• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Honestly there's a good chance that m193 is already factory loaded with the keg version of H335. I would pull a bullet to spec one out as far as seating depth vs bullet length and measure out the powder charge. If you wanted to create a match quality ammo you could also sacrifice a round to even out the charges with the powder from the pulled round.

I've enjoyed a good 10 lbs of aa2230 over the years but strictly for 60gr and under. Now I try to use Tac for everything and have found most of my rifles shoot the 60-65 gr bullets the best. They are mostly 1:8 twists though.

As far as primers just keep checking around, midway, powder valley,Brownells,graf's,etc and you will see things pop up. Also you can usually work a horse trade of some kind to get what you need for what you've got.

Lastly, don't hesitate if you can get a great deal on a gp100. You should be able to find 38 special to shoot out of it if nothing else.
    Target Sports

Import

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Copperas Cove
    Honestly there's a good chance that m193 is already factory loaded with the keg version of H335. I would pull a bullet to spec one out as far as seating depth vs bullet length and measure out the powder charge. If you wanted to create a match quality ammo you could also sacrifice a round to even out the charges with the powder from the pulled round.

I've enjoyed a good 10 lbs of aa2230 over the years but strictly for 60gr and under. Now I try to use Tac for everything and have found most of my rifles shoot the 60-65 gr bullets the best. They are mostly 1:8 twists though.

As far as primers just keep checking around, midway, powder valley,Brownells,graf's,etc and you will see things pop up. Also you can usually work a horse trade of some kind to get what you need for what you've got.

Lastly, don't hesitate if you can get a great deal on a gp100. You should be able to find 38 special to shoot out of it if nothing else.

During the Panicdemic I was trying to buy all sorts of goodies, and finally realized that I was heading for a dumb situation with a dozen different .223/5.56 loads etc. So I made the command decision to stick to 55 grain; M193, Speer 55gr GDSP, and 55gr TTSX handloads. It looks like H335 is as good as it gets for that bullet weight.

I did finally figure out that ball powders coming from St. Mark's down in FL are becoming available, but the better extreded powders such as H322 coming from Australia are not to be had.

The Big Brown Truck is supposed to bring me more H335 today.

I plan on doing a little horse-trading (I have a bunch of 62gr TTSX, but WTT for 55gr TTSX). At some point I have a few old Glocks to use for swapping. I'd love to swap for some primers suitable for 5.56.

As for the GP100, I keep flip-flopping between wanting a GP100 and a 4 inch SP101. And of course the 4 inch SP101s are scarce as hen's teeth.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've loaded many thousands of 5.56/223 rounds with wolf sr mag and cci sr. Both are known for having fairly hard primer cups. Iirc most load data for h335 calls for magnum primers. I still have a couple thousand processed sr mag primed cases. I use them with all powders without hesitation.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    I think we are getting to the tipping point where people are not panic buying as much, as Academy was full-up on about everything, Superior Outfitters has about everything but .50 AE, and although the shelves are full-up there too, people aren't buying everything they can get their hands on anymore...

Me thinks that primers should come down and be more widely avail soon...
    (Just my hypothesis, based on my experience with/after the prior 2 panics...
    Grain of salt, and all...)

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I think we are getting to the tipping point where people are not panic buying as much, as Academy was full-up on about everything, Superior Outfitters has about everything but .50 AE, and although the shelves are full-up there too, people aren't buying everything they can get their hands on anymore...

Me thinks that primers should come down and be more widely avail soon...
    (Just my hypothesis, based on my experience with/after the prior 2 panics...
    Grain of salt, and all...)

I would agree with that. When I do see primers come available online, they are staying in stock for a lot longer than they have been the last couple years. Thank God people aren’t rushing to pay .12-.15 per primer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    MidSouth has small pistol primers in stock right now. Ginex, $399 for 5,000. And Natchez has CCI small rifle primers for $96 per 1,000. Too much for me, but if you need ‘em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've loaded many thousands of 5.56/223 rounds with wolf sr mag and cci sr. Both are known for having fairly hard primer cups. Iirc most load data for h335 calls for magnum primers. I still have a couple thousand processed sr mag primed cases. I use them with all powders without hesitation.
    Love H335 for 223 rounds. Years ago I was able to find Rem BR primers regularly so I bought a bunch. Have a great load. The BR primers allow me to use the JP light springs in my rifle. The CCI primers were too hard to fire with the JP light springs. The light trigger pull helps me be more accurate.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I wonder if it's a supply issue or demand issue?

When things aren't available people quit looking. Once you see them again then people start looking again and buy it up.

Is the supply drying up or is the stuff flying off the shelf so fast we don't see it now that people are paying attention again?
    I though we demand supply:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: and that shouldn't be an issue!

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Things are starting to look better, with actual options to buy for ammo again, rather than "we have these and you are going to buy them, as that is all that is avail...":

I believe this is a good sign, and so primers should start to be avail. and come down if ammo is avail.

And here:
    Ammo-coming-down.png

Last edited:

crash813

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2022
    ATX
    When the no name ammo starts sitting on the shelf, they will stop buying all the extra primers manufacturers are making. Hopefully then, things will get somewhat back to normal. I think its clear that manufacturers aren't building more capacity, you just have to let the wave of demand wane.

Top Bottom