• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    $40 per gun for a half day (late afternoon until sunset) on private land less than 10 minutes from 121 & the North Dallas Tollway. You'll need to be squared away and legal with a hunting license and any additional safety education endorsements as required by TPWD.

There's acres of seeded sunflower heads and TONS of birds, primarily mourning, an occasional white wing, and quite a few Eurasian ringed (no limit on ringed). You can easily limit if you're a good shot! This season is one of best in years.
    Target Sports

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I have access to two plots, both privately owned, that I've hunted for 30+ years. 230 acres on one plot, 15 acres on the other. There are two additional plots (200+ acres) of hybrid sunflower planted and plowed adjacent to where we hunt but they cannot be hunted - I do have permission to place decoys and retrieve downed birds. The sunflower fields and nearby water pull large numbers of feeding birds and a treeline bordering the area contains flocks of sated, resting birds. Birds move South to North to feed/water/roost at daybreak until 9am and again from 1pm to 4pm with very few birds on the wing until early early evening, at which time direction of travel of the birds changes 180 degrees. From (roughly) 5:30pm until 7pm, large numbers of birds begin moving North to South to roost. Obviously, changes in air pressure, wind, and cloud cover can (and does) affect timing and numbers of birds.

We've harvested Mourning with some Eurasian Ringed and the occasional Whitewing. Birds typically fly over a 1/4 mile long corridor .....right over where we hunt. We use Mojo's and have pulled many birds to the ground, but large numbers of birds consistently move over our position whether we decoy or not. I've hunted every day since opening and aside from several off days (and changes in behavior due to pressure from hunting), the birds have been consistent. They are creatures of habit. And smart.

We got a little over an inch of rain last night and the ground is a mess. Fortunately, one of the best spots can still be accessed and downed birds retrieved without walking through mud. We're hunting Sat/Sun early AM and evening and have room for 3 more people. PM if you want a spot.

UPDATE - Sat AM is full, Sat PM and Sun AM/PM is still open.

Last edited:

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Dove-R.jpg

2 hours, 2 hunters, and TONS of birds. One fella bagged his limit of mourning and some collards, the other guy wasn't dialed in and missed a heck of a lot of shots but still managed to bag a few (mostly collards-they're too big to miss:). Regardless, the grin on their faces was priceless.

I was suprised to see such large number of collard doves (which have no limit). The storm front pushed new birds into the area, we had quite a few large flocks fly right over our heads.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I have openings this week for AM and PM dove hunts. You'll have ample opportunity to limit within a couple hours.

Top Bottom