• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warrior Judge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    North Carolina
    I don't know why, but I want a Dremel rotary tool. I don't have any use for one, and I don't do a lot of handiwork around the house, but with 229 attachments, it must be good for something I "need" to do.

Do you have one? What do you use it for? Are they worth $80.00 or so with attachments or will it be another thing that sits in my work bench drawer collecting dust?

Can you sharpen knives with it? Can you really cut small diameter pipes with it without it burning out?

WJ
    ARJ Defense ad

BT1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    USA
    I've had one forever. Great little gizmo that comes in handy from everything to certain gun work to cutting small diameter pipe (it won't burn the motor out. You're more likely to bust the cutting disc).

I polish up gun internals with Craytex tips. I'd never sharpen a knife with it since it's easy for it to get away from you and trash the blade.

Worth the eighty bucks? Like you said; depends on whether you use it or not.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I had a cordless one, I don't recommend the cordless. I just got a Dremel (corded) for early Christmas was $20 off at Home Depot. Came with a bunch of attachments, my version came with a knife sharpenining attachment but I have not attempted to use it yet. You will find uses for it.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Great for polishing feed ramps on pistols, felt tip and polishing compound,
    many ways to use had mine now for years, corded type multi-speed.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    It is one of those must have tools IMO. You can get all kinds of attachments for grinding/sanding, cutting reaming, poliching, etc. Costco was selling an attachement kit that had all the extra goodies and I could not resist. I have never seen a tool I did not want or need. For me it is a sickness. Heck, I have tools for rebuliding L-head engines. I may even have some Wentworth wrenches.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I've got a Dremel I use all the time in my shop. Used hard and heavy and is still going.

If you're intending to get it to do some home 'smithing, caution!

Warrior Judge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    North Carolina
    No, I don't think I'd try any gunsmithing with it. I am not that skilled with my hands. But, polishing, light cutting, sanding, those things I might do. I was looking at one at our local Ace hardware store Friday and dropped a few hints to my wife that I might want one. So, I hope to find one under the Christmas tree.

But, seriously, 229 accessories for an extra $29.00! Even though I don't have a clue what they are all for, that sounds like a pretty good addition to the basic Dremel tool.

On The Border

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had a couple of Dremels, including a POS cordless model. If it is a Dremel you must have, make it one with a variable speed control.

I've graduated to one of these:

M_TXH_TXR_200px.jpg

It's not a Fordom, but a cheaper version. It's much easier to control then a Dremel and uses all the same attachments and tools.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I've used my dremel to do little specific crafts like when I got my new slim grips for my Colt Mustang and the long screws prevented the magazine from coming out smoothly... I just took the dremel took them down to size and now everything is perfect...

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I've used mine to polish all sorts of stuff, some gun related (internals, feed ramps, minor trigger smoothing, etc) and some not gun related (cutting through stuff, cleaning, polishing, sanding).

They are handy. Considering all the attachments, you'll find uses for it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom