• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Niemand Besonderes

Nobody Special
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Williamson County
    I just made a Faraday out of a 20mm ammo can.
    All I had to do was remove the rubber gasket from the lid, remove paint from the gasket sealing surface of the lid and the lip of the box, and replace the gasket with long rolled up strips of aluminum foil. I lined the inside with cardboard.
    The good thing about the 20mm cans is that they can hold four of the smaller 30cal cans which can also be converted the same way. So you could have two layers of protection for smaller devices like nods and such.
    I tested it by placing a Motorola two-way with the PTT taped down and my iPhone playing a book on tape (Going Home by A. American. Fantastic series!) inside.
    It worked fine but it feels like I could thicken up the aluminum gasket some more.

-Niemand
    DK Firearms

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Find a cookie tin. Solder an 18ga stranded wire from the lid to the cookie tin, leave a foot or so to be able to remove the top. Solder another longer wire to the tin. Attach the other end to the green terminal screw of a three prong plug. Nothing goes on the silver or brass screws. Plug it in.
    Instant Faraday cage..

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Thieves.

Not only thieves, but battery life and inconvenience. I know of someone that went on a two week cruise. they left the fob in the glove box and only took a physical key with them. When they returned, the car would not start. After several attempts, it was discovered that the fob and the car were attempting to communicate with each other until not only the fob, but the car's battery went dead. This is how I learned about the Maglite trick. It also makes sure your D cells for the flashlight are ready to go.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I just made a Faraday out of a 20mm ammo can.
    All I had to do was remove the rubber gasket from the lid, remove paint from the gasket sealing surface of the lid and the lip of the box, and replace the gasket with long rolled up strips of aluminum foil. I lined the inside with cardboard.
    The good thing about the 20mm cans is that they can hold four of the smaller 30cal cans which can also be converted the same way. So you could have two layers of protection for smaller devices like nods and such.
    I tested it by placing a Motorola two-way with the PTT taped down and my iPhone playing a book on tape (Going Home by A. American. Fantastic series!) inside.
    It worked fine but it feels like I could thicken up the aluminum gasket some more.

-Niemand
    Big fan of A. ( Angry) American and his “Home” series

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Big fan of A. ( Angry) American and his “Home” series
    Sarge is fucking awesome...lol!

Back to thread topic - been using one of these for a while, working great so far...

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Any metal can, but you need to ground it so that capacitance does not allow signal leakage.

Niemand Besonderes

Nobody Special
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Williamson County
    You don't need to ground anything. You're going to hear that a bunch.
    The trash can thing (lined with insulation) can work but you need to tape the seal with a proper metal tape that will completely seal any gaps.
    That makes it a little inconvenient to store things in there that you might use now and then. That's why I figured the ammo can is the way to go.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I still don’t understand the “why”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    C3DA0D82-ED2D-4E9B-82A9-00C05E2B9943.jpeg

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I still don’t understand the “why”.
    Many modern keyless entry systems are vulnerable and allow attackers to gain entry to your vehicle, and in many cases start them and drive away with them. All while your keys are sitting on the kitchen counter. Toyota and Ford are the two that seem to have the most attacks against them, because they relied solely on signal strength and didn't (maybe they do now, I don't know) validate the time-of-flight for the messages to make the round trip between vehicle and key fob. That allows attackers to use simple radio repeaters and directional antennae to make your car think the key is close enough to allow access.

Top Bottom