• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seven7VII

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2020
    Williamson County
    Who all carries a full size pistol? What is your carry, what holster do you like, and why don't you go with a compact frame? Any other advantages beyond capacity and maybe velocity? Thanks in advance.
    Military Camp

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Commander-sized 4.25” double stack 1911. Tucker HF-2 OWB holster.

I don’t care for the pinky ledge on shorter grip handguns nor the toothpick-length sight radius.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Carrying a full sized gun during the fall and winter is easier since you can layer up. A heavy coat is great for concealing a large gun. In the summer? That's going to be a lot harder. The largest gun I have ever carried was a 1911, and that was only with an OWB holster and a heavy coat.

I prefer compact guns. As far as self defense goes, I do not feel that they are that much of a compromise. The practical benefits far outweigh any disadvantages that they might have in some "what if" scenario. Statistically speaking, self defense shooting often happen at very close ranges, and only require a few rounds. The idea that you are going to be in an extended shootout where you need a lot of ammo, and need the ability to hit threats at longer ranges is not a realistic one. Yes, it can happen. It's exceedingly unlikely to happen though. Go watch a bunch of self defense shootings on youtube and see how they actually go down.

Don't take that as a knock on full sized guns. If that's what you want to carry, then by all means do so.

Remember that any gun that you carry is better than the one you leave at home. Personally, I prefer guns around the size of a Glock 19 or even a bit smaller. That seems like the sweet spot for a gun with a good capacity, weight, size, and shootability. For full sized carry, a good holster is a must. I prefer Alien Gear, though I have never tried a full sized gun in one of their holsters. As said before, how you dress is going to determine how successfully you can conceal your gun. Jeans and a T-shirt probably won't be enough without seriously printing, and you can't wear a coat in the summer. My go to style of dress in college was a plain T-shirt with an untucked, unbuttoned over shirt. I was carrying a compact IWB, but it might work for a full sized too.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    I carry both compact and full size. Depends on the mood. When I go large it’s a CZ75B 4.6” barrel in a kydex holster. I carry with one in the chamber with hammer decocked and safety off. First pull is in DA at 12lbs. Munitions capacity is 16+1 and an extra 16 round mag holstered on my non shooting hip. This particular firearm IMHO is one of the best fighting handguns on the market.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've tried a bunch of guns, ranging from a Shield, XDS, Glock 19, Glock 26, and P365.
    Since i only carry IWB, I don't feel comfortable with anything bigger than a Glock 26.
    Currently carry a P365.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Tisas ZIGANA K, which is about he same size & weight as a standard-size Colt's Commander but in 9x19mm & holds 16 shots, in a HANDMADE ERNESTO HERNANDEZ left-hand OWB holster. = BEAUTIFUL pistol at a LOW price.
    (Senor Hernandez will be making ALL of my belts & holsters, as he does GREAT WORK, quickly, at a reasonable price & will make me what i want, W/O argument.)
    NOTE: LOTS of leather-smiths make what THEY like/want to wear. - OTOH, I am THE EXPERT on what I LIKE/WANT, though my choices may suit nobody but me.

yours, satx

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Aw hell, I'll play.

Full size 5 inch 1911 and then Glock 17. Daily for 30 years or so. The last 20 concealed mostly in a G Code or Comp Tac IWB Kydex holster. Before Kydex in a Galco holster of various types. Not counting Duty gear or a model 66 S&W 357 4 inch. Paired with a 64 off duty.

Only the last few did I go Glock 19. Probably will go Glock 48 soon.

Always 2 or 3 mags if single stack or 1 or 2 Glock 17 mags regardless of the model of Glock handgun. In Comp Tac weak side OWB Kydex. 1911 mags were leather. For old time revolver it was a strong side 1 o'clock tripple speed loader rig.

AZ has always been permit less open carry so I, like most back then, never bothered to conceal or buy concealment gear and no one cared or noticed. That changed when off duty or about early 90s when I went always concealed unless on duty or shooting hunting camping etc.

