• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    With about 500 rounds down range with this rifle now, i feel pretty confident in giving it a fair review, so here goes.

Before we get too deep, i want to talk a bit about what it took to get this rifle. DSA quoted me a 4 month wait time. I will also note I had them also do their speed trigger upgrade to the rifle. In the same order, a friend ordered an 18" BRS rifle, with the same trigger job

On month 4, we received shipping notification for the BRS rifle, they said they were waiting on the bipod. For the next several months i tried several times (through call and email) to just ship the rifle without the bipod, to no avail. At about 8 1/2 months, I talked to them through Arfcom, and managed to get them to ship the rifle without the bipod.

So at 9 months, i get the rifle, with the bipod.

Whatever.

As it came
    20210201_121614.jpg

As i made it
    Point Blur_May262021_163739.jpg

60 rounds in, i have my first issue, the right rear sight screw head shears off. I also have the buffer tube unthread, which kinks up the recoil spring pretty bad. Fortunately i was able to fix these issues when they happened. Since then i have had no issues, outside of getting the gas system tuned, or crappy surplus mags
    20210204_145005.jpg

Ergonomics, good. The selector is a stretch, but aside from that, the standard FAL is real hard to beat. Not quite as good as an AR, but very good.
    20210526_164047.jpg

The bolt catch is right where your thumb is when changing a mag
    20210526_164029.jpg

Mag release is right in front of your trigger finger
    20210526_164120.jpg

Trigger, if its standard, its bad. DSA's speed trigger is good, though not as good as an M1 trigger. Standard FAL triggers are at least 9lbs, the DSA speed trigger drops it to around 5lbs. Reset is good and tactile.

Sights, OK. Better than an AK, or PTR. Not as good as an M1, this is due to the fact the front and rear sight sights are on separate receiver halves. According to the manual, the rear sight adjustment is 1cm at 100m, or *roughly* a little over a quarter of an inch at 100 yards. The front sight post is quite large, and nearly covers a 13"x19" target at 100 yards.

Accuracy. For a combat rifle with a chrome lined barrel? Fine. My average group size with Malaysian M80 surplus is around 3" to 4" at 50 yards
    20210202_153218.jpg

That group was cut short by a certain broken screw

With M118LR, group size is around 2" to 3" I would like to try other, better loads, but sourcing them... Has been an issue.
    Point Blur_May262021_155108.jpg

Group size would improve should i mount an optic (and became a better shooter), but as it sits, i am happy with the rifle. Should you get one, i do recommend keeping some spare parts around should something break.
    Guns International

ghostrider45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    Central Texas
    With about 500 rounds down range with this rifle now, i feel pretty confident in giving it a fair review, so here goes.

Before we get too deep, i want to talk a bit about what it took to get this rifle. DSA quoted me a 4 month wait time. I will also note I had them also do their speed trigger upgrade to the rifle. In the same order, a friend ordered an 18" BRS rifle, with the same trigger job

On month 4, we received shipping notification for the BRS rifle, they said they were waiting on the bipod. For the next several months i tried several times (through call and email) to just ship the rifle without the bipod, to no avail. At about 8 1/2 months, I talked to them through Arfcom, and managed to get them to ship the rifle without the bipod.

So at 9 months, i get the rifle, with the bipod.

Whatever.

As it came View attachment 258184

As i made it
    View attachment 258189

60 rounds in, i have my first issue, the right rear sight screw head shears off. I also have the buffer tube unthread, which kinks up the recoil spring pretty bad. Fortunately i was able to fix these issues when they happened. Since then i have had no issues, outside of getting the gas system tuned, or crappy surplus mags
    View attachment 258187

Ergonomics, good. The selector is a stretch, but aside from that, the standard FAL is real hard to beat. Not quite as good as an AR, but very good.
    View attachment 258192

The bolt catch is right where your thumb is when changing a mag View attachment 258190

Mag release is right in front of your trigger finger View attachment 258191

Trigger, if its standard, its bad. DSA's speed trigger is good, though not as good as an M1 trigger. Standard FAL triggers are at least 9lbs, the DSA speed trigger drops it to around 5lbs. Reset is good and tactile.

Sights, OK. Better than an AK, or PTR. Not as good as an M1, this is due to the fact the front and rear sight sights are on separate receiver halves. According to the manual, the rear sight adjustment is 1cm at 100m, or *roughly* a little over a quarter of an inch at 100 yards. The front sight post is quite large, and nearly covers a 13"x19" target at 100 yards.

Accuracy. For a combat rifle with a chrome lined barrel? Fine. My average group size with Malaysian M80 surplus is around 3" to 4" at 50 yards
    View attachment 258185
    That group was cut short by a certain broken screw

With M118LR, group size is around 2" to 3" I would like to try other, better loads, but sourcing them... Has been an issue.
    View attachment 258183

Group size would improve should i mount an optic (and became a better shooter), but as it sits, i am happy with the rifle. Should you get one, i do recommend keeping some spare parts around should something break.

