• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GregR56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    :1zhelp:
    I just bought a shotgun at the local Academy 1.5 months ago. Got hit with a 3 day delay then proceed. I went to the same store to buy a new 9mm SA pistol and got the delay again. Been waiting now for 6 days. Has this happened to anyone else? Since my proceed went through with my shotgun shouldn't my pistol purchase also go through.

Thanks

:patriot:
    Lynx Defense

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Actually, alot of people have the same experience you just had. The easiest way to get around it is to get a CHL. This avoids the NICS check all together. Another is to call the FBI NICS people and get a UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number). The UPIN can be called in when they call in the NICS and it can prevent this from happening. Essentially they are probably running into someone that is similar in name or description that is uneligible. Criminals are very well known for altering their name or assuming the identity of other similarly named people.

GregR56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Thanks. I still think it strange that I get proceed on a shotgun in 3 days and it is taking 6+ for a pistol. Shouldn't I get a proceed soon? Is it possible to get a proceed one month and a deny the next? To me this proves that the system has major flaws.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    It goes by business days. Business days for the NICS examiners, that is. They always get three days to check you out. So if you get delayed on a Tuesday you can have it on Friday (three day delay). However, worst case, if you get delayed on a Friday with a holiday on Monday you don't get it until the following Thursday (six day delay). It is all a matter of timing.

GregR56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Business Days

:confused:So, maybe they have the same "Business Days" that our Wash DC Politicians have?? That would explain it. In "Gun Owner" years I have about 2.5 more to wait for my pistol.:patriot:

Can they "Deny" after giving a "Proceed" to anyones knowledge?

My only hit should be a misdeameanor when I was as a young teen (35 years ago) and that should have been researched and noted on my previous transactions.

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    You have three business days, after the check was started. If you hear nothing back by then, you should go pick up your gun.

From the FBI.GOV site:

"The NICS Examiner will provide the FFL with the date of the third business day after the firearm check was initiated. Business days do not include the day the check was initiated, Saturdays, Sundays, and any day state offices in the state of purchase are closed. If the FFL has not received from the NICS a final determination after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must mark “No resolution was provided within three business days” on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473. It is recommended the FFL record the date provided in the delay response on which the firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law if a final determination of proceed or denied is not received from the NICS."

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    FBI NICS now gives you a date on which the transfer can occur if the FFL does not receive a call back before that date at the time the delay is given. How those states that don't use FBI NICS do it may be different.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Lakeway, Tx
    Just had the same thing happen to me. I drove over an hour to the Cabelas in Buda on friday, to buy a Savage Model 12BVSS. And guess what i get... DELAY...

I am one of those lucky persons that has ALWAYS gotten a delay EVERY time I have EVER bought a gun in the 3 different states I have lived in. I got a CCW in Arizona, guess I will have to get a CHL here too. I think it's funny, you can be in just about any state and if you get pulled over a police officer can pull up your info. why can't the damn FBI?

So I'm going back this next friday to pick it up. Wish uncle sam would bail-out my gas bill this week..

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    The computers must have been down Friday. I got a delay then but they called back Saturday and cleared it.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Spoke with a friend at the local shop.
    He said starting Thursday at about 11am everyone was put on a 3 day delay.

Sounds like the clinton years all over again, except we have a wanna be UN leader in charge.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Travis,Alan, Shilohs? Anybody want to confirm or deny this? I know Matt at Lonestar sold a gun on Friday and it went through no problem.

twobanger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Sounds like someone trying to keep the hysteria going. I got delayed Friday at 6 pm (I always get delayed) and got a call from the ffl at 10:30 am that i got a proceed. Two weeks ago I got a delay than a proceed 10 minutes later.

Alexio

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    No Delay

Two weeks ago I walked out of McBrides in Austin with my Remington 870 after about 20 minutes. My CHL was a great help.

Top Bottom