ARJ Defense ad

Eccentric Behaviors - what have you seen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I know people have some really strange compulsions and I think there was even a TV show on for a while that highlighted people with eccentric / unusual behaviors.
    Anyway, another thread brought this to mind, and I remembered that I had a great aunt that insisted on unscrewing light bulbs to turn them off so that she wouldn't wear out the light switches in the house!
    My grandmother rinsed, dried, and re-used paper towels back in the late '70's because they were "expensive".
    I'm sure some behaviors like that were prompted by memories of the depression or other trials and tribulations. Still, others, might be brought about by mental decline.
    What eccentric/strange behaviors have you witnessed in life?
    I'm not talking about unfortunate folks with disabilities or mental issues - just "normal" people with eccentricities, please.
    I don't think I have any..., yet...
    Venture Surplus ad

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Does having a full serving set of Cool Whip containers count? My grandparents were depression era babies. Hard to throw away anything that may be found useful later. We literally had two dozen frickin cool whip "bowls" that we'd use as cereal or soup bowls. We had glass bowls, nice ones at that, but you were chided to use the plastic at every opportunity.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    My one grandfather did not like banks. His money was spread out in pockets of clothes hanging up & folded.
    My grandfather had jars buried on his 20 acres for the same reason. Grandma gave us the map when he died. He also had a false front of "stacked 2x4s" in the a-frame of his well house where he stored loads of cash when they would winter down in south Texas. He placed shotgun shells between nails on 2x4s in his windows with wires running from the board as if they would go off if you broke into his house when he was traveling/wintering. Then the re-use, hoarding and fleet of half-running lawn mowers he kept.

Growing up as a kid I thought this was normal!

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Black powder shooters. They're throwed off.

HEY NOW!!!

My parents too were depression era kids. Not sure it's exactly eccentric, but my dad will fix anything he possibly can. He'll see some yard tool or electric appliance in someone's trash, and can't help himself other to pick it up and try to fix it. He's damn good at it too and I've sure learned a lot. In his retirement, he's the neighborhood fix-it man too, which is good for him socially.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I knew a guy that drove a VW Beetle back in the early 80s. He was so "thrifty" that he would only fill up the tank in the mornings. He was convinced that later in the day, that gasoline expands from the ambient temperature and he would get more fuel for the money by filling up when it was cool.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    HEY NOW!!!

My parents too were depression era kids. Not sure it's exactly eccentric, but my dad will fix anything he possibly can. He'll see some yard tool or electric appliance in someone's trash, and can't help himself other to pick it up and try to fix it. He's damn good at it too and I've sure learned a lot. In his retirement, he's the neighborhood fix-it man too, which is good for him socially.
    Seriously, Moonpie, Robert and jrbfishn have some cool stuff.
    They're still throwed off.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I knew a guy that drove a VW Beetle back in the early 80s. He was so "thrifty" that he would only fill up the tank in the mornings. He was convinced that later in the day, that gasoline expands from the ambient temperature and he would get more fuel for the money by filling up when it was cool.
    Hey. THAT'S eccentric behavior?
    Uh-oh. Maybe I DO exhibit eccentric behavior!
    But I don't drive a VW beetle, ANYMORE!

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    My grandfather had jars buried on his 20 acres for the same reason. Grandma gave us the map when he died. He also had a false front of "stacked 2x4s" in the a-frame of his well house where he stored loads of cash when they would winter down in south Texas. He placed shotgun shells between nails on 2x4s in his windows with wires running from the board as if they would go off if you broke into his house when he was traveling/wintering. Then the re-use, hoarding and fleet of half-running lawn mowers he kept.

Growing up as a kid I thought this was normal!
    Had a great uncle that buried his money in his yard too. Grew up during the depression. His trucks were always rusted out Chevy Luvs or Ford Couriers that were cast offs from the chemical plants in Freeport. He know when the grocery stores would throw out their stale or expired food and would take it home. At first glance you’d think he was darn near penniless but when he passed, let’s just say he was found to be a 1 percenter.

Top Bottom