Join TexasGunTalk

Dsa fal

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Stukaman, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Stukaman

Stukaman Well-Known

Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Ok being in nightshift has given be a ton of time to think. I've been wanting a .308 battler rifle for no other reason than I want one. So is narrowed it between to models of the same rifle. The SA58 Tactical or the SA58 Congo rifle. Anybody have and experience with the FAL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Active Member BANNED!!!

Jan 12, 2013
    Longview, Tx
    FAL is completely AWESOME. My favorite battle rifle by a longshot. Make sure you get the STG-58 bipod that folds right into the front hand guard.

3. Stukaman

Stukaman Well-Known

Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I'd really like the Congo Rifle with the tactical rail on it so I could mount an Eotech or Acog.

4. Stukaman

Stukaman Well-Known

Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I'm willing to look at the PTR-91 as well but the FAL just looks right to me so it will be purchased before a PTR-91

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Active Member BANNED!!!

Jan 12, 2013
    Longview, Tx
    You'll never feel better and more natural ergonomics than on an FAL.

6. Kyle

Kyle Needs More Cowbell! TGT Supporter

Feb 24, 2011
    Hill Country
    Fal all the way. You can't go wrong with it. I wish I still had mine :/

7. Andy

Andy Active Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Built a number of FALs, used them a few times in the South African Defence Force - my favorite rifle. Make sure you get the metric version - parts and magazines are so much easier to find than for the inch (Commonwealth) variants.

One thing you might want to change out is the pistol-grip; the standard, as-issued grip is at a pretty steep angle. Looks sexy and is nice for shooting from the hip in the bush, but not ideal for shooting from the shoulder. DSA makes good gear - I used one of their receivers (Type 2) when building my first FAL.

Here are your receiver types: 15s3pr6.jpg

Type 1 is the original design. The type 2 came about because a few type 1s cracked at the very rear of the receiver under extensive full-auto fire - notice the extra metal at the rear, like a small inverted V-shape, compared to the type 1? Type 2 is generally-considered to be the sexiest ;)

Type 3 is the strongest (but plainest) - notice how it doesn't have the lightening-cuts that the other two have? This makes it slightly heavier, but is cheaper and faster to produce due to less machining.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  8. V-Tach

V-Tach TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    I have an inch pattern L1A1 with a 16in. barrel. One of my top favorites to shoot. In retrospect, the metric is the way to go, parts availability and options are much greater. If I ever buy another, metric it will be.

9. matefrio

matefrio ΔΕΞΑΙ TGT Supporter

Get one, you'll fal in love with it. They are expensive to feed.

10. Ready.Fire.Aim

Ready.Fire.Aim Active Member

I have four FALs, as said before they are very soft shooters. Of the four, the para folding stock is the worst to shoot.

I have a HK91, it will beat you up and isn't fun to shoot. I am building ny first AR10 to compare them to.