• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Recently the MG segment of NFA has really peaked my interest. Any suggestions on what would be the fastest legal way to aquire them ?

1. Go through regular tax transfer process

or

2. Get an FFL/SOT (since I own a business and have physical location to show for)

or

3. Find someone who know Eric Holder and hook up a bro (j/k) he ain't selling shit to no merican :cowboy:
    Military Camp

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Do you want to be in the firearms business? Or just pick something up for your collection? Are you concerned about resale value?

If you got tons of money to throw away and really want to be in the business and don't mind giving away for next to nothing all the post-1986 guns you build/buy when you're done playing with them then I suppose a manufacturer's SOT/FFL would be the way to go. The Class 3 SOT sounds like a pain because you need someone in LE to write demo letters before you can even buy any post-1986 MGs (except when another SOT goes out of business and has a fire sale). You can keep pre-1986 dealer samples if you give up your FFL but they fetch nowhere near the prices of transferable guns, and you can only sell them to other dealers.

If you just want to get a few guns to mess with, stash away and watch the value go sky high then transferable MG through the normal process is the way.

Tony K on one of the other NFA boards summed it up nicely, a FFL/SOT + ITAR will cost you as much as a transferable MG after a few years and if you ever give it up you won't have much to show for it other than pre-1986 samples that you can only sell to other dealers. If you want all the groovy stuff like post-1986 P90s or Glock 18Cs or whatever then there's no choice but to go FFL/SOT and pay up. Is it worth it for you?

If you PM Renegade he'll probably give you more info on the pros & cons of getting a FFL/SOT, but that's most of it in a nutsack.

Last edited:

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    This would be just fun, so no I am neither looking at it as an investment or looking to make money. But as you said I am looking at some certain new stuff, and $500/year in SOT is not much compared to what the toys costs.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    If you don't mind the paperwork pain the ass, the 07/SOT route lets you buy and build to your heart's (and wallet's) content.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    1) Buy enough acreage in an unincorporated part of the county to shoot the gun on.

2) Incorporate said acreage into new town. (Kusaiville comes to mind)

3) Vote yourself in as mayor and police chief.

4) Apply to DHS/FEMA for emergency funds to prepare for terrorist attack and/or riots in case of natural disaster in your city.

5) Use money to buy all the MGs you want that don't get donated. (Don't forget you need a free MRAP also.)

:banana:

Last edited:

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    1) Buy enough acreage in an unincorporated part of the county to shoot the gun on.

4) Apply to DHA/FEMA for emergency funds to prepare for terrorist attack and/or riots in case of natural disaster in your city.

5) Use money to buy all the MGs you want that don't get donated. (Don't forget you need a free MRAP also.)

i like that idea :thumbup:

Sent from the black hole

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

4) Apply to DHS/FEMA for emergency funds to prepare for terrorist attack and/or riots in case of natural disaster in your city.

HA!

m

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

We sure do have some smartass personnel here. Gotta see how is this idea feasible

I'm under the impression that this practice got stopped, but wasn't there a situation a few years ago where some guys found a defunct Municipal Utility District that was created as a part of a large, failed development and did something like this? They acquired the development, put themselves on paper as LEOs attached to the MUD, then acquired machine guns just like any LEA can.

I'm looking but not finding references. Perhaps it was just an urban legend but I could have sworn I heard it somewhere...

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I'm under the impression that this practice got stopped, but wasn't there a situation a few years ago where some guys found a defunct Municipal Utility District that was created as a part of a large, failed development and did something like this? They acquired the development, put themselves on paper as LEOs attached to the MUD, then acquired machine guns just like any LEA can.

I'm looking but not finding references. Perhaps it was just an urban legend but I could have sworn I heard it somewhere...

Ben, I remember that also. But like you could not find the reference to it, so I posted what I did in half jest.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    1. Trust
    2. Subguns.cm and Sturm

FFL/SO: are you wanting to be a for profit firearms dealer? Do you want the ATF to vist you each year ad inspect your boos and inventory? If not, then tis is nt the way to go about it!

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    I don't know about the buying a municipality but in Texas, according to a local Sheriff who is a friend, in order to be a licensed LEO in Texas, you must take the classes (30hrs if I remember correctly)and pass a State test.

Y2bad4U

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    polk County
    I don't know about the buying a municipality but in Texas, according to a local Sheriff who is a friend, in order to be a licensed LEO in Texas, you must take the classes (30hrs if I remember correctly)and pass a State test.
    A lot more hours than that, like 800 plus. SC said it best, thats your two options.

Top Bottom