• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    They're from Virginia, give them good TexMex.

If it was my in-laws, I'd send them for TexMex in El Paso and stay home in SA. But that's just me.

Army 1911,

FYI, we San Antonio folk have LOTS of REALLY GOOD Tex-Mex places, so they need NOT go to El Paso del Norte to eat.
    (IF you don't know of any LOCAL & GREAT Tex-Mex, tell them to contact me *& I'll give them "our places".)

FYI, it's an "inside joke" In The Alamo City that more UGLY FIST-FIGHTS have started over WHO has the VERY BEST Tex-Mex food in town than have started over adultery.= San Antonians are SERIOUS about their Tex-Mex.
    (Btw, adults enjoy adultery more than most children enjoy childhood.)

yours, satx
    Target Sports

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    We skip breakfast and pig out at Fogo de Chao (spelling?) usually when in SanAn.

That and Bill Miller’s. Prob not the standard you’re looking for but my family loves that place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Miller's??? You've got to be kidding. That is a cruel joke to play on the OP.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Army 1911,

FYI, we San Antonio folk have LOTS of REALLY GOOD Tex-Mex places, so they need NOT go to El Paso del Norte to eat.
    (IF you don't know of any LOCAL & GREAT Tex-Mex, tell them to contact me *& I'll give them "our places".)

FYI, it's an "inside joke" In The Alamo City that more UGLY FIST-FIGHTS have started over WHO has the VERY BEST Tex-Mex food in town than have started over adultery.= San Antonians are SERIOUS about their Tex-Mex.
    (Btw, adults enjoy adultery more than most children enjoy childhood.)

yours, satx
    I wasn't going with them, I was getting rid of them. You missed the stay home part.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    La Gloria at the Pearl
    Lupe Tortilla in The Rim
    Magnolia Pancake Haus for breakfast

Service at El Chaparral has really gone downhill in the last 5 Years. The food quality also varies.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    The Palm - Downton (Bring @TX OMFS and his wallet to pay)
    Mi Tierra at Market Square

Yes, I do like the places that don't allow the poors and their damn Hi-Points.

As for Mi Tierra, their family has a new place in the Rim I haven't been to but my staff says is WAY better than Mi Tierra.

d1fe0703541f6c13234e34bbaebec6d9.jpg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

As for Mi Tierra, their family has a new place in the Rim I haven't been to but my staff says is WAY better than Mi Tierra.

It’s called La Familia; we went when they first opened and were unimpressed both with food and service; so much so that we haven’t wanted to give them a second chance. Seemed to be over priced for small servings.

Gloria’s Latin Cuisine is our go-to for Mexican in that area.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

TX OMFS,

Imo, MI TIERRA is a GREAT PLACE to CELEBRATE Fiesta but a REALLY POOR place to actually eat anything more than snacks with drinks.

My personal favorite for CHEAP/GOOD Tex-Mex is TIPPY'S TAKO HOUSE on Brooklyn, about a city block off Broadway.

WARNING: Do NOT go there between 1130-1330 M-F, as the place is packed/LOUD & both service/food SUFFER.
    (The same is TRUE for RUDY'S SEAFOOD on South Flores on any Friday after 1000, as all the conservative RC folks go there for fish/fries/etc. until closing time. = While RUDY'S FISH is GREAT, it's NOT SO WONDERFUL that you cannot go M-Th or Sat. RUDY'S is CLOSED all day SUN, btw.)

yours, satx

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Gloria’s Latin Cuisine is our go-to for Mexican in that area.

My kids would eat their black bean dip by the quart if I let them. I like their plantains.

I don't think of them as Mexican. They're Salvadorian I think. They started in DFW. We used to love them when we lived in DFW & were excited when they opened a San Antonio location.

Lupe Tortilla really is good for Tex-Mex in The Rim.

ETA: my staff said Mi Familia was offering a $300 sign-on bonus this week. Everyone is desperate for workers.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TX OMFS,

FYI, I think of GLORIA'S as PAN-Central American to include some dishes from the DR , HAITI, BRAZIL & VENEZUELA.

MEXICAN it is NOT, for sure.

yours, satx

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I don't think of them as Mexican.

Dude, they have fajitas and enchiladas. On second thought, they don’t have a Mexican plate, so maybe you’re right.

Best Mexican joint we ever ate at was in Paris, Froglandia. The owner was a Frog diplomat to Mexico City for about 99.44% of his career. Said Frog Dip retired back to Gay Paris and his wife missed the food, so she hired all the chefs and staff at her favorite restaurants in Mex City, imported them to Froglandia, and opened her own joint. Very hole in the wall in a shitty section of the city, and quickly became the best Mexican joint in all of Europe.

She hosts every night, so I shared my background and she said “We don’t fûck it up because we buy from Texan and Mexican suppliers and have it air shipped daily.” I asked who did her spices, she replied “Bolner’s for dried.”

I nearly cried out loud.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    toddnjoyce,

My favorite Tex-Mex joint OCONUS is HOTEL CALIFORNIA in ZWIEBRUCKEN, BRD.
    (That place has GREAT Tex-Mex & the BEST MD-style crab-cakes that I've had anyplace outside of TX & the Eastern Shore.)

Turns out that a German hotelier met/married a LATINA schoolteacher from Del Rio & took her home to Germany.
    When she got SERIOUSLY HOMESICK & threatened to return to South TX, he suggested that her ENTIRE FAMILY move to Germany & the family decided to open a Tex-Mex cafe/TX-style dance hall.
    (The GREAT crab-cakes are a result of hiring a SFC's wife from MD as "kitchen help", who used to bring "leftover crab cakes" to her job. = When LUISA GONZALEZ-KLIEST ate one, she insisted that the crab cakes be added to the menu.)

yours, satx

Top Bottom