• ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    New Brooder.

Reflectix 50-sq ft Reflective Roll Insulation (24-in W x 25-ft L)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-50-sq-ft-Reflective-Roll-Insulation-24-in-W-x-25-ft-L/3011904

jbThho.jpg

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    New Brooder.

Reflectix 50-sq ft Reflective Roll Insulation (24-in W x 25-ft L)
    That's a good idea, but I'd be a little worried about leakage from the bottom. I use big storage tubs in order to contain any spills. Stock tanks also work great, but obviously more expensive.

I'd listen to Dan.
    forwarding to my wife...

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I'm in an HOA of 1-3 acre lots. if I buy 100 ducks and let them lose in the neighborhood where are they likely to lay their eggs? Will they all migrate to one common area or will they group out with one possible group ending up on my land?

No live stock is allowed here so a chicken coupe type setup isn't going to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I'm in an HOA of 1-3 acre lots. if I buy 100 ducks and let them lose in the neighborhood where are they likely to lay their eggs? Will they all migrate to one common area or will they group out with one possible group ending up on my land?

No live stock is allowed here so a chicken coupe type setup isn't going to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a neighborhood pond? If you setup some duck houses there they'd stick close by. Too many variables for every other question you asked.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If you buy ducklings and turn them loose they're not likely to survive. They require a few weeks of being "mothered" before they are able to survive on their own. If you raise them, they'll think you're part of the flock and will hang around you, but they will stay wherever there is food and water. If you feed them in your yard, you'll likely have them hanging out on your porch waiting for you to come outside and feed them. Mine will tap on the window when they want something :laughing:

Like matefrio says you can build nest houses that will encourage them to lay in one spot, but realistically they just lay wherever they damn well feel like it. Everyday is an egg hunt.

I'd be worried that the HOA would determine they are a nuisance and have them removed.

Last edited:

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    They are close to being ready to be on their own in a coop outside.
    I guarantee the smell and the mess they make will push them out of your home.

At this age, they need very little space but you will need to consider that each duck will eventually need at least around 3 sqft to be comfortable. Size the coop accordingly.

Once their fuzzy fur drops off and first feathers start coming in, they will molt them within a month thus if you don't have a rake you better get one... with 10 ducks you will have a mess on your hands if not maintained daily, and if it gets windy everyone will know you have ducks.

The subsequent set of feathers from here on will be their flight feathers, thus you will need to look into clipping each duck with a set of scissors. There are good video's on youtube on how to do this.

Avoid the blood feather(s), and it's easy to do.
    Get prepared for eggs at this point. The hens will lay 1 to 2 eggs per day depending on diet and the amount of shell in their food.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The subsequent set of feathers from here on will be their flight feathers, thus you will need to look into clipping each duck with a set of scissors.
    That's not necessary with the Khaki Campbells he has, unless he's trying to keep them contained with a 2ft tall fence. They can only get off the ground three or four feet and then only fly for about 10ft. They will however climb if they really want to. I've never had a female try to climb a fence, but my feisty drake will climb right over if he sees something he wants to fight or ****.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Now I need to make a tough decision on portable duck housing.
    They don't need much. Once they are adults they are very weather proof and will prefer to stand in freezing rain than go in their house. There's some old idiom about weather being fit for a duck...

What will make it easier on you is to build a couple nesting houses. I've made a couple that are 30"x18"x18". A floor of 1/4" hardware cloth about 2" above the ground and a nice bed of hay. They lay in it pretty reliably. I had intended to bolt on some lawn mower wheels to the sides to make them easy to move around, but it's easy enough to just drag it around :laughing:

Top Bottom