• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do I sell, trade, modify, or leave alone my DPMS Oracle?

• Sell

Votes: 4 18.2%
    • Modify

Votes: 9 40.9%
    • Trade

Votes: 3 13.6%
    • Leave it alone

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I can't speak specifically about that issue since I'm not sure what combination of things they use but if a bolt can't lock back when cycling by hand it's a sure sign that the buffer tube is too short or buffer is too long and you would probably damage the tube or threads on the lower if you shoot it like that.

I know on their ar15 platform guns they use a commercial tube that's wider than a milspec tube. However AR10 and AR15 tubes are NOT interchangeable. If a bolt travels back too far it will damage the lower.
    Capitol Armory ad

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    I can't speak specifically about that issue since I'm not sure what combination of things they use but if a bolt can't lock back when cycling by hand it's a sure sign that the buffer tube is too short or buffer is too long and you would probably damage the tube or threads on the lower if you shoot it like that.

I know on their ar15 platform guns they use a commercial tube that's wider than a milspec tube. However AR10 and AR15 tubes are NOT interchangeable. If a bolt travels back too far it will damage the lower.

Well the tube wasn't any bigger in diameter, it was just slightly longer. But hand cycling does allow the bolt to lock back at the bolt head where it should be, we'll see what happens.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Not sure what I want to do with this safe queen, a few years ago I wanted an AR10 so I bought one. Turns out I prefer 308 in a bolt gun and have only shot the thing a couple of times. Round count is less than 100, so I'm trying to decide on what I want to do with it. If I trade it I'd be looking for an AK in some flavor or a PCC. If I modify it the idea is a 20" barrel, new stock, and free float the hand guard. Maybe at that point I'd shoot it more.
    What are ya'lls thoughts or ideas?
    I've got one send it to me for adjustment

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas

They are interchangeable! Milspec and commercial are 2 different diameters but the same inside diameter and length. Because of the spring and buffer length is what makes it works. The receiver on both AR 10 and 15 have the same threads for the buffer tubes. At least on ar15 and dpms platforms. As far as gen2 and armalite I have no idea. Carbine and rifle length buffer tubes fit both ar15 and dpms gen1.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    That's what I figured out. I pulled the carbine tube off, grabbed a tape measure and measured the inside length. If anything the carbine buffer was a smidge longer.

I was spooked because looking at them side by side, the DPMS is visually longer externally.

Now to find a free float handguard and pick up a new low pro gas block.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    That's what I figured out. I pulled the carbine tube off, grabbed a tape measure and measured the inside length. If anything the carbine buffer was a smidge longer.

I was spooked because looking at them side by side, the DPMS is visually longer externally.

Now to find a free float handguard and pick up a new low pro gas block.
    Make sure it's for and threaded (barrel nut) dpms gen1 which is different for armalite. AR10 and 15 will have different handguards.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Rifle length barrel uses a rifle buffer & spring, carbine is different but my carbine works fine with the rifle lower. They are heavy but accurate guns. I replaced the A2 stock with magpul fixed. handguard uses the old style receiver - make sure what you get works with it, should come with new barrel nut. Make sure the handguard has more than just clamp-on to hold it. Otherwise it will come loose.
    My carbine does MOA @ 200 with fast cast, tad better with jacketed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom