• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Got family coming down from Virginia in early June. The lady loves plan so my usual of asking the concierge will be too late.

So, where do locals hide the best eats. Hotel is Drury Inn and Suites.

We'll be 'round for several meals inc'l a formal dinner. Just need to figure where.

Thanks in advance.
    Texas SOT

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Tied to Downtown/Riverwalk and what’s the budget?

First thoughts:

Southerleigh at The Pearl
    Biga on the Banks - Riverwalk
    Battalion - Downtown (for a memorable meal)
    ETA: Maverick Brasseire (Downtown)
    The Palm - Downton (Bring @TX OMFS and his wallet to pay)
    Mi Tierra at Market Square (cheap eats, destination location)

Like Pizza? Try Dough Pizzeria at 410/Blanco.

Nearby is Blanco BBQ; good all around and affordable. 2M Smokehouse on the SE side if you want to sit around from dawn waiting to see if you get some BBQ.

Give me a day to remember, I’m missing a place at The Pearl.

Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    We skip breakfast and pig out at Fogo de Chao (spelling?) usually when in SanAn.

That and Bill Miller’s. Prob not the standard you’re looking for but my family loves that place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    An SA icon - The Barn Door. On the northside of SA, but easy to get to from DT - I highly recommend their Chateaubriand for two. Informal dining - we're 2nd generation customers (and my kids are 3rd generation eating there).

If you're into just good BBQ without fancy, then "The Smokehouse" @ 3306 Roland Ave is a "must go".

If you like German Deli - Schilo's @ 424 E Commerce can NOT be missed!!

Josephine St Cafe - 400 E Josephine St. Again, just good plain food, but a quirky atmosphere.

Further out - El Chaparral - 15103 Bandera Rd in Helotes. Iconic Mexican cafe for almost 50 years.

IMO, Mi Tierra is no longer a "must go" - our last visit there two years ago was lousy, won't be going back. Also - they were 30.06 posted at one time - not sure if they still are.

There's several outstanding Brazilian Steakhouses in SA - that might make for your formal dinner. There's one downtown I am NOT a fan of personally, but our kids go there pretty often and like it.

Hope that helps!!

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    There’s a Kirby’s steakhouse about a half mile down the Loop 1604 service road from The Drury. Great steaks. Not cheap.

Be sure they are staying at the Drury Plaza, not the Drury Inn & Suites. They are side by side. The Plaza is the newer and nice one.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Oh, if you like sushi, there’s a Sushi Zushi just past Kirby’s, near the Norbert of Stone Oak Parkway and Loop 1604. Good stuff.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Head and shoulders, the best Brazilian is Brasao on I10 sandwiched between The Rim and The Dominion.

One idea I had if there’s time and enthusiasm is to hit up the Lockhart and Luling BBQ joints in a pub crawl manner.

I’d also second El Chaparral in Helotes (not the on 1604, just an entirely different experience).

Supper at Hotel Emma (The Pearl) is another crowd pleaser at our house.

La Villita Cafe for breakfast tacos. Sandia for a hole in the wall Mexican joint (Callaghan & Commerce).

I’ve never eaten at Rebelle (seafood), but have heard a lot of nothing but goodness.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    QFT.

BTW, what's that place that's been on all the food/travel shows that serves cinnamon buns the size of a birthday cake? And is it any good, otherwise?

benenglish,

NOPE. - The KING RANCH-sized cinnamon rolls are what the place did BEST. - The rest of their fare was "JUST OK".
    (The cinnamon rolls need about 3-4 people to eat just ONE unless they are afflicted with GLUTTONY. = HUGE.)

Fwiw, I've been known to order one, cut slices off to eat with coffee & take the rest home to munch on over 3-4 days.

BTW, as a result of the FOOLISHNESS of our LUNATIC, SELF-important Mayor & County Judge during this "pandemic", about HALF of SATX's BEST places to eat are G-O-N-E, GONE forever.

NOTE: "A little bird" told me that LULU's will reopen in the Summer or Fall.

just my OPINION, satx

Top Bottom