Dried foods and MREs

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by TrailDust, Nov 21, 2009.

1. TrailDust

TrailDust TGT Addict

Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I'm continuing to grow and improve my camping equipment and supplies, as well as my emergency supplies, and I'm always looking for a better place to shop or better prices for dried foods and/or MREs. Anyone have recommendations to offer for businesses that sell these products at great prices? Any other dried food ideas are welcome too...I'm all ears. Thanks!

2. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Dried foods: I've tried the Mountain Home products, and they're not too bad to eat. They pack light and tight, but require plenty of water to make. Hot water is best. You can find these about anywhere.

I really prefer MREs for most of my camping needs because I can flop down on my pack and chow on a packet during a rest stop. Also, if you're going somewhere that water isn't available, it means carrying less water. I bought the Sopakco brand MREs. They've got most of the stuff the military MREs have, but no civilian MRE I've found has all of it (though they all use military components and are packed and sold by the folks who make military MREs).

I've got a ton of MRE heaters (which use water) here because I found it's easier just to eat them cold out on the trail and they taste just fine. The Sopakco heaters are the real military heaters that use plain water. Some other brands apparently require salt water to work.

You can find military MREs at gun shows from time to time, but you're rolling the dice on them.

Sopakco: Crown Point - Tray Paks

Be warned - the coffee in my MREs was decaf. Just FYI.

3. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Make friends with a Guard or Reserve Soldier....

4. TrailDust

TrailDust TGT Addict

Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    That's all right by me, since I hate coffee anyway and never drink it. :happy0001:

BTW, much obliged for the information. I'll follow the link....:happy0001:

5. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I don't drink coffee since I kicked caffeine.

6. TrailDust

TrailDust TGT Addict

Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Then all the two of us need to do is find someone to trade out coffee packets with....:happy0001:

7. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

I wish I had never started, now I can't start my day without it. How many days did it take to stop getting headaches?

8. Hawghauler

Hawghauler Active Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    The new Hallal MRE's for Moslims rock. They are a gourmet feast compared to a typical MRE. Check them out. I start my day with coffee and re-apply at lunch. It is one of my last vices and I don't plan on giving that one up. BTW, beer is a dietary supplement not a vice.

9. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    According to what I've heard it takes anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks for the caffeine to be out of your system completely depending on how heavily caffeinated you are. When I kicked caffeine a while back (I drink it again now this was an experiment) It took about three days for the headaches to go away.
    I like the Military MREs they eat good for the most part my buddy gave me some that he had when he got back from Iraq the first time and they're good for on the go I used to keep one behind the seat of my truck for just in case. But after I used it I never replaced it.

10. Wraith

Wraith Active Member

Oct 17, 2009
    DFW
    Kicking caffeine is a bitch, 5 days of headaches but I was drinking two Monster energy drinks and a 6 pack of various cola each day. Thank god I don't like coffee. Going on three weeks now.