• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Got a reminder from Gexa that my electric plan is up for renewal soon. I tried Gexa with a 15 month bracket plan that gave me a $75 credit if my monthly usage was between 1000 and 2000. Wasnt bad but in January I hit 2300 and got hit with $320 bill compared to my normal high usage bills of $190.

Just checked on Power to Choose and, with my usage history and Oncor as the power distributor, the best I can do right now is 9.6 cents over a 15 month contract. Using my monthly usage numbers from last year it looks like I would save a chunk of change.

My question is, given this is March 25, does it make sense to wait and check weekly for a better rate or is everything likely to remain stable (not likely in my mind, but I am still green in this energy market). I used a broker the first year I was here but tge $25 monthly fee did not seem worth it. Anyone else see this differently?
    ARJ Defense ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    It's all a gamble on the long term contracts.
    It's an upside down market. Oil and gas have hit rock bottom.
    Coal is the most expensive fuel now. I never ever thought that could happen. I've been peddling electricity for 40 years.
    I can't guess what's gonna happen in a few months.
    Throw a dart, close your eyes and poke, do a chicken drop.
    Probably better than any "expert advice" right now.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Got a reminder from Gexa that my electric plan is up for renewal soon. I tried Gexa with a 15 month bracket plan that gave me a $75 credit if my monthly usage was between 1000 and 2000. Wasnt bad but in January I hit 2300 and got hit with $320 bill compared to my normal high usage bills of $190.

Just checked on Power to Choose and, with my usage history and Oncor as the power distributor, the best I can do right now is 9.6 cents over a 15 month contract. Using my monthly usage numbers from last year it looks like I would save a chunk of change.

My question is, given this is March 25, does it make sense to wait and check weekly for a better rate or is everything likely to remain stable (not likely in my mind, but I am still green in this energy market). I used a broker the first year I was here but tge $25 monthly fee did not seem worth it. Anyone else see this differently?
    Go for it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm on an electric coop. Only provider in this rural area.

Our monthly electric bill is, or seems reasonable, given the size of the house, that it's all electric, and what we use.

But, I also took long term steps when the house was built, so it would be energy efficient for years to come.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    @gdr_11 when I moved to Texas, my real estate agent recommended Energy Ogre. It appeared to be a great concept and I've come to know a few people who use it (and like it). Unfortunately, I don't qualify for its use due to the area in which I live has no option to choose a provider.

Might want to check it out for your area?

Regards,

S619

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    1. Yep, all electric home and, at our age we can take the heat better than the cold. So, our winter bills are always higher than the summer.

2. Vaquero's comments underlie my post. What is likely to happen with rates depends on fuel costs and demand. In my former residence I could look at natural gas as the indicator because that's where the electricity came from. Not sure about here.

3. I will check out Energy Ogre.

Maybe I will look for a 6 month term to avoid getting pencil whipped if tbe rates drop in tge near future

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I only have the option of coop electricity, or a generator! I do keep a good supply of propane on hand for emergency heating in the winter and cooking in the summer.
    With all these tall pines we've gone without electricity for a couple of days throughout the years due to storms.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I'm on an electric coop. Only provider in this rural area.

Our monthly electric bill is, or seems reasonable, given the size of the house, that it's all electric, and what we use.

But, I also took long term steps when the house was built, so it would be energy efficient for years to come.

Is that Trinity Valley?
    Seems to be the only choice ill have once we make the move.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I have TVEC, you will like it. Last month used 2619 KWH and the total bill was $275 which includes a charge of $10 for a yard light and $20 service charge. Overall 10.5 cents/KWH. They are very responsive to outages, which happen very seldom, and are active in the community.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Go with the short term contracts. I've been doing that for several years and always end up with a better rate except one time when I thought I got a great deal on a 24 mo rate (at least compared to all the other options at the time. 12 months later it was cheaper to pay the cancellation fee and switch to another short term plan.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    @gdr_11 when I moved to Texas, my real estate agent recommended Energy Ogre. It appeared to be a great concept and I've come to know a few people who use it (and like it). Unfortunately, I don't qualify for its use due to the area in which I live has no option to choose a provider.

Might want to check it out for your area?

Regards,

S619

Second Energy Ogre. Used to do my own, wading through all the prices and plans. Finally went with them on several referrals from people I know and trust and have been happy with them. They save me far more than the $10 a month they charge and one less thing I have to worry about taking care of every few months.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    One of the advantages of a co-op is that you are not just a customer, but a member and owner.

As far as I know, we have no other options for electric power in our area. So there's no way to really judge or compare prices.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Well, I ended up calling my provider and told them I was going to change. They immediately started maneuvering and I ended up with an extension of the plan I have now but with the effective rate reduced by 4 cents down to 6.9 and a $100 monthly credit to my bill when the usage is between 1000KwH and 2000KwH. I am satisfied because I did okay last year except the month of January when I busted the 2000 mark and went to 2300. This way, I am saving some extra money each month which will offset the hit during the coldest months.

Top Bottom