• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I'm continuing to grow and improve my camping equipment and supplies, as well as my emergency supplies, and I'm always looking for a better place to shop or better prices for dried foods and/or MREs. Anyone have recommendations to offer for businesses that sell these products at great prices? Any other dried food ideas are welcome too...I'm all ears. Thanks!
    Hurley's Gold

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Dried foods: I've tried the Mountain Home products, and they're not too bad to eat. They pack light and tight, but require plenty of water to make. Hot water is best. You can find these about anywhere.

I really prefer MREs for most of my camping needs because I can flop down on my pack and chow on a packet during a rest stop. Also, if you're going somewhere that water isn't available, it means carrying less water. I bought the Sopakco brand MREs. They've got most of the stuff the military MREs have, but no civilian MRE I've found has all of it (though they all use military components and are packed and sold by the folks who make military MREs).

I've got a ton of MRE heaters (which use water) here because I found it's easier just to eat them cold out on the trail and they taste just fine. The Sopakco heaters are the real military heaters that use plain water. Some other brands apparently require salt water to work.

You can find military MREs at gun shows from time to time, but you're rolling the dice on them.

Sopakco: Crown Point - Tray Paks

Be warned - the coffee in my MREs was decaf. Just FYI.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    The new Hallal MRE's for Moslims rock. They are a gourmet feast compared to a typical MRE. Check them out. I start my day with coffee and re-apply at lunch. It is one of my last vices and I don't plan on giving that one up. BTW, beer is a dietary supplement not a vice.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I wish I had never started, now I can't start my day without it. How many days did it take to stop getting headaches?
    According to what I've heard it takes anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks for the caffeine to be out of your system completely depending on how heavily caffeinated you are. When I kicked caffeine a while back (I drink it again now this was an experiment) It took about three days for the headaches to go away.
    I like the Military MREs they eat good for the most part my buddy gave me some that he had when he got back from Iraq the first time and they're good for on the go I used to keep one behind the seat of my truck for just in case. But after I used it I never replaced it.

Wraith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    DFW
    Kicking caffeine is a bitch, 5 days of headaches but I was drinking two Monster energy drinks and a 6 pack of various cola each day. Thank god I don't like coffee. Going on three weeks now.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Here we go... way off topic. If TD wants, I can separate these out at some point.

I wish I had never started, now I can't start my day without it. How many days did it take to stop getting headaches?

Pick a three-day weekend where you're not doing much. IIRC, I drank my last caffeine in a Coke at a friend's house Memorial Day weekend '08. To be honest, there were two reasons I quit - because I hated the thought that I was addicted and a lot of it was because I didn't want the headaches clouding my judgment or making me inattentive if "the big one" finally hit while I was living in CA.

Tips:
    Taper it down first. I cut back till I was at one caffeinated beverage a day, be it coffee or soda.

Switch to water. Get a Nalgene bottle or something like it and keep it filled with water. Lots of ice and a filter help make it more refreshing.

Drink lots of water! Know how much is too much, but keep your pee from going orange.

Keeping ice water handy at all times in the early part of your withdrawl helps in two ways - it gives you something to drink (you'll have the urge to drink something to alleviate the headache) and keeping well-hydrated actually does help a lot with the headaches.

According to what I've heard it takes anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks for the caffeine to be out of your system completely depending on how heavily caffeinated you are. When I kicked caffeine a while back (I drink it again now this was an experiment) It took about three days for the headaches to go away.

That was my experience, too. IMO a 3-day weekend where you're not doing a lot is the perfect time to kick.

Kicking caffeine is a bitch, 5 days of headaches but I was drinking two Monster energy drinks and a 6 pack of various cola each day. Thank god I don't like coffee. Going on three weeks now.

Ouch! If you'd tapered down, it would have been 2-3 days (I've quit twice now), but now that you're past that point it's all easy sailing as long as you can resist the urges. It's amazing how addictive caffeine really is.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    To be honest, there were two reasons I quit - because I hated the thought that I was addicted and a lot of it was because I didn't want the headaches clouding my judgment or making me inattentive if "the big one" finally hit while I was living in CA.

+1

I can't get my day started without coffee and being addicted isn't as glamorous as I make it look. I'd hate to find myself in spot where I couldn't get coffee and needed a clear head.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    If you're looking for real MREs....You should try mredepot.com. I've bought plenty of stuff from them.

From the site:

Military MRE Tray Pack, Apple Dessert, Ready to Eat
    MRE Tray Packs are used by the US military for field kitchen applications when feeding large groups of combat and support soldiers. They are packed in large, shelf-stable, flexible and sturdy poly trays. Each tray contains up to 7.5 pounds of fully cooked, ready to eat food. Most Tray Pack menu items feed 18+ people per Tray. PRICE: $11.45

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    From the site:

Military MRE Tray Pack, Apple Dessert, Ready to Eat
    MRE Tray Packs are used by the US military for field kitchen applications when feeding large groups of combat and support soldiers. They are packed in large, shelf-stable, flexible and sturdy poly trays. Each tray contains up to 7.5 pounds of fully cooked, ready to eat food. Most Tray Pack menu items feed 18+ people per Tray. PRICE: $11.45

LOL it sounds good, but I know it'd probably taste like crap.

Still, part of me thinks it'd almost be worth the extra weight on the trail just to gorge on it later on.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    The Sportsmans Guide sells them as well for (I think) a decent price, $63.00 per case of 12 if you are a member.

[url]http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/mre-meals.aspx?a=271438[/URL]

Thanks for the link. I think at this point I'll mostly buy some MREs for my deep back-country hikes. Like Hawg had pointed out earlier, canned goods and such keep for years if stored properly and I've got enough stored at home to last four people at least six months and myself...well...years. At this point I think it's a matter of choosing meals that are the tastiest, but also have high calorie counts for satisfying some nasty hunger after hiking and climbing all day.

Top Bottom