• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    lol..... had the balls to say what Im sure some folks were thinking.

One of the very, very few times I’ve ever seen a dove hunt over dogs was a group hunting nearby in Hamilton TX. One of the hunters shot the dog on a retrieve when a wounded bird dropped nearby and took off as the dog closed. It jumped in the air to snatch the bird and a hunter shot it in the head and neck.

If you don’t need a dog why use one.
    ARJ Defense ad

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    Bullshit.

My dogs will eat any dove I give them. They aren’t some prissy little city bitches.

The more you post, the less I think you actually know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read books and I've watched tons of videos.
    I know Dove Hunting by Charley Dickey, 1976
    Read the stupid thing.

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    lol..... had the balls to say what Im sure some folks were thinking.

One of the very, very few times I’ve ever seen a dove hunt over dogs was a group hunting nearby in Hamilton TX. One of the hunters shot the dog on a retrieve when a wounded bird dropped nearby and took off as the dog closed. It jumped in the air to snatch the bird and a hunter shot it in the head and neck.

If you don’t need a dog why use one.

Charley Dickey says pooches are a good conservation tool. I think they are a super field buddy. It's about emotions. I own this book.
    https://www.amazon.com/Charley-Dickeys-Dove-hunting-Dickey/dp/B00005VKCA

In his book he states the best dove retriever he's ever seen working was German shepherd in Texas but he favors the Labrador and the Golden is a good second.

If your dog is devouring birds, he's poorly trained, the wrong breed, a mutt or from a bad breeder. You might try feeding your dog the proper dog food and the proper portion so he isn't hungry. Many a country dog are meager and starving.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've read books and I've watched tons of videos.
    I know Dove Hunting by Charley Dickey, 1976
    Read the stupid thing.

I’m sure you’ve watched lots of videos and read a book about hunting. It’s been my suspicion since your first post. Not inclined to believe you’ve ever been in a field though. Maybe one where you shoveled out a bunch of money and were given a ride out to a field where someone else’s dog retrieved your birds and you had a nice mat put down to make sure you didn’t get all your brand new camo, jungle boots, and gloves dusty.

And I’m saying Charley Dickey don’t know Dicky about dogs or what they want to eat.

These are animals that will eat shit, puke it up, and eat it again.

My dogs have no problem eating leftover dove carcasses. Guess they never read his book.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Charley Dickey says pooches are a good conservation tool. I think they are a super field buddy. It's about emotions. I own this book.
    https://www.amazon.com/Charley-Dickeys-Dove-hunting-Dickey/dp/B00005VKCA

In his book he states the best dove retriever he's ever seen working was German shepherd in Texas but he favors the Labrador and the Golden is a good second.

If your dog is devouring birds, he's poorly trained, the wrong breed, a mutt or from a bad breeder. You might try feeding your dog the proper dog food and the proper portion so he isn't hungry. Many a country dog are meager and starving.

Ha! You have no clue what you are talking about so you jump straight to “you must not feed them enough”, lol.

Think this is the dumbest post you’ve made yet. First dogs “don’t like the taste of dove”, now they must be poorly trained if they do.

Keep moving the goal post. Maybe you’ll accidentally get it in the right spot at some point.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Author Charley Dickey in Dove Hunting, 1976 said, if memory serves me correctly, the good retriever can go a mile and half for a cripple and return it to the master's hand.

You should quit referencing that guy. He sounds like a moron.

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    You should quit referencing that guy. He sounds like a moron.

Here's my confession: I've never been dove hunting yet. Never shot any critter with a shotgun. Never went to a skeet range. Never had shotgun training. Only firing paper silhouette targets at a range with a police pump. My only hunting expedience is deer with a rifle, small varmints with a rifle and small critters including non-game birds with a BB gun. I once shot a neighbor's peacock on the ground with my 22 for trespassing and scratching my car paint. Wing-shooting is new dream to me. My only knowledge of game birds is from books and hunting videos. it's all theory and no hands-on. I've owned several non-hunting papered Labs in the past and I have no dogs now. My old Labs have passed on. For now I can only talk about birds.

I want to start wing-shooting with doves.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Here's my confession: I've never been dove hunting yet. Never shot any critter with a shotgun. Never went to a skeet range. Never had shotgun training. Only firing paper silhouette targets at a range with a police pump. My only hunting expedience is deer with a rifle, small varmints with a rifle and small critters including non-game birds with a BB gun. I once shot a neighbor's peacock on the ground with my 22 for trespassing and scratching my car paint. Wing-shooting is new dream to me. My only knowledge of game birds is from books and hunting videos. it's all theory and no hands-on. I've owned several non-hunting papered Labs in the past and I have no dogs now. My old Labs have passed on. For now I can only talk about birds.

I want to start wing-shooting with doves.
    That’s not the confession we’ve all been waiting for. We could tell by your posts that you’d never been dove hunting. Now I’m going to start masking some assumptions, and see how close I am.

1. You don’t live in San Antonio, or anywhere else in Texas.
    2. Your gun safe is in your basement, and you have it sitting on a pallet instead of bolted to the floor.
    3. This is not your first user name on this forum.

Last edited:

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    tenor.gif

Attachments

• tenor.gif
      tenor.gif
      660.3 KB · Views: 383
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im on a place in Milam County. We havent seen many birds, as of 2 weeks agao. The properties around us though havent planted anything great, except some corn which hadnt been harvested yet as of that time. We used to have quite a bit of goat weed in the pasture, but this year not as much. Not sure if any of this influences the dove. We usually see more in the late season.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom