• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Wanted a dueling tree but didn't want to pay $600 for one this size. I bought the paddles from Amazon (6-5" for $45) 2"X 2" X 1/4" angle ($35) and with paint it all came to about $100 + time welding and painting. Kinda proud of it.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    0705171709 (1).jpg

Stands 5'3'' high.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Going to try it out later when it cools a bit, we have plans to build a better range on the property, right now we just have the berm and I noticed the top paddle is near the top. Took me about 4 hours to build and paint.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The base I made to be rock solid and with enough weight to insure no movement of the tree itself, unlike what seemed to be a bit flimsy in the fully built models I looked through and at a much higher price. If you have the means to build one I highly recommend it.

Oh yes, I tried it out and I am very happy with it.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    0707171040.jpg 0707171031a.jpg
    Since I didn't have a truck to haul the dueling tree I decided to bolt the tree to the base. If you look closely you can see a smaller piece of angle that I rounded to fit tightly inside the other angle and flattened the other side to center punch and drill, it also makes it easier to carry. I have shot at it more then it seems, that's called the magic of paint.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Also, when I decided to buy the kit from Amazon (AR500 paddles and pipe pieces), I watched many videos of not only DIY but also the full trees and how they performed. What I didn't like from many of them was the base allowed for movement when being shot. I watched one video of a $600 model where two people were competing, whomever got the paddles to one side wins. They had 3 paddles on one side and 3 on the other and with the first shot all the paddles moved to one side. Therefore I decided I didn't want that type of movement. I suppose you could use a longer angle for the tree and put it in concrete at a 15 degree angle, but I also wanted the ability to move it.

With two days of shooting I can honestly say, the only paddles that move on mine are the ones that get shot.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have the set of paddles to do this but haven't settled on a base yet. More details on yours would be helpful.
    There I had a little help. Originally I had planned on using 2- 3' pieces of the 2" X 2" X 1/4" angles and a 2' piece of 6" channel, but when buying the metal from a local steelyard I found that they only sell in 20' lengths. I bought the angle (approx. $35) but decided to check our (college where I work) scrap bin. I instead used a box that was a project made by students in GTAW class. The box is 24" X 5" X 3" deep out of 1/4" steel. I donated the 8' of angle I had left over to the college.

Top Bottom