East Texas land purchase

Texasjack

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jan 3, 2010
Occupied Texas
My retirement dream was a place to shoot and hunt. Life has a way of crapping all over dreams!

I planned on working until I was 63-65. ......
Oh, man, don't you know it. What's the old saying? Men make plans and God laughs. A good friend and I used to dream up what we'd do as we got older and how we'd have a place to take our son's and such. A few serious diseases and a divorce and working for companies run into the ground by idiots took it's toll. It wasn't for a lack of trying.

GoPappy

Well-Known
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Good plan on the skid steer, although a compact track loader is a better idea.

If you have feral hogs on your property you’ll need the skid steer or CTL to repair all the damage they’ll do to the land. Trust me when I tell you it’s a never ending battle.

Axxe55

Just a man, and his dogs.
Dec 15, 2019
somewhere.....East Texas.
Good plan on the skid steer, although a compact track loader is a better idea.

If you have feral hogs on your property you’ll need the skid steer or CTL to repair all the damage they’ll do to the land. Trust me when I tell you it’s a never ending battle.
An alternative method is to keep them out in the first place. The same fencing that is used to keep hogs in, can keep hogs out as well.

We are using T-posts, six strands of barbed wire and 5 foot hog wire on all of our outside perimeter fencing. Once you start keeping the hogs out, and then either trapping or killing any that happen to be inside the fencing, the problem will end pretty quickly.

It won't keep every hog out, but it will drastically reduce the number of them in your pastures, or on your land from doing damage.

andre3k

TGT Supporter
Aug 8, 2008
Houston
Seller accepted my offer. I asked for the stands and feeders. I mainly wanted the stands knowing how high lumber prices are now. Seller is taking everything and I really can't blame him. It was worth a shot. Closings are running 45 days out, lets hope this deal doesn't bust before then.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
Jan 20, 2021
Cypress, TX
Seller accepted my offer. I asked for the stands and feeders. I mainly wanted the stands knowing how high lumber prices are now. Seller is taking everything and I really can't blame him. It was worth a shot. Closings are running 45 days out, lets hope this deal doesn't bust before then.
Outfit off 290 at Hegar road probably has most affordable feeders and stands in the area. Just a guess as I do not have deer hunting opportunity.

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
Congrats.

Catherine1

May 10, 2021
Montana
Best wishes to you!

Cate

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Mar 24, 2021
Texas
Lumber company comes and looks at your place and makes an offer. You accept and they go to work. There will be a logging road.

Hogs will be there. I never saw a deer while I was in that area.

You didn't ask, but I'm offering this.
I've never been to an area more racist than Jasper. I worked restoring power after hurricane Rita. '05.
And a lot of family trees don't fork.

Good luck.
I've lived in Texas my whole life and have been to Houston once back in '15 for high school football championships and it was like I was in another country/state. Not my taste and was glad to get out of there! Some like it there, but I'm not 1!

EZ-E

Jackenstein extraordinaire
TGT Supporter
May 4, 2017
Middle of no where
Congrats on the purchase.

We just got 14acres in East Tx last year. The property had water & power ran, we just had to put in septic, extend some water lines & we had it mulched.

Septic.... traditional or areobic
Traditional you need sand soil, we paid about $5400. If you have clay soil you need areobic system....about $7500. Areobics also have more issues & moving parts to replace.

Our place was heavily wooded, so had the neighbor come down on his skid steer & rotary mulcher to clean up. We cleared about 5 acres of all the under brush & trees smaller than 7 inches. The down side to mulching is it doesn't get all the roots, so you have stuff growing up all the time. A bulldozer gets everything up, so dont have to worry about all old roots regrowing.

If you buy a skid steer & plan on mulching, you better have a hi pressure air compressor to clean out all the dirt & debris from the radiator & oil coolers.... those things get dirt built up pretty fast, about every 4 hours you need to blow it down... or you will over heat & burn it up.
My neighbor got his 1st one about 3 years ago. They had the motor replaced twice over that time. So original & 2 replacement engines.... those were replaced under warranty due to the hours in it. This last time, it had a injector go out & burn the engine up. Luckily they have some good farm & ranch insurance. Insurance totaled it out & they got a new one. They run a Kubota SVL95 with a rotary mulcher Vs a flat brush hog attachment. I think they got over $100k invested with machine & mulcher head.

The location & how wet it gets is also an issue. I have a buddy that just got property surrounded by black gumbo clay...if it rains... he ain't getting to work the next day...unless the sun comes out. So now he has to add a bunch of rock down his private rd... about 1/2 mile.

I talked to A & M forestry in Palestine a few months back about doing some timber harvestingon our place. They said most forestry guys want to harvest a minimum of 30 acres to make it worth their time. They also leave a mess. I was at a friend of a friends property a few months back & they had some pine harvested, they left a huge mess for him to clean up or burn.

All i have is a tractor with front loader & a brush hog to maintain our place. Its worked out pretty good since we already had it mulched. It cost us $5k to have him mulch for a week. Sure was alot cheaper than having to buy a skid steer & mulcher.

Last edited:

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics