• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    houston
    I saw these at the NRA show in Houston a few months back. Like a Lamborghini of guns. You tube reviews show reliable. Extremely sexy pistols and affordable. They had a 10mm eaa at gander mt. Think it was an intro level, maybe the witness.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    The guns are high quality for the price (I have a 10mm Witness) but the magazines are the weak spot. You have to go through a bunch to find the reliable ones. Customer service is a PIA on the magazines. Got almost a dozen between those 10 rounders made during the ban and the higher capacity ones, 3 or 4 work reliably. Gun in the back of the safe and gets very little daylight now. Don't have the time or patience to work through the magazines and figure out what on each one needs tweaking. Got to many other pistols that work that seem to take it's place in the range bag.

https://www.google.com/search?q=EAA...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I love mine. What did you want to know about them?

Here's a few points.

• Magazines - All my magazines have been reliable from the get-go, without tweaking. They're darn expensive, though.
    • Ammo - I haven't tried light-load target wadcutters and Hornady Critical Defense does NOT work in my gun. Everything else feeds, fires, and extracts with perfect function.
    • Convertibility - One thing I love about these guns is that you can get 9mm, .38 Super, 10MM, .40, and .45ACP conversion kits. Depending on the model, .22 conversion kits are also available. The full-length frame models do NOT accept the .22 conversion kits available from EAA, so that's something to keep in mind. Kits for that model are available in Italy but are not imported to the USA.
    • Accuracy - For an off-the-shelf, non-custom gun, it provided the best accuracy I've experienced in a .45. To do better, you'd have to spring for a Pardini or a semi-custom 1911. My personal opinion is that if you're going to go that far in a search for accuracy, you might as well get a full-custom 1911 from a good bullseye pistolsmith.
    • Variants - I've seen a non-catalog long-slide variant of the Witness Elite Limited with a lightened slide. If I had known it existed, I would have sought it out instead of what I actually bought.
    Despite that last bullet, I really love my pistol.

Here's mine:

Witness_zpsa5e5481f.jpg

And here's the one I would have preferred if I had known it existed:

DSC_0074_zpsffd5cf21.jpg

stanjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    South Austin
    Beautiful gun! Thanks for the response. I really just wanted to hear from someone first hand about what they thought of the gun. Sounds like you like it and that it has been reliable for you. I have read that the accuracy is great. It looks like the slide sits pretty low in the frame, so I assume recoil is very managable?
    I have a Desert Eagle .50 that was fun for a while, but serves no real purpose for me outside of the "fun factor"...I may try to trade for one of these Elite Limited pistols. Thanks! I like that long slide version too...I have seen that they make a "Elite Limited Hunter" that is a long slide too.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...It looks like the slide sits pretty low in the frame, so I assume recoil is very managable? ... I like that long slide version too...I have seen that they make a "Elite Limited Hunter" that is a long slide too.
    I'm not sure the low-ish bore axis helps with the recoil. Recoil on this pistol is going to be mild no matter what because it's so dang heavy. ;)

As for the Hunter variant, it doesnt have the slide cuts of the long-slide they had on exhibit at the NRA annual meeting where I took that last picture.

GreySmoke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    Lavon
    I have the next model down - the Elite Stock in .45 it is a tack driver but I don't shoot it much....I am willing to part with it if anyone is interested.
    1336489947005.jpg
    RangeRpt310_Stock45.jpg

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm not sure the low-ish bore axis helps with the recoil. Recoil on this pistol is going to be mild no matter what because it's so dang heavy. ;)

As for the Hunter variant, it doesnt have the slide cuts of the long-slide they had on exhibit at the NRA annual meeting where I took that last picture.

Bore axis alone won't really do anything to minimize recoil, but rather to allow easier control over minimizing muzzle flip.

stanjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    South Austin
    Bore axis alone won't really do anything to minimize recoil, but rather to allow easier control over minimizing muzzle flip.

Yes...I guess this is what I actually should have said. I had a steyr m9 that had a low bore axis and had very little muzzle flip, making that recoil more manageable. That was a great gun, but it rattled really badly when you inserted a full magazine. Drove me nuts.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have the next model down - the Elite Stock in .45 ...
    The great thing about that model is that, like all the models without full length dust covers, you can get a .22 conversion for it. Sometimes I wish I had bought the Elite Limited Pro for that reason. EAA really needs to either catalog a short-dust-cover single action with better sights than the Elite Match (which they advertise as "a pistol to do a little plinking") or import the .22 conversion kits for the models with full length dust covers.

I know if they imported the kit for my pistol, I'd snatch one up in a heartbeat.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I have a Turkish CZ clone myself (Sarsilmaz b6p) and its built VERY close to the Witnesses (pretty sure they actually make the frames for the polymer Witnesses). They fit great in the hand and I mean GREAT. From what I've heard the Witness triggers are every bit as good as mine is, in SA just a touch of takeup very little creep and a very clean 5lb break with a tad more overtravel than I'd like but still hardly affects my shooting (some of the witnesses come with an overtravel adjustment too). Double action is fairly long and heavy (11 lb) but its consistent with a clean break and I can still hit a target on the first shot in a shooting stage. As others have stated it has a lower bore axis AND a really high frame with the slide riding inside of it so you can get your thumbs way the hell up there and really tame the muzzle flip significantly.

All in all the basic CZ design no matter how its copied seems to almost always make an excellent and usually accurate gun.

Top Bottom