DPS and Approvals.

Oct 8, 2008
Houston, TX
Looks like they have caught up with CHL processing.
Me and two of my friends submitted the applications at the same time and got all approved the same day...

Official day of submission: 10/28/08
USPS Certify Delivery: Your item was delivered at 9:35 AM on November 3, 2008 in AUSTIN, TX 78761.
TXDPS: Check Deposit by TXDPS 11/06/08
TXDPS: Received PIN from TXDPS 11/29/08 - Status: Processing ApplicationTXDPS: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active 01/29/08

Counting from the day the cash the check to the day I got the status updated It seems just a bit over two months.

I have to say that DPS is working hard to get all those applications process and caught up. Kudos and big Thank you to every person that works at DPS for the effort they have put to get caught up.

jdbz32

Jan 24, 2009
I experienced about the same result. I was expecting more like 4 months for an approval here in Harris county, but just received my plastic in the mail yesterday. Pin was received back around Nov 12.

jdbz32

Glock 22
Springfied XD9sc

kenj8172

Jul 11, 2008
Houston
I'm jealous... sent mine in in july and still waiting... My friend sent his in a month before me and got his in two weeks ago, so I'm hoping for the plastic to arrive in the next couple of weeks!

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
I'm jealous... sent mine in in july and still waiting... My friend sent his in a month before me and got his in two weeks ago, so I'm hoping for the plastic to arrive in the next couple of weeks!
Wow, have you called or emailed to check on it? That sounds way to long considering newer ones are already processed.

Was there any errors or corrections that were needed?

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
Jun 23, 2008
Spring, Texas
When you hit 90 days and it still hasn't appeared in your mailbox, give DPS a call:

Phone: (512) 424-7293 or (512) 424-7294
Helpline: (800) 224-5744

Some things that will slow your application/background check:

• Born or lived outside of the U.S.
  • Born or lived outside of Texas
  • Multiple arrests and/or substance abuse/psychiatric treatments to investigate
  • Your name is similar to someone with an extensive criminal record
  • You omitted information or listed inaccurate information on your application
Give them a call. Be polite. Unlike most government we deal with, the folks in the CHL department are overworked, understaffed and still maintain a reasonable level of professionalism.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
Give them a call. Be polite. Unlike most government we deal with, the folks in the CHL department are overworked, understaffed and still maintain a reasonable level of professionalism.
I agree. I was really surprised when I emailed to check on mine and got a near instant reply that was very thorough and courteous.

That was before the crunch last year, but still, a State agency? Who'da thunk it?

tomharkness

Jan 6, 2009
Just received my Utah Non-Resident Conceal Carry License. Why?.... you may ask. The Utah Non Resident License is good in Texas, has a 5 year validity, and cost much less. The best part about it is that, when my Texas CHL comes up for renewal next year, I can take my time getting it renewed and not worry about a laps. If my TXCHL laps for any period of time, my Utah Non-Resident will be acceptable until the TXCHL comes in..... NO Down time.

Even better is that the Utah Non-Resident license is valid in Navada where the TXCHL is not.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member