• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GregR56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Dreaded n.i.c.s. Delay - still waiting

Well, figured I'd report back to the group. I am now on day 21 (I think) and have heard nothing. Called Academy and they said after 30 days I need to re-apply.

What a pain in the horse................................

This really stinks.

icon8.gif
    Venture Surplus ad

emyrs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Friday I got the delay on a transfer of a gun I bought from out of state. Second time I've gotten a delay in 2 years, but this one is more frustrating, as I've been waiting 2 weeks already to get this gun, but the local dealer couldn't do the paperwork until the gun arrived.

I'm a FFL CR holder too, yet I still got the delay. Now I have to hope I get the proceed by the end of the week, or I'm going to not have the new gun to shoot at the range during my holiday weekend.

riverara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I got delayed on Wed the 24th but it went through the next day.
    And as for a 21 day delay. There is no such thing. If they dont get a proceed by the 3rd business day (M-F, excluding holidays) then you can go to the store and pick it up anyways.

GregR56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Dreaded n.i.c.s. Delay

Hey, Believe what you want. I am living proof that the 21 (now over 30) day delay is real. Even though the Feds say if the FFL does not get a proceed by the 3rd business day (M-F, excluding holidays) then you can go to the store and pick it up anyways that is meaningless as most retail FFLs will not sell without a Proceed.

Feel free to call Academy and ask (817) 375-3210. The store manager said I could re-start the process after 30 days. What this tells me is that most FFL retailers are afraid of Fed retribution if they follow the "3 day policy" and sell without the Fed OK.

HAVE A GREAT 4th OF JULY EVERYONE.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

davedude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    baton Rouge
    I'm having pretty much the same experience here in Baton Rouge (Louisiana has the same three day exception following a "delayed" sale). I bought a shotgun from Academy in April and walked out with the gun right then and there. The whole thing took about 15 minutes. Later in June when I wanted to purchase a pistol from Cabelas, I was "delayed" but was told that I could pick it after three days if they didn't get a "proceed' before that; I picked up the gun 3 days later. I now am trying to buy a .22 rifle from Academy and it's been 5 days. I've been told the same thing that GregR56 has been told; it's company policy not to release a firearm until the applicant has been cleared and after 30 days you may re-apply. I talked to a manager today and he explained the policy to me. I commented that he should go back over the lists of delayed applicants from the last couple of years to see how many guns from those lists they actually sold before folks blew them off and purchased somewhere else.

I don't think they are going to hear back from my application ever.

I also bought a pistol about 3 years ago from a shop with no wait. I'm a regular citizen with no record.

AviatorDave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I'm having pretty much the same experience here in Baton Rouge (Louisiana has the same three day exception following a "delayed" sale). I bought a shotgun from Academy in April and walked out with the gun right then and there. The whole thing took about 15 minutes. Later in June when I wanted to purchase a pistol from Cabelas, I was "delayed" but was told that I could pick it after three days if they didn't get a "proceed' before that; I picked up the gun 3 days later. I now am trying to buy a .22 rifle from Academy and it's been 5 days. I've been told the same thing that GregR56 has been told; it's company policy not to release a firearm until the applicant has been cleared and after 30 days you may re-apply. I talked to a manager today and he explained the policy to me. I commented that he should go back over the lists of delayed applicants from the last couple of years to see how many guns from those lists they actually sold before folks blew them off and purchased somewhere else.

I don't think they are going to hear back from my application ever.

I also bought a pistol about 3 years ago from a shop with no wait. I'm a regular citizen with no record.

Call the ATF. That's a bunch of crap. It's written right on the form 4473 in the instructions section on page 6 of 6 that if 3 business days have passed and the FFL has not been notified that the transfer or possession by the buyer would be illegal, they can go ahead with the transfer.

Then if it's later denied, there's a different box they check. They simply notify the ATF, and they will go recover it from the transferee.

I just had my initial ATF inspection for an 07FFL, this is one of the things we discussed.

Top Bottom