• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Which pair do you have? I noticed you said you liked some wally world ones. Anyone know if those impact sport ones tundra recommended are stereo? I looked at the package at the store and im pretty sure they said they were. Ill google em up when i get a chance if it aimt amswered here first.
    Guns International

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Vibration conducted via bone from the skull can accomplish the same thing. I spent way too many years shooting pistol silhouette and I know, from unfortunate experience, that lighting off a full-load shortened .284 Win, full-length .308 Win or 6mm BR out of a 14-inch barrel with a brake will rattle your bones and those of every person within a surprisingly large radius.

Anybody remember when Doug Koenig wore a full-face motorcycle helmet while shooting The Masters long range stage? It's been more than 10 years ago but it seemed eminently sensible to me at the time.

When the sounds are loud enough you can't have too much ear protection.

I was actually going to mention something similar. Even a face shield that you would use for grinding can make a significant difference. A day of shooting in confined spaces can really do a number on you from vibrations alone.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Which pair do you have? I noticed you said you liked some wally world ones. Anyone know if those impact sport ones tundra recommended are stereo? I looked at the package at the store and im pretty sure they said they were. Ill google em up when i get a chance if it aimt amswered here first.
    They are stereo.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Howard Leights can't be beat, if you ask me. The price is just too good. If you get them from Academy, you can return them if they're not for you.

You won't, though. You'll get on here and say, "Holy crap, why did I wait so long to buy these!"

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I used to keep a pair next to my bed with the hopes I'd have enough time to put them on in a "Dynamic critical incident"...
    My sister still does that. There have been a number of times when she's heard a noise outside, put on her muffs, and stepped outside. With the muffs turned on, she can instantly tell that it's just a raccoon (or whatever it was) and she goes back to bed without worry. If she didn't have them, it would be tougher for her to deal with things that go bump in the night.

As has been said, once folks try a good pair of stereo electronic muffs they'll wonder why they ever went without.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have no idea what the brand is. There are only two types in the sporting goods section- regular and electronic.

Only brand my local Wally World carries is Winchester. They are junk compared to the Leights but still a world better than conventional muffs.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Another with Howard Lieght electronic muffs, but I tend to use the ZEM plugs most often because muffs interfere with cheek weld and I don't like things on my head.

9-10-11_r12_c5.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I will look again next time in there and see if they have added more brands.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The first pair, Howard Leight R-01526 Impact only had an NRR 22 rating which seems pretty low. Getting a good seal makes all of the difference. Whichever pair you select make sure you maintain the seal when you are in a firing position. Some of the foam is more compliant than others. The thin shooting electronic muffs usually provide a poor seal.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The first pair, Howard Leight R-01526 Impact only had an NRR 22 rating which seems pretty low. Getting a good seal makes all of the difference. Whichever pair you select make sure you maintain the seal when you are in a firing position. Some of the foam is more compliant than others. The thin shooting electronic muffs usually provide a poor seal.

The HL's I posted (post #32) have a NRR of 30....

Top Bottom