• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Anyone been there? How was your stay? Experiences? Just curious about living conditions, the culture and environment out there. How hard/easy was it to adapt to the new environments and society?

I know it's hot as hell, but I think most of us are prepared for extreme heat conditions since we're mostly all from Texas... :D
    Guns International

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    I was deployed there in 2005...overall, i'd say great place. Pretty westernized. Lots of brits, australians, TONS of deals on electronics, quality suits, etc. Dubai has a great golf course, professional circuit. The beach is great with tons of site-seeing opportunity. Abu Dhabi is close by (the capital) and has great malls, and again very western. They do however frown upon public intoxication VERY much, so consume in moderation or in private. It's a very wealthy country so you see BMW's, Mercedes, Rolls like we see Honda's here.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Thanks for the replies fellas. No just seriously thinking about pursuing a job out there in IT. From alot of the stories I've heard from others who have worked out there that it was a great opportunity and they want to go back.

Cobra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    CANADA
    Thanks for the replies fellas. No just seriously thinking about pursuing a job out there in IT. From alot of the stories I've heard from others who have worked out there that it was a great opportunity and they want to go back.

My sister and her husband worked there for ten years with Emirates Airlines, both retired last year and have returned to Vancouver. They still go there to see friends and to vacation. Despite misconceptions in the West, Dubai is quite sophisticated and has first rate doctors and medical facilities. They have modern malls and my sister even had a branch of her Canadian bank to use there. Despite what you may have heard, Western food is readily available and they easily celebrated Christmas and Thanksgiving there.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Thanks guys. From what I hear from everyone, it's a great place to visit, vacation, and even work. I'm looking to stay out there for about 2-3 years work my butt off, then come back and relax a bit. Luckily, I'm still young enough to make this type of decision, no kids yet, but have a wife to be. Not saying that I'm not doing well here, but if the opportunity is there to help out myself and my family, then why not.

The sacrifice of one for the well being of many others.

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    Dubai was an awesome place to visit. Probably been there 7 or 8 times for about 4 days each time. Very westernized, most people speak English and the food was amazing. Just be careful about items that have two price tags...usually once price tag is for the locals and the other is for tourists. They say Dubai is the Las Vegas of the middle east. Lots and lots of money there, and from what I understand, housing is through the roof as far as prices.

If only we could get the cab drivers to wear deoderant...:eek:

Great golf course, good mass transit system, awesome hotels, amazing food, and deals on electronics or having a suit tailored are second to none. Amazing deals on gold, check out the Gold Souk...It looks like something out of Aladdin.

Just make sure you are getting paid enough to compensate the inflated price of housing. It's an amazing vacation place, but I honestly couldn't say for sure if I would want to live anywhere that does not have the equivalent of the 2nd amendment.

Top Bottom