• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I appreciate all of the advice given on here so far. I grew up in the city and really don't know anything about owning land other than knowing I wanted to have my own property. But then again there has been a lot of stuff in life that I knew nothing about and they eventually became major parts of my life.

I'll be eligible to retire from police work in one more year, I'll be 42. That doesn't mean I'll actually retire but I'm looking at options if I wanted to go into another line of work. My father in law owns an excavation company out of Dodge City, KS. I'm starting to take time off my primary job and spend my vacation and comp time working for him learning to run heavy equipment and apprenticing under him while he's still walking this Earth. As long as I've been with my wife I've never seen his business slow down, so there must be something to moving dirt. Thats part of the reason I'm looking at purchasing my own equipment instead of hiring someone else to do it. I figure worst case scenario I can do the work and sell the equipment and get most of my money back. Best case scenario, I might learn a new skill that can make me some money and I can retire from cop work a bit sooner.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Guns International

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I appreciate all of the advice given on here so far. I grew up in the city and really don't know anything about owning land other than knowing I wanted to have my own property. But then again there has been a lot of stuff in life that I knew nothing about and they eventually became major parts of my life.

I'll be eligible to retire from police work in one more year, I'll be 42. That doesn't mean I'll actually retire but I'm looking at options if I wanted to go into another line of work. My father in law owns an excavation company out of Dodge City, KS. I'm starting to take time off my primary job and spend my vacation and comp time working for him learning to run heavy equipment and apprenticing under him while he's still walking this Earth. As long as I've been with my wife I've never seen his business slow down, so there must be something to moving dirt. Thats part of the reason I'm looking at purchasing my own equipment instead of hiring someone else to do it. I figure worst case scenario I can do the work and sell the equipment and get most of my money back. Best case scenario, I might learn a new skill that can make me some money and I can retire from cop work a bit sooner.

A heavy equipment operator that is experienced, can make really good money.

Owning heavy equipment is very expensive. Repairs, maintenance, parts, supplies, and insurance are very expensive. And as @EZ-E, there is moving that equipment to where the work is, plus the repairs and maintenance, parts and insurance on the trucks and trailers used to move the heavy equipment.

Just some points to consider.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    My guess is if his FIL is in the business then he has been filled in with the details!

Not necessarily. Many people may understand the high initial cost of the equipment, but not fully realize the daily, weekly, or monthly expenses associated with running the equipment. Have seen a few people go under because they failed to factor in those costs into their planning of buying equipment, and to factor those costs into what they charged to run that equipment.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Not necessarily. Many people may understand the high initial cost of the equipment, but not fully realize the daily, weekly, or monthly expenses associated with running the equipment. Have seen a few people go under because they failed to factor in those costs into their planning of buying equipment, and to factor those costs into what they charged to run that equipment.
    Oh, I'm well aware that owning and maintaining heavy equipment isn't cheap. But you have to start somewhere. Hopefully I can build slow and pick up used deals as I find them. A CDL is a necessity and thats on my to do list as well.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    It is only my opinion but wouldn't it be more cost effective to have what you want done a little at a time by some local. Your fil will have an idea what it should cost. And you don't have to worry about the methnecks stealing the equipment. Don't worry about it, somehow it will all come in place.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    If you plan on helping the FIL out in the off time, a CDL would come in handy. Depending on how big the equipment is, it has to get to the site somehow.
    Yep. Just got here last night. A CDL would be handy. The fuel bills are crazy. 60 gallons of diesel in the truck and 100 in the excavator. Thats just to get the day started.

fee6facad22b3b016fbb59c24aebd032.jpg

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Yep. Just got here last night. A CDL would be handy. The fuel bills are crazy. 60 gallons of diesel in the truck and 100 in the excavator. Thats just to get the day started.

Yes sir, the bigger the more expensive. Kinda like guns & ammo...lol

Nice set up he's got.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

I don't know the cost of diesel where you are, but it's at about $2.90 a gallon in our area right now. I suspect it's not going to get cheaper anytime soon either.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Are you putting red diesel in the cat? At that’ll save some tax dollars.
    Yeah it was off road diesel. I didn't look at the prices.

He has 4 different projects going on at once now. I'm helping him with a drainage ditch today. 6 years of college and now I'm digging ditches. . I'm enjoying it, hard work never killed anybody.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

He has 4 different projects going on at once now. I'm helping him with a drainage ditch today. 6 years of college and now I'm digging ditches. . I'm enjoying it, hard work never killed anybody.

Sent from my SM-G965U using
    Hard work does kill people everyday! Then there’s the long term effects on the body. Hopefully the 6 years of college were not wasted on Marxist commie bullshit, and can be applied to running an earthmoving company.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where

Hell, i heard the other week, a guy was looking for a dozer operator... was gunna pay $32 an hour. I know several college grads not making that kind of money.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hell, i heard the other week, a guy was looking for a dozer operator... was gunna pay $32 an hour. I know several college grads not making that kind of money.
    My dad use to say there were only 3 thing’s needing a college education, doctors, engineers & lawyers!

Going into a career field of the trades, and learning that trade well, you start earning money much faster than most college graduates because of less amount of money spent on getting an education.

And there are many trades where a person might never make as much money as doctor or lawyer, but they can still make a very comfortable living. Heavy equipment operators, electricians, plumbers, construction workers, mechanics, ect.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Nothing wrong with a trade. However most high school kids are indoctrinated that you NEED a college edumacation. My folks told me to go to college or GTFO. I chose college as it was the easier path at the time. No regrets, although when I started out I was making about 40% less the friends that went to a trade. However over time I caught up and went way past their earnings, over 3X. If you desire big money with a 4 year college degree, get a degree in engineering.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Nothing wrong with a trade. However most high school kids are indoctrinated that you NEED a college edumacation. My folks told me to go to college or GTFO. I chose college as it was the easier path at the time. No regrets, although when I started out I was making about 40% less the friends that went to a trade. However over time I caught up and went way past their earnings, over 3X. If you desire big money with a 4 year college degree, get a degree in engineering.

Nothing wrong with getting a college education and a degree is necessary for some professions. But not everyone is college material. Not everyone can survive college. Some end up getting a degree that is essentially useless. And IMO, too many in high school are being pushed towards college, even when college might not be suitable for them. It leads to setting them up to fail, and to undertake expenses that they can't afford, and will have a high load of debt even IF they finish college with a degree.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Nothing wrong with getting a college education and a degree is necessary for some professions. But not everyone is college material. Not everyone can survive college. Some end up getting a degree that is essentially useless. And IMO, too many in high school are being pushed towards college, even when college might not be suitable for them. It leads to setting them up to fail, and to undertake expenses that they can't afford, and will have a high load of debt even IF they finish college with a degree.
    Agreed. It pisses me off that so many of these "college grads" have useless degrees in gender study, female empowerment, etc. I remember when going to college I worked construction at the same company as my dad. (he got me the job) Anyway one day the supervisor comes to me and this other guy. Dig a ditch 3 ft. deep as we cannot get machinery in there. Eddie you are in charge. The other guy was around 28 years old and had a masters in philosophy. Here he was digging a ditch and taking orders from a 19 year old kid. Convinced me then and there a lot of college BS is just that.

Top Bottom