• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXCrossfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    We always keep a box of latex gloves in our processing area just to make clean up easier and I still had them on from processing two smaller hogs when we took pictures of the big pig. We only eat the small ones, the big ones are nasty tasting. Wearing latex gloves when processing or cleaning wild animals is a good idea especially if your hands stay cut up like mine do most of the time from working on stuff, you never know what kinda funk critters carry.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    And watch out for ticks (same can be said of deer)...my wife was none too happy about picking ticks off our son after his last hunting trip where he helped skin a pig.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    And watch out for ticks (same can be said of deer)...my wife was none too happy about picking ticks off our son after his last hunting trip where he helped skin a pig.

Gotta do it quick while they are still warm....once they get cold, critters start finding "other" warm bodies.
    This is why my Dad always hated when people he would take hunting wanted to shoot pigs, lol....

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    Looks like you punched him in the nose, since its bleeding and all.

Can you give us specifics of how big the pig was, what gun you killed it with, what type and grain weight of ammo, distance of the shot, and other things that I can't think of now.

By the way, as mentioned earlier, pigs carry lots of wierd diseases that can be transmitted when cleaning them if you have any open cuts or scratches on your hands that may come in contact with the pig blood or meat. Always a good idea to deal witht pigs with gloves on.

TXCrossfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    Texas Patriot:

I think is what you want to know.

Hog: 175lbs which is decent but no where near the big boys we have taken. 300lbs+
    Rifle: Remington R25 .308
    Scope: Leupold VX-III 3x9x50 with illuminated reticle
    Load: Winchester ballistic tip 168 grain
    Distance: 75 - 80 yards down a four wheeler path through a palm grove.

I need to remove the original picture to allow download space for this picture but I can repost it later.

This is a picture of 2 smaller pigs taken the same night. Big hogs are nasty tasting but the smaller females are good eating.

The two smaller hogs in this picture (65lb – 70lb) where taken with the same set up as above from a distance of 55 – 60 yards with shots through the head (to save meat) from deer stands with red lights mounted on them.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    Are hogs blind to red light same as deer? I never heard that before, but it seems that it would be an ideal way to get hogs in some circumstances. Night hunting hogs is probably more effective than day hunts since lots of them critters like to lay up during daylight.

Thanks for the gorey, bloody pics. Makes me want to go huntin' again.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Hunting hogs at or near dark has been the most effective time for us. Our prime time has been approx between sunset up to early daybreak.

We've had good luck with red lights. We've also had decent luck with plain spotlights, as long as you were not close to them and didn't shine the light directly at them.

TXCrossfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    Yes sir red lights are the way to go. Doesn’t bother them at all. Hogs are a great fill in for off season hunting. You can take them year round, anytime of day or night and it keeps them cleaned out for deer season. They will quickly ruin a good deer site. Game Warden tells us they kill more fawn than coyotes ever thought of getting so we hunt them hard and fast.

Top Bottom