• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've had a set of Howard Leight Impact Sport's for a few years. The ear cups are getting too hard to seal very well around my glasses. Can anyone recommend any of the gel replacements that are out there?
    Lynx Defense

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Tagged because this is potentially a very informative thread.

I actually bought my ear pro based partially on the availability of replacement pads.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Alright. Review time. The ear cups on my ear pro were the same consistency as that lady on the beach's skin in the funny picture thread. Really hard, stiff, and wouldn't seal around temples of glasses at all. So, I took y'alls suggestion and got some of the noise fighters gel cups.

They come with no installation instructions, so I went to their website. On the Howard Leights, the ear cups are held in with little tabs. I used the prying tool of choice, a flat blade screwdriver to pop them off. There was ear goo, sweat, gunpowder residue and probably dog slobber on the exposed surface which I cleaned off with alcohol. (Isopropyl, not ethanol...didn't want to waste that)

the Noise Fighters (NFs) have an adhesive backing that they say can be applied and removed many times. There is a slightly cut out section on one end that faces upwards to give temple clearance. They do not have a stuff plastic backup ring that snaps into place like the OEM ones. After fiddling with them a bit to get them under the original mounting tabs - good to go.

The results are that they are fantastic. They do an infinitely better job of sealing around your ears with ear pro on. My gut feel is that the noise rating is improved over the originals. I like the Howard Leights because they're reasonably low profile and aren't as bad as some when shooting long guns. I might still wear in the ear plugs with rifles, but on social shoots, where you'd like to hear other people, this seems like a good compromise.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    69679209623b7b61529fe2137d89c7dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 69679209623b7b61529fe2137d89c7dd.jpg
      69679209623b7b61529fe2137d89c7dd.jpg
      77.9 KB · Views: 279

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    The results are that they are fantastic. They do an infinitely better job of sealing around your ears with ear pro on. My gut feel is that the noise rating is improved over the originals. I like the Howard Leights because they're reasonably low profile and aren't as bad as some when shooting long guns. I might still wear in the ear plugs with rifles, but on social shoots, where you'd like to hear other people, this seems like a good compromise.
    Glad you like them. I bought mine in the original Go Fund Me and share your thoughts which is why I recommended them.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I installed the Noise Fighters on my Walker Xcel electronic muffs. I'd say they work pretty well. Unfortunately, I have no way of comparing them to the OEM cups because I replaced them before my first range trip with them. Compared to my Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs tho, they seem to seal a little better and are slightly more comfortable.

They have slots for glasses frames, but I really can't get them to work perfectly with mine.

Top Bottom