• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I need to make a trip to the Boise area of Idaho soon and I now hate flying like a plague. I used to fly constantly when I worked but these days it seem sit is always 50/50 in terms of delays or cancellations. My son flies back and forth between DFW and LAX every month and he is always caught in a mess even though those flights are among the most regular in the nation.

Anyway, Alaska and American fly direct to Boise so I know I can do that if need be. On the other hand, I am not averse to a 2 day road trip but the 26 hour driving route from the Dallas area to Boise looks a whole lot sketchier than driving on I-10 or 1-40 because there are a whole lot of road changes when you head Northwest.

Has anyone made that drive and, if so, any particular routes that are better than others or anything to absolutely avoid? I am in no big hurry but would appreciate some input.

I will actually be leaving from Smith County but the drive to Dallas on the 20 is just a necessary evil that I know all too well.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I drove from Jacksonville, Florida to just before Boise (Mountain Home AFB) in 1984, and if you have the time, I'd recommend the drive. It would be much easier for you as you bypass that central plains portion of the States which, while beautiful is also a bit boring after a while.

That's roughly a 1600 mile drive which translates to about 24 hours behind the wheel.

You have two nice route options, either west to Albuquerque then north through Salt Lake City, or west to Amarillo then north through Denver and across Wyoming. Both would be very scenic!

A third route would be going straight north out of Amarillo but I would guess that's the least enjoyale option.

Have a great drive!

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    We made that trip last September . Idaho is one of the most boring states to drive through. Boise is nice, but liberal. Like their version of Austin only it has not gone totally off the cliff. Houston to Lubbock, then through Albuquerque, Moab, Salt Lake City then Boise. BTKs grave is only a few miles off the highway so we stopped since we were in NM. Utah is really one of the most scenic states, very pretty

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I need to make a trip to the Boise area of Idaho soon and I now hate flying like a plague. I used to fly constantly when I worked but these days it seem sit is always 50/50 in terms of delays or cancellations. My son flies back and forth between DFW and LAX every month and he is always caught in a mess even though those flights are among the most regular in the nation.

Anyway, Alaska and American fly direct to Boise so I know I can do that if need be. On the other hand, I am not averse to a 2 day road trip but the 26 hour driving route from the Dallas area to Boise looks a whole lot sketchier than driving on I-10 or 1-40 because there are a whole lot of road changes when you head Northwest.

Has anyone made that drive and, if so, any particular routes that are better than others or anything to absolutely avoid? I am in no big hurry but would appreciate some input.

I will actually be leaving from Smith County but the drive to Dallas on the 20 is just a necessary evil that I know all too well.
    Piece of cake. I have driven straight through from Boise to central Texas before.

287/385
    I-70
    I-25
    I-80
    I-84/I-15

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I drove from Jacksonville, Florida to just before Boise (Mountain Home AFB) in 1984, and if you have the time, I'd recommend the drive. It would be much easier for you as you bypass that central plains portion of the States which, while beautiful is also a bit boring after a while.

That's roughly a 1600 mile drive which translates to about 24 hours behind the wheel.

You have two nice route options, either west to Albuquerque then north through Salt Lake City, or west to Amarillo then north through Denver and across Wyoming. Both would be very scenic!

A third route would be going straight north out of Amarillo but I would guess that's the least enjoyale option.

Have a great drive!
    In full agreement with two items:
    * plains states are boring. WY lasts ForEVER.
    * The route north out of SLC is gorgeous. Beautiful high mountain driving. I did it On the Police Road King I bought that same day. Zen experience...time slowed down and I could hear every single exhaust pulse. Po.....Tay......To.....Po...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It's a beautiful drive. MOAB is very nice if you go that way. I always just GPS it (compare a few different systems but they're usually the same) and go.

I hate flying also but that usually wasn't an option for me since I needed a trailer.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’d try for Laramie, WY on the first day, but be happy to get as far as Ft Collins. From Laramie, I’d take 80W to Salt Lake City then 84W to Boise.

I don’t really see the trip as too complex to drive, but 26 hours is 26 hours and I’m usually not looking forward to the return trip because it’s a chore.

The challenge for the airlines is capacity; they have the planes but not the crews so a hiccup anywhere in the system ripples through the whole system. At least the DFW-BOI trip is operated by AA and not one of their regional partners who are in even worse shape for crews.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas

I drive that every summer enroute Puget Sound...if scenery is important, I drive to Pagosa Springs or Durango CO via Trinidad then US 160 the first day 12 hours then thru Moab Price UT and SLC to Boise about 13 hours depending on how much touristy stuff I do. Got back from Pagosa last night! OBTW SLC is 2 hours of traffic and rude drivers, a nice option if you choose Grand Junction CO vice Moab, is to take the road over Wild Horse Mesa just West of GJ via Dinosauer Natl Park and either Flaming Gorge or angle towards Idaho Falls. That route from Durango also has the best road views in the USA from Silverton to Ouray

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I will add my 2 cents regarding flying, which I used to do regularly.

Never, ever again.

The ridiculousness of TSA's high handed arrogance coupled with possibly being a prisoner for hours and hours on end on the ground in a hot, miserable airplane...happened to my wife and I coming back from Venezuela.

You're a prisoner and there's no getting off the airplane...you're stuck and will experience their particular kind of torture.

Nope, even if someone I love dies or is terribly injured, I won't be flying to (fill in the blank) attend the funeral or visit the hospital.

There will be no situation compelling me to fly ever again!

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    We drove from Portland to DFW back in 2014. Lots of state highways, through Albuquerque, Moab and SLC.

I would avoid that route during the summer tourist season. That whole Utah part of the drive will likely be clogged with tourists and cause a lot of slowdowns.

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    I've driven the route several times and spend the night in Albuquerque. We usually leave about 2am to avoid the traffic and the heat. Not much too look at in N. TX and S. NM, so we're not missing out by driving in the dark. Download several hours of audiobooks or podcasts to pass the time.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    I will add my 2 cents regarding flying, which I used to do regularly.

Never, ever again.

The ridiculousness of TSA's high handed arrogance coupled with possibly being a prisoner for hours and hours on end on the ground in a hot, miserable airplane...happened to my wife and I coming back from Venezuela.

You're a prisoner and there's no getting off the airplane...you're stuck and will experience their particular kind of torture.

Nope, even if someone I love dies or is terribly injured, I won't be flying to (fill in the blank) attend the funeral or visit the hospital.

TSA is nothing but a scam to "provide jobs" to dumber than monkey idiots that could not find a job otherwise.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The best time to fly was right after 9/11. I had to fly all over the country starting the day after the ground stop was lifted.

I've never been on so many full size jet airliners where there maybe 10 passengers, max.

Today I'll fly if there's a sufficiently compelling reason. I haven't been able to think of such a reason yet but I'm open to the idea that such a thing might exist.

As an aside - I wonder what it costs to take an ocean voyage from Texas to Europe? Is such a thing still extant?

Top Bottom