• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    I mounted the scope on my rifle but not too sure how much torque to put on the screws. Any recommendations? The only torque wrench I have is a 1/2" drive long handle for cars.
    DK Firearms

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Absent a torque screwdriver designed specifically for low torque specs such as scope mounting, an oft-used method is to use a regular L-shaped allen wrench and tighten with the "long end" inserted in the allen head screw. Using the "short end" as your leverage point, it is virtually impossible to over-tighten/strip the screw by hand using all of your force (the allen wrench will begin to twist). After this is done, I usually reverse the allen wrench and give it just one more little bump. Be sure to tighten the screws in a cross pattern in very small increments, and keep your eyes on the gap between the bases and top rings to make sure you've tightened them as evenly as possible.

some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    Thanks TXSUT! I did a little "searching" and found most of the expensive scopes require anywhere from 10 inch/lbs - 20 inch/lbs on the rings and about 50 inch/lbs on the base. Since I don't have a precision intrument I'm just going to do as you suggest.

Just for giggles I emailed the manufacturer of Center Point Optics, here's their reply:
    We do not have any torque requirements for mounting our scopes. We recommend turning the screw until it is secure. Some people have used Lock Tite on the screws to keep them tight.

If for some reason you damage the screws, you can contact us and we will send you out new ones.

Thank you~

Angel VanDruff
    Customer Service Representative

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Put a lil bit of clear fingernail polish over the screws after tightening them. It will keep them from coming loose.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom