Eccentric Behaviors - what have you seen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I’m no fan of spaghetti, but do eat it. Mom’s spaghetti was fair to poor, and got all mixed up. Jars sauces made it somewhat better. There were plenty of Italians around grew up, but they all made meat sauce.

Spaghetti alla puttanesca, was one of my first sauces to make from scratch along with carbonara. Last time I made white clam linguine my stomach couldn’t handle it.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Grew up in a town of mostly Italians, and I can tell you from experience the way "they" do it is all over the map.

We're too lazy to twirl or cut spaghetti noodles, so we do rotini instead.
    We also mix a small bit of the sauce into the noodles, just enough to keep them from getting sticky. The rest is mixed on your plate as you choose.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    My parents grew up poor, really poor. Sometimes a meal would be two slices of homemade bread with butter smeared over and sliced onions. I still like this, and the buttered crackers! Spaghetti was a no-go, it was potatoes since that was grown in the garden.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I remember when we would go camping/fishing/hunting and Dad could not wait to eat pork and beans straight out of the can. Mom saw that as barbaric behavior and he couldn't get away with it at home. But as soon as we got in the boat or out in the woods he whipped out the p38 and opened a can of pork and beans - straight out of the can! He always said that's the way they were meant to be eaten.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    A storm cellar.
    I just got to sleep. Leave me here. I'll be OK.
    Nope. Everyone in the house. Up and out into the dungeon!
    I'd rather die in a storm than crawl my groggy ass to a cellar.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I remember when we would go camping/fishing/hunting and Dad could not wait to eat pork and beans straight out of the can. Mom saw that as barbaric behavior and he couldn't get away with it at home. But as soon as we got in the boat or out in the woods he whipped out the p38 and opened a can of pork and beans - straight out of the can! He always said that's the way they were meant to be eaten.
    We had these can grippers and would cut off the top of a can of beans, heating them up next to the fire. The gripper allowed you to to hold the hot can.

Many an outdoor trip was Van Camp Pork & Beans with either hot dogs or Smokey Links skewered on a sharpened stick held over the fire.

When we first shopped H‑E‑B in Mexia I noticed Oscar Mayer smokie links. I ain’t seen them in years and it brought back memories. I might look at a package, but they better not have chicken & turkey in them! Birthdays meant we got locally made smokies. Wonder if that place still exist?

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    A friends mom owned a cafe and would wash and reuse the plastic straws. Ewwww!
    My Grandma would keep straws in a drawer just for us grandkids when we came for Sunday dinner. I'm sure she washed them and kept them for next time. We all learned the hard way to check inside the straws for a dead roach.

My wife washes the dishes before she puts them in the dishwasher. That's fine. Keeps me from having to clean out the strainer in the bottom of dishwasher.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    My Dad used to save everything that he might use someday. He said that the day after you threw something away, you would find a use for it. His motto was to keep everything for seven years. If you hadn't found a use for it in seven years, keep it another seven years.
    Lot of truth to that. It may not be the next day, but very soon after you toss it. And that's regardless of how many years you've had it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Lot of truth to that. It may not be the next day, but very soon after you toss it. And that's regardless of how many years you've had it.

I have found that to be true as well. We call it being pack rats!

I'm lucky to have the room to be able to be a pack rat. I have a huge junk pile of junk that I refuse to get rid of because I might need a part off something. Plus my brother uses it as the golf cart graveyard! There is about eleven or twelve old golf carts there.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    A guy I worked with used to fill up the tank on his G-ride every day, even if he had only driven enough to burn a gallon or two of gas that day.

Another guy from work, a fellow firearms instructor, used to often say: "A clean gun is a happy gun. So, when you shoot it you need to clean it immediately it, then you must test fire it and because you just shot it again - clean it...". Some thought that was eccentric, I thought it was a brilliant excuse to keep shooting.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Eccentric behaviors...where to start?

There is this online forum where these people just talk about how much they love guns. One of their ringleaders is always trying to get them to post new pictures. It's a strange place.

I have actually heard of such places. I might have even belonged to a few of them!

Yes, very strange places indeed!

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Do not consider it an eccentricity but I suppose some younger folks might do so today: I am stocked up on things like food, water and things like some first aid supplies - enough to last at least a couple of months if not longer. I've also been buying clothes I do not need right now and stock piling them for when I do need them. My pension is not about to become any substantial amount more but I am betting inflation is coming soon that will make it seem like a lot less. Stocking up on things is a product of having been a Cold War child I suppose and maybe also a by-product of having a mom who lived through the depression and of having my mother-in-law and a few friends whose parents lived through WWII in Germany.

Last edited:

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    My Dad used to save everything that he might use someday. He said that the day after you threw something away, you would find a use for it. His motto was to keep everything for seven years. If you hadn't found a use for it in seven years, keep it another seven years.
    My dad kept everything and fixed everything. He was always able to find a part that would work to fix whatever was broken.
    He always said, "junk is that stuff you throw away and need three days later!"

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Does having a full serving set of Cool Whip containers count? My grandparents were depression era babies. Hard to throw away anything that may be found useful later. We literally had two dozen frickin cool whip "bowls" that we'd use as cereal or soup bowls. We had glass bowls, nice ones at that, but you were chided to use the plastic at every opportunity.

This reminds me of cleaning out my grandparents place after they both had passed. Piles and piles of meat trays, take out containers, butter tubs, you name it, my grandmother saved them. I don't know how she managed to fit so many into such a small kitchen but she did.

I keep joking with the Mrs. that some day we'll be grown ups and have a matching set of drinking glasses instead of plastic take-out cups and who even knows where we got 'em Libby 16 oz. tumblers.

Heh. We have a matching set of glasses but we never use them except when company comes over. Usually it's Tervis tumblers or Rudy's cups for us.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    This reminds me of cleaning out my grandparents place after they both had passed. Piles and piles of meat trays, take out containers, butter tubs, you name it, my grandmother saved them. I don't know how she managed to fit so many into such a small kitchen but she did.

Heh. We have a matching set of glasses but we never use them except when company comes over. Usually it's Tervis tumblers or Rudy's cups for us.
    I've started to get cups from other places: Cowboy Chicken has some cool orange ones; Fuzzies' Tacos; the ballpark in Frisco has some cool ones; Newks has a rotating selection of different colors.

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Does having a full serving set of Cool Whip containers count? My grandparents were depression era babies. Hard to throw away anything that may be found useful later. We literally had two dozen frickin cool whip "bowls" that we'd use as cereal or soup bowls. We had glass bowls, nice ones at that, but you were chided to use the plastic at every opportunity.

Geez, you would not believe all the crap like this we pulled out of my parents house. Born in 1924.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom