Military Camp

Dropped a deposit on ~35+ acres today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    This is our plan. I might do side-gigs with equipment purchased.

One thing "I" really didn't think about is a toilet for the ladies, or if males have to excrete more than just tree-uric acid containing fluids...

I think I am going to need to build an outhouse, at least for use while going there for the weekend.
    "BUT more of a reason to buy a multi-purpose tractor!" - Say I, to the wife... :D

South of Henderson (half-wayish between Henderson and Mt. Enterprise), outside of city limits, it looks to maybe be legal to build/make an outhouse, if the following don't apply?:
    • Is over 200 square feet
    • Has plumbing
    • Is over 15 feet tall
    • Is attached to your home
    • Is built on a floodplain
    • Is more than one story high
    Is that for a 1 or 2 holer?
    Lynx Defense

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Is that for a 1 or 2 holer?
    This isn't ancient Rome, we do #2 things one at a time, here in America...

1-Holer, of course. Wives don't need to share everything in parallel...
    Although I was just looking and small campers with a 1-Holer might be more fit for the ladies.

It's wouldn't be the first time I locked open the E-Tool and used a wire-bound ammo crate for doing my business...
    Once empty, re-wire-bind, and YES, it's a field-crapper.
    1660090912039.png

...and YES, once re-recycled, I WILL turn it in to DRMO... :p

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    This isn't ancient Rome, we do #2 things one at a time, here in America...

1-Holer, of course. Wives don't need to share everything in parallel...
    Although I was just looking and small campers with a 1-Holer might be more fit for the ladies.

It's wouldn't be the first time I locked open the E-Tool and used a wire-bound ammo crate for doing my business...
    Once empty, re-wire-bind, and YES, it's a field-crapper.
    View attachment 337855
    ...and YES, once re-recycled, I WILL turn it in to DRMO... :p
    True story. My great Uncle was very proud of two thing other than his wife. The hand pump he had installed for my Great Aunt at the kitchen sink and his 3 hole outhouse he had built. Never did figure that one out. These folks actually used the Sears "wish book" for TP.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Need a new friend?
    Actually I haven't made any out here working from home, and being new to the area,
    AND I don't have a lot in common with Leftie-DemonRats...

LOTS of used guns I want in the DFW area, BUT don't want to drive around there anymore ... :)
    That's why I moved out here, near Tyler...

Maybe we can make a work out a deal.. ?
    What non-brass lever guns you want to part with?
    Got anything that mows small trees like this?:

Is that type of deal legal?
    :D
    I'm an honest guy... ;)

(Although, it MIGHT be more cost effective to just get a local yearly range membership...
    compared to the drive out past Henderson, with gas prices the way they are...)

Last edited:

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    My wife is trying to convince me to sell our house and buy some land in East TX also. We currently reside in DFW
    IMHO Sell now while it's still high'ish, rent until the market tanks, and buy more than you thought you could, for less money...
    (Unless you find a gold-mine of range-area, like me... I couldn't pass it up.)

I bought my house Dec 2009 (low), sold in Dec 2021 (high'ish, but not top'd), and am just now capitalizing...
    I don't think it is going much higher, before the flop...
    Market flops every 10-15 years, I understand... and I am WINNING like Charlie Sheen...

It DID take me 9-10 months of on-off Zillow searching to find this goldmine... I though tit was less, but including some time between searching, it was probably 9-10 months.

Last edited:

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    IMHO Sell now while it's still high'ish, rent until the market tanks, and buy more than you thought you could, for less money...
    (Unless you find a gold-mine of range-area, like me... I couldn't pass it up.)

I bought my house Dec 2009 (low), sold in Dec 2021 (high'ish, but not top'd), and am just now capitalizing...
    I don't think it is going much higher, before the flop...
    Market flops every 10-15 years, I understand... and I am WINNING like Charlie Sheen...

It DID take me 9-10 months of on-off Zillow searching to find this goldmine... I though tit was less, but including some time between searching, it was probably 9-10 months.

Problem is your money is going to lose a ton of value in the meantime. I have a client that did this last year (I'm a full-time Realtor), and has lost over 10% of the value of the net from the home sale.

Eli

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Problem is your money is going to lose a ton of value in the meantime. I have a client that did this last year (I'm a full-time Realtor), and has lost over 10% of the value of the net from the home sale.

Eli
    The only money I lost in the bank was when I saw so many guns hit the shelves again,
    AND THE AMMO, OH the ammo for 5.7, and .50 AE is crazy-town! :D

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Congrats on your purchase! As I'm nearing paying off my mortgage in the next 3 or so years, I'm now contemplating what to do and where to go myself. I like the little town I'm currently in and while its growing really fast I'm not in love with my current house. Zillow says its gone up $170k in the last 4 years (inaccurate I know) I'm weighing paying off the mortgage, then saving for another 2 years to start a new mortgage on 10-15 acres, then sell this house and begin living on that land after building a studio apartment or small guest house. I haven't spent much time in east Texas myself, not even sure if I want to stay in Texas but land seems like a pretty secure holding for land. Not sure if it'll go up as fast as an index fund, but I'm clearly not an investing genius. I can only attest the few people I have talked to that either inherited land or had my same plan bought below $5000 an acre, and now its up around $20,000 an acre over 10-15 years. Not a terrible investment but property taxes seems to take more of a cut that capital gains.

Thumper7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    East Texas
    I think your estimate for a well might be a little low. My place is in Anderson County west of Palestine. I had a well put in about 12 years ago. It’s 540’ deep and was about 14k.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    My wife is trying to convince me to sell our house and buy some land in East TX also. We currently reside in DFW
    I would really like to live deep in the Piney Woods. But not sure I can convince the better half to move farther away yet from the grandkiddos.

Top Bottom