• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been living in auodad country for about 7yrs now. I've always been told you can't eat them. But I was watching Steven Rinella yesterday hunt down at Big Bend. He said he was going to eat what he shot. Then I did a youtube search and there was a couple videos of folks cooking up some.

I'm not a wasteful person. I would hate to leave edible meat in the field. Seems the only part the videos where showing to be eaten was the backstrap.

I'll be taking one soon for my sister. I was going to use the body for bait... but now i'm second guessing it. I'd be so pissed at myself to find I left good meat for yotes and bobcats.

What's ya'll experience?
    Hurley's Gold

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    They are just another goat and yes they stink hard, but the meat does not and while it's tougher than a tractor tire you can make a decent stew out of it. Its a strong meat and you do need to cut it up into small pieces nor does it hurt to add some flavor from spices, jalapeños, curry, etc, but its edible...

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    How do you like your aoudad? Medium? Well done? Yeah, its great. Yeah, try some of these yams, try the grubs and the sugar ants. Just bite the end off, they're really sweet...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The only critter that'll think it's wasteful is you. The buzzards, coyote, red and grey fox, field mice will thank you.

If you're going to eat a musky, pi$$ smelling goat. None of the hair can touch the meat. If it does, it'll taste like pi$$. Careful cleaning of the carcass, pre soak in milk or vinagar and a long smoke will cover it up. Domestic goats are bad enough. Wear gloves when you clean it.....helps with the pi$$ smell not getting on you.

I've eaten goat. BBQ only....

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    They need to be bleeded out, more so then a pig. People around the world eat nasty shit by masking the taste with herbs & spices and cooking techniques! If your not a fan of middle eastern flavors you might want to pass on it.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Learned a new technique for the meat recently.

Quarter, then put in ice chest. Filler cooler with ice.

Put on a patio, with a couple 2x4's under the end without the plug.

Every day, drain the blood and water. Then refill with ice.

Do it for 6 days. The meat will be much milder. Being buried with ice keeps the meat.

Last edited:

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Learned a new technique for the meat recently.

Quarter, then put in ice chest. Filler cooler with ice.

Put on a patio, with a couple 2x4's under the end without the plug.

Every day, drain the blood and water. Then refill with ice.

Do it for 6 days. The meat will be much milder. Being buried with ice keeps the meat.
    I was expecting another line to this recipe:
    "Then throw it all in the trash & go to Cooper's for brisket".

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    The only critter that'll think it's wasteful is you. The buzzards, coyote, red and grey fox, field mice will thank you.

If you're going to eat a musky, pi$$ smelling goat. None of the hair can touch the meat. If it does, it'll taste like pi$$. Careful cleaning of the carcass, pre soak in milk or vinagar and a long smoke will cover it up. Domestic goats are bad enough. Wear gloves when you clean it.....helps with the pi$$ smell not getting on you.

I've eaten goat. BBQ only....
    THIS!

For you goat eaters:

Boss grabbed me and said got a couple of folks down here from the NYC office for meetings, they want some good Mex and I know you know where to take them.

I round them up and head out to a little hole in the wall joint on the edge of Dallas and Irving. We get there and its Thursday to which I comment, you are in luck, its Cabrito Thursday. I order from the wall Cabrito, and they even after looking at the menu they follow suit.

Shortly out come large trays (the kind of tray you put plates n stuff on to take back to the table at a buffet joint). And laying on it is BBQ'd ½ of a baby goat sans the head, tail and lower legs. Well, I dig in by ripping off the hind leg and am chewing the succulent meant with its Mesquite smoke and I notice they are just sitting there looking down at the trays, when one says I think I have the box it up and eat it in my hotel room, I ate so much on the plane this morning I can't eat a thing for lunch...they others chime in saying yes, great idea!

I say, its tastes as good cold as it does hot, they all have a look on their face telling me the goat is on its way to the round can....as I think, Yankee's, what would they know about good eating...

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    THIS!

For you goat eaters:

Boss grabbed me and said got a couple of folks down here from the NYC office for meetings, they want some good Mex and I know you know where to take them.

I round them up and head out to a little hole in the wall joint on the edge of Dallas and Irving. We get there and its Thursday to which I comment, you are in luck, its Cabrito Thursday. I order from the wall Cabrito, and they even after looking at the menu they follow suit.

Shortly out come large trays (the kind of tray you put plates n stuff on to take back to the table at a buffet joint). And laying on it is BBQ'd ½ of a baby goat sans the head, tail and lower legs. Well, I dig in by ripping off the hind leg and am chewing the succulent meant with its Mesquite smoke and I notice they are just sitting there looking down at the trays, when one says I think I have the box it up and eat it in my hotel room, I ate so much on the plane this morning I can't eat a thing for lunch...they others chime in saying yes, great idea!

I say, its tastes as good cold as it does hot, they all have a look on their face telling me the goat is on its way to the round can....as I think, Yankee's, what would they know about good eating...

Where is this hole in the wall? I wanna go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My godfather raised goats.
    Every year on my birthday he would give me one, then ask me how I wanted it.
    I always said, "cooked".

This was 50 or so years ago.

Top Bottom