside it aside from a couple random months in Missouri, and then moving here.

Hwy 18 was a beautiful drive. A bit dangerous at times, but beautiful. A lot more pleasant than Hwy 26 or 6 to Seaside or Tillamook.
    I loved riding the Oregon coast, some of the most beautiful coastline in the country.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I saw it when it was in CA as a little kid. I remember being impressed by the building it was in, too. I had actually forgotten about that. Thanks for sparking that memory.

I don't think I can go back to Oregon, anyways. I'm still wanted there for the heinous crime of pumping my own gas.

You should've seen the shit shows last year during the early COVIDiocy - the guv'ness handed down emergency edict allowing one to pump their own, and most gas stations only staffed attendants to pump for those who wouldn't/couldn't DIY. The only people who could work the damn pumps were commercial drivers or out-of-staters, or those who travelled outside the state long enough to get used to it.

Of course that strangle is breaking. Its been law for a few years that if you're in a rural county you could pump your own, but they set the bar stupidly on that one - IIRC its counties of less than 25,000 people.

I think Oregon and New Jersey are the last hold outs where general pump-your-own is still no bueno.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah... that is an epic museum for sure.

Now, if you wanna go places a little less libtarded... the Museum at Pima is pretty mind blowing too.. over 300 aircraft including a couple one-of-2 examples... Saw stuff there I'd never even heard of. They are also the custodians of the last famous B-36 that was found in Fort Worth and restored. It's parked next to a pair of B-52s and it makes them look a little measly... I wrote a blog about it: https://blog.daviddemartini.com/pima-air-space-visit-june-2017/

The Air Museum at NAS Pensacola is pretty dang good as well.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The eyes of Texas are upon you, that is the song they sing so well. SOUNDS LIKE HELL!

We've been trying to tell them its a dumb song for years.

My submission for a suitable replacement...

Seems that some of the turds coming out of the university system are likely to have run ins with the law anyway

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    So they moved here just to change our laws?
    I moved here from NY. Once I was here for a few months I had the hopes of helping to change TX laws to be: more gun friendly, constitutional carry, less tolerant of violent felons, tougher as to bail regulations; and to have less intrusive government and lower state taxes by way of ending any ridiculous government programs and by way of a cut to welfare and other public assistance. I'd also like to see the state open up more land to be used as public hunting lands for free (license fees alone should pay for use of public lands for hunting and fishing without that state land use fee on a license - after all the state lands are public property) and I would love to see fewer regulations as to what type of firearms can be used from season to season - as far as shotgun, rifle, handgun go. If that offends any of you liberal Texans, so be it.:rolleyes:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I moved here from NY. Once I was here for a few months I had the hopes of helping to change TX laws to be: more gun friendly, constitutional carry, less tolerant of violent felons, tougher as to bail regulations; and to have less intrusive government and lower state taxes by way of ending any ridiculous government programs and by way of a cut to welfare and other public assistance. I'd also like to see the state open up more land to be used as public hunting lands for free (license fees alone should pay for use of public lands for hunting and fishing without that state land use fee on a license - after all the state lands are public property) and I would love to see fewer regulations as to what type of firearms can be used from season to season - as far as shotgun, rifle, handgun go. If that offends any of you liberal Texans, so be it.:rolleyes:
    Many of the best Texans weren't from Texas.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    For the most part I agree with your post.

But the land thing, not so much. In Texas, the vast majority of the land is privately owned, and very little actually belongs to the state, or federal government. Opening up that state and federal land to hunters, could be a very bad idea. Some already is set aside for public hunting use. But if the tract of land isn't big enough, it could lead to some very dangerous hunting accidents happening.

Then factor is many of us private land owners, many of us just don't want strangers, or people on our land. That is why Texas will strictly enforce trespassing laws when it happens. Many of us seen way too many idiots and what they do, so we sure as hell don't want them on our property.

In the end, even with different hunting and fishing fees being charged, it still wouldn't be feasible in Texas.

I do hear they have lots of public land for hunting out in California though.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Fondly remember the days in Southern California before the dim0craps took over. There was plenty of public land that was OK for shooting. I used to ride my bicycle with my Dads 30.06 on my shoulder, up into Angeles National Forrest. Most any wide spot in the road would find people shooting at trash in the canyons. Could buy Army surplus .45acp in a 50 round baggy for $2. I had a Webly Mk ? that would shoot 45acp with moon clips. Once traded a LAPD uniform he shot my Webly and I got to shoot his duty .38. Even the Cops were good guys back then.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Fondly remember the days in Southern California before the dim0craps took over. There was plenty of public land that was OK for shooting. I used to ride my bicycle with my Dads 30.06 on my shoulder, up into Angeles National Forrest. Most any wide spot in the road would find people shooting at trash in the canyons. Could buy Army surplus .45acp in a 50 round baggy for $2. I had a Webly Mk ? that would shoot 45acp with moon clips. Once traded a LAPD uniform he shot my Webly and I got to shoot his duty .38. Even the Cops were good guys back then.
    I think us older guys can only dream of the days people weren't so sensitive. I didn't know many that had big collections of guns, but it seemed most families had at least one in the house, and nobody I knew thought twice about it. My dad let me shoot his pistol and rifle when I was 8. Nowadays they call that child abuse. I thought it was the coolest thing ever!

BTW: I was also living in Los Angeles at that time.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

Not to mention skate parks…dirt bike tracks…riding dirt bikes all over the un-incorporated areas…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I think us older guys can only dream of the days people weren't so sensitive. I didn't know many that had big collections of guns, but it seemed most families had at least one in the house, and nobody I knew thought twice about it. My dad let me shoot his pistol and rifle when I was 8. Nowadays they call that child abuse. I thought it was the coolest thing ever!

BTW: I was also living in Los Angeles at that time.

Hell, I killed my first deer when I was 8.

Top Bottom