Any spare parts in particular you recommend?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I've fired several models of the FAL design, I have to say I just don't think it's nearly as good of a design as the AR platform or even the M1 platform. They're neat, but I would never buy one. Thanks for the review though!

ghostrider45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    Central Texas
    I got an automated email about a reply to this thread asking about parts availability, but I don't actually see it here. strange.

Anyway, here are some links for parts:

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    One of my great gun regrets is selling a 16” DSA SA58. Terrific gun and my favorite x51 rifle

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I've fired several models of the FAL design, I have to say I just don't think it's nearly as good of a design as the AR platform or even the M1 platform. They're neat, but I would never buy one. Thanks for the review though!
    Been saying this for a while. It’s not on my list of rifles to get. I would have thought dsa would not poopoo parts on their guns. That screw is sad.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    My biggest complaint on the FN FAL - the design, not DSA's - is there's simply too many parts, and WAY too many screws!

Eli

The FAL really isn't that complicated, the amount of parts isn't out of line for a semi automatic battle rifle.

And as for screws, My M1's have 10, front sight screw, gas plug, gas cylinder lock, stacking swivel screw, sling swivel screw, 3 screws alone in the rear sight assembly, and the 2 buttplate screws

For the FAL, it has 13 off the top of my head.

With both designs, some parts you aren't meant to get into.

I dont think it has too many screws, or is too complex, the big issue in my mind is not having a multi lug rotating bolt

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    While I like my L1A1 a lot....I would only go metric if I was to ever buy another one....parts availability being a major reason..............

Thanks for the review..................

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    The FAL really isn't that complicated, the amount of parts isn't out of line for a semi automatic battle rifle.

And as for screws, My M1's have 10, front sight screw, gas plug, gas cylinder lock, stacking swivel screw, sling swivel screw, 3 screws alone in the rear sight assembly, and the 2 buttplate screws

For the FAL, it has 13 off the top of my head.

With both designs, some parts you aren't meant to get into.

I dont think it has too many screws, or is too complex, the big issue in my mind is not having a multi lug rotating bolt
    I strongly agree on the bolt, the rotating bolt has long proven itself superior to the tilting block.
    My cursory research shows the M1 has 60 parts, the M14 65, the AKM around 80, the HK G3 has 95, and the FN FAL has 120.
    The issue wi the screws is what happens when you lose one? If you lose the gas plug on the M1/M14, it becomes a straight-pull bolt-action, no other screw is 'mission critical' on the Garand design. If you lose a screw on the FN, it's usually catastrophic.

Eli

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I strongly agree on the bolt, the rotating bolt has long proven itself superior to the tilting block.
    My cursory research shows the M1 has 60 parts, the M14 65, the AKM around 80, the HK G3 has 95, and the FN FAL has 120.
    The issue wi the screws is what happens when you lose one? If you lose the gas plug on the M1/M14, it becomes a straight-pull bolt-action, no other screw is 'mission critical' on the Garand design. If you lose a screw on the FN, it's usually catastrophic.

Eli

I assume you got those parts counts from numrich, if so, you must remember they will often list alternative parts as well, ie, Israeli handguards have several parts per side, and you will get 2 separate listings for each complete half, plus however many listings for each individual part.

Some parts will be listed as numbers for one gun (like each part of a magazine, and maybe another separate listing for the entire mag), others will have magazines listed in the "not listed" catch-all, or some times they will list ancillary items, like bayonets, sight protectors, cleaning kits, etc.

The screws on the FN, while easy to remove, are not touched during normal field stripping, not even for removal of the handguards, which have a captured screw.

You only mess with screws if you are doing armorer level work. The only functionally important screws are the screw that holds the magazine release and bolt hold open in, and the screw that holds the upper and lower together. That and maybe the takedown lever screw, but that involves removing the buttstock

It takes effort to lose a screw on the FN. and quite frankly, i think its a far better solution than the non-captured pins of an HK, and an acceptable alternative to the spring and detent and roll pin system used by the AR.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I assume you got those parts counts from numrich, if so, you must remember they will often list alternative parts as well, ie, Israeli handguards have several parts per side, and you will get 2 separate listings for each complete half, plus however many listings for each individual part.

The FN FAL part count came from DSA, the rest from Numrich, so it's most likely the non-FAL counts are inflated.

Eli

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The FN FAL part count came from DSA, the rest from Numrich, so it's most likely the non-FAL counts are inflated.

Eli

Not really, for example the numrich M14/m1a listing has the magazine listed under "NI". Looking at the illustration, its pretty clear a good amount of parts aren't shown

Juggernaut762

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2021
    Belton, TX
    I have an Imbel FAL and have the DSA top cover on it that locks onto the upper receiver. Has the 21" barrel with bipod and Belgian combo muzzle device. They do make aftermarket parts to help the ergonomics a little. I am looking at getting a Primary Arms 4-14 or 3-18 308 DMR scope and see what kind of accuracy I can get at 100 yards and beyond with M80 and M118LR ammo.

Top Bottom