• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Anyone have any experince with a dpms sportical. Have a chance to get one for less than $500. 5.56-.223

Sent from my iPhone by a coffeeholic
    Hurley's Gold

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Get it.
    I just ran 100+ rounds through mine.
    300 or so since I got it in October.
    No hiccups so far.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That is a horrible deal. When you pass that rip off up let me know how to get my hands on it. (Insert some kind of fancy smilie here)

I would buy it.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    That is a horrible deal. When you pass that rip off up let me know how to get my hands on it. (Insert some kind of fancy smilie here)

I would buy it.

Unless you work for wally world, no good. Still a one shot deal for me since I worked the black friday sales. Just wasn't sure how good they were since most people were buying the more expensive ones

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not a terrible deal, but their quality control isn't very good. YMMV - some are good, some won't function straight out of the factory, and others will snap the bolt.

The Sportical stock is goofy and horrible.

One thing to be aware of - not that I'm sure it makes a difference - is that the Sportical's upper receiver is extruded and not forged.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Unless you work for wally world, no good. Still a one shot deal for me since I worked the black friday sales. Just wasn't sure how good they were since most people were buying the more expensive ones

It is just a bare bones AR and most people want something fancier. If you want something to build up and make tacti-cool then spend more. If you just want one to send some rounds down range then go for it.

I believe if you bought it and decided to go higher end you could easily sell it and get your money back at that price.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Thanks, I was leaning towards that one. With 1911s, I am kinda the simple works kinda guy. Fancy dont make it go bang.

BennyS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    Katy, Texas
    Thanks, I was leaning towards that one. With 1911s, I am kinda the simple works kinda guy. Fancy dont make it go bang.

I've put about 800 rounds through my DPMS classic 16 without a problem, simple is good. These AR Are simple to clean, upgrade and repair. You'll love it!

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I like the S&W M&P 15 Sport a bit better than the DPMS Sportical, but the basic rifles can serve just fine for many folks.

$569.99 delivered for the S&W is the best price I've seen on it, so the price you mentioned sounds really good to me.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Got a sportical for LG and it has run fine on everything from steel cased Tulammo to milsurp.

The mags that can with it suck and cause a lot of feeding problems. Runs fine with all my old mags.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    What mag does the DPMS come with?

My S&W came with a 30rd PMag (and a magpul folding rear sight).

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't remember seeing any markings on them, just cheap junk mags.

I got the same with my M&P. got me hooked on Pmags.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've recommended the sportical to a lot of guys that want a first AR. I can't build them that cheap no matter how hard I try. It's not going to be the best rifle you'll ever have, but every piece in it can fit every other AR, so in other words, it makes an OK starter if you don't know how far you want to take your AR fetish. Believe me, it can get pretty deep and twisted...

I've done some basic work on them when friends but them (stake carrier key, install extractor spring upgrade, stake castle nut, etc). They are usually lacking a few of the finishing touches you get with other guns, but still totally serviceable.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    My factory dpms mag runs fine, as do pmags.
    My only complaint is that it goes through ammo real quick.
    I do like the slick sides since i shoot lefty. Brass flies clear of me and piles up neatly about 8' away at 4 o'clock.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    The forward assist, I don't miss at all... and the dust-cover isn't a must have for me either.

I like that there are such basic options in the market, and really like that the prices have come back to earth.

And I'm always needing more ammo too.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Put it on wally world layaway. Should get it thursday, waiting for my discount to kick in. Getting a bore sight and red dot too. Will need to get my brother or someone to show me how to field strip and lube it right. Never had any experience with them. Fired an AR15,2 rounds, back about 1976. Had not touched one since till wally world started selling them. Should be an adventure. We shall see,,,,,,,,,,

Top Bottom