• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    It’s never going to freeze 12” underground in Jasper ,Texas.
    Most parts of Texas, you could lay the pipe on the surface of the ground and it will never freeze!

Most of my water lines are less than 12" underground. Even during the Texas Freeze two years ago, none of my water lines froze or broke.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Most parts of Texas, you could lay the pipe on the surface of the ground and it will never freeze!

Most of my water lines are less than 12" underground. Even during the Texas Freeze two years ago, none of my water lines froze or broke.
    Just one more thing no one but a paid plumber wants to deal with when the time comes.

He most likely will be renting a ditch witch when the time comes, setting it deeper ain’t a really big deal.

A buddy thought he could rip a path using his tractor and a single tine. No such luck, and his money saving idea ended up cost him money in the bet he lost with me.

I had to replace a 30 foot water line at the house in Houston. And like that shit always happens do it after working all day. Digging in that Houston gumbo clay sucks hard, and I hand dug it. I was so tired I had a plumber actually replace the line the next day

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Just one more thing no one but a paid plumber wants to deal with when the time comes.

He most likely will be renting a ditch witch when the time comes, setting it deeper ain’t a really big deal.

A buddy thought he could rip a path using his tractor and a single tine. No such luck, and his money saving idea ended up cost him money in the bet he lost with me.

I had to replace a 30 foot water line at the house in Houston. And like that shit always happens do it after working all day. Digging in that Houston gumbo clay sucks hard, and I hand dug it. I was so tired I had a plumber actually replace the line the next day
    I hand dug my water line from the road to the house. Dug it right after we had a good rain and it was pretty easy to dig. Mostly sand too.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Yep. You spend more time prying the gumbo off the shovel (or post hole diggers if putting in a fence) than you do digging.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Yep. You spend more time prying the gumbo off the shovel (or post hole diggers if putting in a fence) than you do digging.
    I lost a perfectly good pair of Teva sandals digging it up. Both of them staying in the gumbo clay & had to be dug out. That being the final job of the day I tossed them aside. When I got around to cleaning them even powe washing them didn’t get that crap off.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I haven't checked in a while. Got a lot going on, but I'll document them here as time permits. I'm on FB marketplace nightly sourcing materials for my RV cover. It will be the same construction and my tractor shed. 4x4 steel poles, c purlins, receiver channel and r panel for the roof. Pretty simple build. Materials should run about 2k.

I need help sizing water line. 1200 ft run slightly up hill. Maybe a five foot rise in that distance. 1 or 1.5 inch?

To fund these projects I started another business and put the tractors and mini ex to work. So far I'm doing more cutting that digging. Brush cutting is a niche business in the middle of Houston but there is a demand for it. I'm cutting lots for businesses, real estate investors, home builders and some residential work. I get a lot of calls from people that own lots in the city that have been cited for high weeds and rat harborage. 2 - 10 acre lots that are too high for the zero turns that most landscapers use.

e2b8a3fdcc0c21a008c83b2e3f02334d.jpg

It's to the point I have to call in help on occasion to handle larger jobs. My buddy has a Ford 5000 with a 10ft cutter. I just cut a 10 acre retention pond for a retirement home that was being ticketed by the city. I see a 100hp tractor with a 15 ft batwing in my future if business stays the same.

2d48218d4893fa0b8c6f5d6eedc9fc81.jpg

On top of all of this, I'm in truck driving school. Getting my Class A, so I can haul some future toys.

95a20c031e83321141a40e2aa615e2e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I vote 1.5" because if you find out 1" is not enough you won't get around to redoing it. Do it right the first time.

Its awesome you are getting some side work for your tractor.
    Yeah I was thinking the same. Schedule 80 PVC about 2 ft down? I think that would handle our few and far between freezes.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    2 foot is likely overkill, it would take quite a while below freezing to chill the ground to that depth. But, if you got a trencher that'll do it, probably save you any future headache should you want to run anything else that would cross it.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Yeah I was thinking the same. Schedule 80 PVC about 2 ft down? I think that would handle our few and far between freezes.

Ditto on size. Check with the State for the max. frost line depth for your county. Side noter, make sure not to run electrical with your water. I was fixing a broken water line at my place and when I'm reaching into the water and mud filled trench I pull up some live Romex the Original owner had run in the same trench as the water. Fortunately, I had not nicked the Romex with my shovel.

Last edited:

PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    Well… I just read this thread from the start. Congrats on the land purchase, looks like things are really coming together out there. Congrats also on getting your class A license and the side hustle cutting grass. Hopefully you can retire from your full time job.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Well… I just read this thread from the start. Congrats on the land purchase, looks like things are really coming together out there. Congrats also on getting your class A license and the side hustle cutting grass. Hopefully you can retire from your full time job.
    I dont have it yet. My road test at DPS is supposed to be on the 15th but I have to push it back. I need more practice time on the backing maneuvers, the pre-trip inspection is no joke either. That takes about 45 minutes with the examiner.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Ditto on size. Check with the State for the max. frost line depth for your county. Side noter, make sure not to run electrical with your water. I was fixing a broken water line at my place and when I'm reaching into the water and mud filled trench I pull up some live Romex the Original owner had run in the same trench as the water. Fortunately, I had not nicked the Romex with my shovel.
    I've heard about people throwing a wire along with the water line so that it can be easily found with a metal detector. I can't see having a hot line in the same trench ever being a good idea. My only worry is 1200 ft of pvc is a lot of connections and opportunities for leaks.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I've heard about people throwing a wire along with the water line so that it can be easily found with a metal detector. I can't see having a hot line in the same trench ever being a good idea. My only worry is 1200 ft of pvc is a lot of connections and opportunities for leaks.

you might look at Pex. Not sure how large a diameter or how long a roll is. Would have less joints, I've seen longer runs of PVC though. Apparently, they Pex up to 3" in diameter

Last edited:

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Thanks for the update. Hadn't heard from you in a minute.

I was actually thinking about you the other day. I paid off my house and am seriously looking at a land purchase. Your posts on your land have been in the back of my mind.

Let me know if you see anything for sale in your area, maybe we could be neighbors!

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    coiled plastic tubing. - that red stuff. PEX is soft and will collapse. Put some wire in the trench with it so you can find it later. Couple feet deep and in a pipe where it goes under road. Heavy equipment will break it. Freeze isn't the problem.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom