Texas SOT

Eccentric Behaviors - what have you seen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stuhoevel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    San Antonio
    We had a CFO that started counting how many cups we used in a day. He didn't last to much longer after that.

We used to joke about my Grandmother that we didn't let her do dishes because she wanted to wash and reuse the paper plates and plastic ware.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    There are MANY 1%'s like that. I worked with a woman whose uncle worked at the Pasadena paper mill (Champion?). He retired in the late 70's.
    He bought all his clothes at thrift stores, never married, rode a bike to work (and everywhere else after retirement), often ate at food kitchens, and was thought to be poor. She said that growing up, various members of the family would take him food to make sure that he had something to eat.

When he died the family found several millions of dollars worth of silver coins in socks stored throughout the house.
    Each sock was stuffed with exactly the same weight of silver.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Grand ma used a turkey roaster to water the chickens except on Thanksgiving. Mother wished she would have found that out a bit earlier. Farmers at least had food during the Depression.
    According to my father, same in Germany at the end of the war... everybody else was starving.

My father wore khakis as everyday and work clothes from the end of the war until the early 60's when he suddenly changed to the black slacks and blue shirts that he wore till the end of his life.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    According to my father, same in Germany at the end of the war... everybody else was starving.

My father wore khakis as everyday and work clothes from the end of the war until the early 60's when he suddenly changed to the black slacks and blue shirts that he wore till the end of his life.
    Any known reason for the change?

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Any known reason for the change?
    I don't know for certain, but probably the khakis required starch and ironing while the slacks and shirts were permanent press. My mother and father divorced in 58 when I was 3, and my father moved back with his mother who was aging. His sister lived next door and cared for her mother and did the washing and ironing, including my father's. They had no dryer, so clothes were hung to dry, necessitating the ironing, so the clothing change probably occurred in '65 when his mother died and he had to start washing and drying his own clothes... so, probably a very practical reason...

Frankly, I had never considered the reason until you asked, thinking the eccentricity was in his always single or two color wardrobe, but even that was probably practical for it's simplicity.

Most people's eccentricities probably make sense to them...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Parents, grandparents and great-grandparents that lived through the Depression learned some valuable life skills that many used for many years afterwards. One of the most prevailing was the distrust of banks. Even after he did start using banks, he still would keep a large sum of money hid away at home.

My grandfather never put money into a bank until a few years before he passed away in the early 1970's. He never had credit, and he paid for everything with cash. He built six or seven houses during his lifetime, and when they were finished, every bit was paid for. When he bought a car or truck, he got the most stripped down version they had.

One of the valuable lessons he taught my father, and was passed to my brother and i, was to take care of the things you have and they will last a long time.

Today, many would see that as eccentric. They did it as a matter of being practical and being able to survive. Some may view being eccentric as being a bit off, or not right in the head. Being eccentric makes sense to that person because of sometimes, a unique set of circumstances in that person's life.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Growing up as a kid I thought this was normal!

I thought all 7 year olds cooked fried chicken standing on a chair over a cast iron skillet of grease.

In reality my mom was a psychotic loony tune who was less than attentive.

On the plus side I was quite independent.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

Sounds like what my daughter will be saying about me, khaki cargo shorts and western style shirts with snaps. I tend to find them once a year on clearance and will buy whatever I can then.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Way back in the day, I rented a room from my buddy who owned the house.

His brother, a wedding photographer, also lived there. He was an odd duck…and in his line of work, he kept crazy hours.

At any rate, one evening around 3am, I hear a commotion so I get up to investigate.

There’s a tuxedo on the lawn, and the brother is hosing it off.

Turns out, this is normal for him.

Rather than have the tux dry cleaned every week, he would just hose it off and let it hang dry until his next gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Way back in the day, I rented a room from my buddy who owned the house.

His brother, a wedding photographer, also lived there. He was an odd duck…and in his line of work, he kept crazy hours.

At any rate, one evening around 3am, I hear a commotion so I get up to investigate.

There’s a tuxedo on the lawn, and the brother is hosing it off.

Turns out, this is normal for him.

Rather than have the tux dry cleaned every week, he would just hose it off and let it hang dry until his next gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Ok..

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Black powder shooters. They're throwed off.
    Shut_Your_Whore_Mouth_1_jpg-1120442.jpg

Top Bottom