• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Aren't the Allen keys supposed to be staked to prevent loosening? Hard to be believe that they would be loose from the factory.

Here is a link to a great guide to AR features and manufacturers:

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

There was a summary table that appears to have been edited out since I captured the webpage several months ago. I don't know how to attach pictures, so if you want it, let me know and I can email.
    Lynx Defense

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    interesting article.

He called me a "sheep" though.

I'd like to think I'm at least a sheep with teeth.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    a wolf in sheep's clothing, eh?

I learned a lot from that article - enough to select all of the components to build my first AR

Based on the article and other reading, I went with a 16" CMMG, mid-length upper on a CMMG stripped lower and parts kit

I am very pleased with the reliability and accuracy of this AR, comparable to my "store bought" Colt

mhall8811

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Spring
    Great article. I have been reading and reading and reading over the last 2 months about all this (I'm buying my 1st AR tomorrow... probably). I was going to build my own, but I decided to shop the EE on ar15 and TGT and found a reasonably price used one. I did this mainly to gain some "hands on" experience w/ the rifle before I start hand picking components.
    I think I learned myself right back to confused!

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Once you get your rifle and start to "play around" with it, everything becomes much easier to understand. The amount of info (and opinion) out there is overwhelming, but it's really not all that complicated.

Good luck with the new purchase.

marshs313

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    central texas
    Ive always built or bought mine in pieces. My first ar15 a dpms m4 style carbine I purchased the lower for 330 the upper I found for 530 for a total cost of 860 msrp 904 and I escaped the excise tax and due to a snafu by the shop they waived the tax and I paid sticker for the upper. I also built a spikes tactical st22 with a smith and wesson mp15 lower with a dpms Lower parts kit and a tapco buttstock and buffer tube w/ buffer and spring. With most shops getting more rifles and lowers and lpk's back in stock you could easily do this by getting a lower stripped or complete and then buy the upper of your choice online.

marshs313

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    central texas
    Personally for the uppers I would look at websites like bravo company, midway, brownells, gunkings, and various others that can be viewed in the dealers section of the ar15 forums industry tab. I believe for a dpms I would look at midway they have some in stock finally and I would hop on them was even looking at picking up a 6.8 ap4 contour from dpms off midway but decided to save for a bohica far mk3 or a ferret 50.

nhm16

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    You can get a Bravo Co. mid-length upper, BCG, and charging handle for about $660. Add about $20 for handguards. Anvil Arms sells complete lowers for $250 plus a transfer fee, you can probably find one locally for about the same. So for about $930 you can have an AR that's about as good as it gets, quality wise.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Buds is showing the LE carbine at $808 delivered. They also have the special purpose or hbar 20" for $876 delivered and all are currently in stock. I own an armalite flat top and will probably own at least 2 more armalites before I am done. Why piece together one for more when you can buy own with all the best features for less. PS made in the USA(Illinois) to boot.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Looks like an excellent AR setup. That's what I was trying to get across with the link to "So You Want an AR-15" thread on another forum.

For a few hundred extra $ and by checking the right boxes on a site like CMMG's or shopping the smaller tactical companies, you can get a much better (more reliable, more accurate, and longer-lasting) AR than what the low-end manufacturers make.

cnl390

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    I was thinking of buying another Mini-14, but if I'm going to pay upwards to $800, I'm thinking I may go the AR route. What would be a good economical brand of AR to start out with? I've seen some DPMS AR's going in the $800-$1k range, but I've heard mixed reviews. I'm wanting a basic carbine, but a full size AR will work if I can get it cheaper. Thanks in advance.

I sent you a PM on something you might be interested in.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Academy is selling Bushmasters.

Robbie of Lone Star Guns brings Rock river Arms ARs to every gunshow.

Or pick up a stripped lower from Robbie or Jen Workman of Texas Tactical and build it yourself by mail order.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I did the gun show a couple of weekends ago and got..
    DPMS Stripped lower - $105.00
    Lower Parts Kit - $ 90.00
    Model 1 A3/4 upper - $460.00

Total cash $655.00 + tax

45 minutes after I got home It was ready to shoot

Now, if you want to make the trip to Lake Charles over Labor day weekend it is Louisiana tax fee weekend on guns, ammo and hunting stuff.

See this post for details
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...ales-tax-guns-louisiana-laborday-weekend.html

Top Bottom