• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Going to do a bit of cooking today, yesterday about 3pm, applied my dry rub to LARGE venison neck roast. Laid all of my wood into the firebox in preparation for an early start this Saturday morning. 7:30 am, coals are ready and the roast is on the rack with some hickory chunks I soaked over night for some smoky goodness.

In a little bit, I will began to rub in the dry cure for some Maple buckboard bacon, by Saturday 11/28/20 it should be ready to smoke. Our local Brookshire Bros. had pork shoulders for a $1/lb. , I just had to try this! Big plans in the meat eating world. If this works out, future plans are for smoking up some pork belly and pork loin, you cannot go wrong with some good bacon. I love bacon, but damn the grocery store wants an arm, leg and testicle for it at the store and it is not very good bacon.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I found a "fresh" picnic ham in the freezer and I decided to brine it as well, I thought while I had everything out and in use might as well do this also.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    The venison roast turned out to be the best I have ever eaten. It was hickory smoked from 7:30 am to 12 pm at 225 degrees F to 250 degrees F, then wrapped in a foil with 12 ounces of beer and stayed on the pit/smoker at about 275F until around 3:30pm. This neck was very lean and pretty large, it was from a 10 point harvested last Saturday and kept on ice/changed daily. There was no gamey taste whatsoever. Salt, coarse ground pepper, smoked paprika, oregano, chili, garlic and onion powder and 7 fresh chilipetin (birds eye peppers) crushed and rubbed in. I guess it was not really a dry rub, I basted the roast with yellow mustard before applying the rub.

Top Bottom