PSA......
    Here again I take this moment to preach proper mag carry, orientation, direction and equipment. Do you even know what is proper? Dont be that guy fumbling your reload, loading backwards or dropping the mag all together. The life you save may be mine.
    END PSA.

Fat is beneficial in 2 things. 1 taking people down who dont want to be and hiding full size handguns IWB. As I get older and lighter my desire and ability to do both diminishes with my weight. I hope to continue those endeavors.

Last edited:

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    Aw hell, I'll play.

Full size 5 inch 1911 and then Glock 17. Daily for 30 years or so. The last 20 concealed mostly in a G Code or Comp Tac IWB Kydex holster. Before Kydex in a Galco holster of various types. Not counting Duty gear or a model 66 S&W 357 4 inch. Paired with a 64 off duty.

Only the last few did I go Glock 19. Probably will go Glock 48 soon.

Always 2 or 3 mags if single stack or 1 or 2 Glock 17 mags regardless of the model of Glock handgun. In Comp Tac weak side OWB Kydex. 1911 mags were leather. For old time revolver it was a strong side 1 o'clock tripple speed loader rig.

AZ has always been permit less open carry so I, like most back then, never bothered to conceal or buy concealment gear and no one cared or noticed. That changed when off duty or about early 90s when I went always concealed unless on duty or shooting hunting camping etc.

PSA......
    Here again I take this moment to preach proper mag carry, orientation, direction and equipment. Do you even know what is proper? Dont be that guy fumbling your reload, loading backwards or dropping the mag all together. The life you save may be mine.
    END PSA.

Fat is beneficial in 2 things. 1 taking people down who dont want to be and hiding full size handguns IWB. As I get older and lighter my desire and ability to do both diminishes with my weight. I hope to continue those endeavors.
    Wow!!! Dam good post.... Well Done

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    75%: G22 in a Keepers Concealment AIWB holster with just a t-shirt over it. Saying it "prints" is an understatement. That's not something I worry about.

20%: J-frame S&W .357 IWB or in an overall bib pocket. Yes, it's visible.
    PSA: Do you even know proper tactical Carhartt wear?

5%: G22 or G17 in a Safariland ALS (OWB).

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Year-round with a Tucker & Byrd OWB holster...

XDM952545BHC_9.jpg

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet!

Attachments

• XDM952545BHC_9.jpg
      XDM952545BHC_9.jpg
      247.7 KB · Views: 801

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I sometimes concealed a SIG SP2022 in an IWB Crossbreed tuckable holster with good success - but then, I'm not a skinny guy. I've also concealed a 1911A1 in a DeSantis OWB holster - with a long enough shirt tail it's not noticeable, and when the bottom of the holster does peek out nobody notices.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    When I buy pants or shorts, the first thing that I do is check the depth of the front pockets. If they aren't deep, I move along. I prefer to pocket carry as opposed to other methods of carry.
    I carry a Glock 19 in my right front pocket all day, every step. Yes, I wear suspenders along with my Fat Boy belt. I carried the G19 for a long time and last fall I changed to a Glock 43. I carried it until the Covid panic and the peaceful protests started. Then, I thought I'd better go back to the G19 with a few more rounds at the ready.
    Most people don't believe me when I say I pocket carry a G19. That's OK.

PC1.jpg
    PC2.jpg

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    99% of the time, its this, an M9a3G (without the wml)
    20200420_173014.jpg
    holster is an alien gear cloak tuck. I know lots of people have issues with alien gear, but i have yet to have any. Good retention, holds its shape, is decently durable...

It hides better than my G19 ever did.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I carry full size, as well as dual carry when I am hiking and camping the back country of wherever.

I will carry a 454 Casull Super Redhawk in a drop leg, and a 92FS in cross carry.

however, on a daily basis to Wally World etc... I dual carry a derringer in cross carry, and a p365.

Sometimes if I am hiking but not in the back country, I will carry my 92FS in a drop leg.

Top Bottom