• dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Anyone on here dove hunt. hurricane's Edouard & Ike ruined both hunting trips that my friends and & I had planned last year. :( I hope we have better luck with the weather this year. Man, when the birds are flying dove hunting can be great fun. If they aren't hunting.....no big deal someone is always craking jokes over the two-way radio. Lots of fun!
    ARJ Defense ad

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Can't remember the last time I missed opening day. Always a blast (pun intended)!!! The problem we have been having lately is urban sprawl wiping out a lot of good feed sources. The doves are staying in the damn neighborhoods...I could kill at least 6-8 with a BB gun every evening in my yard. :banghead:

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I could kill at least 6-8 with a BB gun every evening in my yard. :banghead:

+1....Same here and there are even some Whitewings in the group. I remember when Whitewings were pretty much a south Texas bird.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Never been, would love to go.

Not sure but I may have lost my "invite" to hunt some property that belongs to a friend of a friend. Place was getting crowded with "other" friends. If this is so, I may have to go back to the Public Dove Hunting areas provided by the TPWD. It's hit or miss on those places. You have to do a lot of scouting and then hope it's not too crowded on opening day, but it's better than nothing.

more info on this link:
    [url]http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/dove_hunting_areas/[/URL]

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    +1....Same here and there are even some Whitewings in the group. I remember when Whitewings were pretty much a south Texas bird.

I actually have many more Whitewings than Mourning. I'd say the ratio is probably 3:1.

Messy as hell, too...crapping all over the pool furniture and on the driveway under the oak tree where they roost. I was sitting out by the pool with my wife a couple of weeks ago, and was bitching to her about how the Whitewings were as nasty as pigeons. No sooner than I had finished getting those words out of my mouth and a damn pigeon landed just a few feet from us.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    No sooner than I had finished getting those words out of my mouth and a damn pigeon landed just a few feet from us.

True...but I'll eat a Whitewing (breast wrapped with Jalapeño, onion & beacon grilled over mesquite fire).

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    breast wrapped with Jalapeño, onion & beacon grilled over mesquite fire.

Another good one: Lightly season the breasts with salt and black pepper, then lightly dust them with powdered sage. Cover the breast with a slice of pancetta, and toothpick it into place. Grill.

Damn, I am getting HAWNGRY!!!!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Stop I'm getting hungry and I just ate lunch an hour ago. I haven't been out in a few seasons I may have to get my public land permit this year and take my FIANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's right got her shooting skeet a month ago and got told a few days latter and I quote " I wish I could have gotten into shooting and fishing earlier in life..." Happy day for me. So in case I left this out I,m trying to find a place or I will get our PLP.

Top Bottom